Game difficulty & "achievements"
03-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Game difficulty & "achievements"
This is a half rant and half not thread.

The not part begins here...

Ok so is it just me or are new games (2007+) way too difficult now compared to even games from the 90's? I'm not saying there hasn't been difficult games or anything but what I'm more referring to are the shear lack of not only selectable "difficulty levels" but gaming "achievements" that require you to only do it on the hardest of difficulty. Case in point is for instance the Madden NFL series on the XBOX 360, I just happened to be playing Madden 10 (bought it for $2 after all) and I was thinking "wouldn't it be cool to get some achievements like I have with some other XBOX 360 games"? So I start to look at the achievements list and saw stuff like; "come back to win a game after being down in the last 2 minutes" or "stop adrian peterson for a loss 3 times in a game". So I was like "cool", then noticed it said on "All-Pro" difficulty and was like "oh ok". I started playing on this difficulty level and omg it is so not realistic and flat-out the computer cheats to win. Seriously the difference between "All-Pro" and the next easiest one down is like night and day.

I ran in to this with the Project Gotham Racing series, most of the good achievements have to be done on the harder difficulty levels or the other opponent racers simply cheat by the all-of-a-sudden increase in speed to "catch up" or "lose" you when they are in 1st place. These aren't the only games either, in fact it is a plague across all platforms and genres. I even unfortunately ran in to this in Blue Dragon as well...but that is saved for my final review coming soon.

It's one thing to have achievements but it is another to make them either only available for the harder difficulty or for people who have the time to sit in front of the TV playing games all day or even just not generally being available to get by the casual gamer. Shouldn't achievements be something that even a casual player can obtain without too much trouble? Or why not just make achievements for both the serious gamer and the casual gamer? If say Madden 10 had that comeback from behind achievement available for the beginner, intermediate, and advanced difficulty levels I would be very pleased. This gives me something to strive for or additional motivation if I want to get something beyond the easier difficulty levels. If not then I still got a reward for something.

--------------

That brings me to the rant side of the equation.

Almost ever new game I play is either too difficult for casual play or is just flatout too hard even for a seasoned gamer. I miss the days of proper difficulty choices and games that you don't get frustrated at beyond even marginal enjoyment. Back in the 8-bit and 16-bit era a bunch of games were difficult yes but a large potion had difficulty level settings that actually worked and for the ones that didn't I still remember having at least marginal fun while cussing out the TV. LOL Now I just cuss out the TV and turn the game off before I throw a good old fashioned tantrum. I just don't have the time, patience, or passion to deal with this shit anymore. I cannot even enjoy well over 90% of any game released beyond 2007-ish because I just cannot stop getting frustrated to the point of getting beyond pissed off. I know my gaming skills have dimenished over time but I still consider myself as someone with a good skill set and the ability to succeed at playing various genres. Sad thing is I have all these games that I wanted to play that I've bought over the years but as I'm slowly starting to play them the more I realize that they are just too frustrating for me to play beyond 5 minutes.

I again have more fun playing new-to-me games from the 80's/90's where I can stil have a challenge while not getting frustrating.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2013, 04:53 AM
RE: Game difficulty & "achievements"
It's backwards for me. Every game that comes out that I play seems to be too easy and lacks story, feels like tons of eye candy. I remember breaking many nes and snes controllers growing up lol.
Find all posts by this user
03-10-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm with Thalack here. 99% of all modern games are too easy. I haven't been frustrated with a game for a long, long time until recently of course. The only games that are worthy of being hard are Demon's Souls and its sequel Dark Souls (makers of King's Field on PS1, From Software). The latter even has a subtitle of "Prepare to Die," which is true. I have spent 93 hours on Dark Souls, and I probably spent 40 hours dying! Haha, I'm not exaggerating! But other than those 2 games, I don't try very hard in order to beat other games these days. Back in the day, almost every other game it was almost impossible to beat.

Now, I have noticed my gaming skills have increased over the years. For example, I popped in the original Ninja Gaiden for the NES last year to just see if I could get further than before. I almost beat the game this time! When I was younger, I couldn't even get to the last level, much less beat the game! But phew, the last boss in that game is super hard!

I do agree with JCE about achievements though. However, since it's a fairly new addition to video games, I don't really care about it. I just beat the game. That's good enough for me.
Find all posts by this user
05-25-2013, 02:15 AM
I meant to reply back to this topic but forgot. Haha...

Anyway, maybe it depends on the types or genres of games that we all play? RPGs and some action/adventure games are not very difficult on average yes. Sports, FPS (console) and racing games were the primary reason for my topic. And between them racing games are the most difficult for me. Maybe I'm just set in my ways and too familiar with the old school versions of these genres?

Make sense?

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user