Becoming an expat?
11-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Becoming an expat?
I can't find an entry level software engineering job, I have about 55k in student loans, and I'm too old/weak to do wild land firefighting like I planned. My next plan is to find a way to leave the country and avoid the issue until one of two things happens:

1. The H1b and various other visa programs (that resulted in roughly 57% of all tech workers in the USA being foreign nationals) ends, or
2. Student loan debt can be discharged through bankruptcy or otherwise ignored without consequence.

I have a passport and no criminal history (only misdemeanor 3 traffic violations from over 8 years ago). I just need to figure out:
* how I'll make money,
* decide on a country,
* determine what hoops to jump through to get legal permanent residence,
* pay to jump the hoops,
* buy a ticket over there,
* get a place and all the other stuff you need to live, and
* start making money.

Any ideas?

I could do ESL but I know nothing about teaching and I probably can't afford the certifications right now. I could definitely tutor someone on most things CS related, but I don't speak any languages except English.

Countries I'm considering include the Philippines (I approve of killing drug dealers), Myanmar (ditto rampaging Muslims), South Korea, Taiwan, and maybe Cambodia though I don't know much about it.

I'll need to get a part time job to pay fees, but that's somewhat doable within the confines of dealing with homeless shelter BS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2017, 09:15 PM
RE: Becoming an expat?
Two questions.

Do you speak any other languages?
What skills do you have other than technology?

I ask these for fairly obvious reasons. I would also try and find out what the immigration requirements and or restrictions are for any and all of the countries you're interested in. May also help to know someone where you can stay while you look for work. Grin

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2017, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2017 09:30 PM by MysticLord.)
RE: Becoming an expat?
No other languages.

My only other skills are bullshitting, long-range hiking, and a basic proficiency with USMC infantryman weapons and tactics - which will be handy if I want to play Rambo and slaughter drug dealers or rampaging Muslims for Duterte. Though the Filipinos and Burmese don't look like they need my help with that.

I want to find a job before I move. Some TEFL programs do everything for you, that seems like a good place to start.
Find all posts by this user