"chipped" credit/debit cards (warning, profane language inside)
07-28-2017, 09:50 AM
"chipped" credit/debit cards (warning, profane language inside)
Ok, I have to put on my old cranky man hat for a moment. Our credit union just forced our 2 debit cards and 1 credit cards to have chips. I hate chips. They make every transaction 3-5 times longer, they are not as safe as the industry is claiming to make them out to be, and it is another instance of why we DO NOT NEED TECHNOLOGY IN EVERYTHING!! I mean fuck, if I drop in to a convenience store or pop in to a shop for a quick purchase that just became a hassle. Another annoying thing is some merchants are not allowing you to run the debit cards as credit forcing you to put in your PIN number. FUCK THAT! I do not use or input my PIN number in public. I'm left with little legitimate options moving forward.

I know what you're thinking; "use cash or write a check". Here are a couple of reasons why I don't.
  • I don't carry a wallet because one my shorts/pants front pockets aren't accommodating for a size of wallet I'd need to carry.
  • With my bad back I cannot have anything including a wallet in my back pockets.
  • Right now I have a phone case+card slot combination, There isn't one big enough to hold my 5 cards and cash that'll fit in my pockets. I have a psychological thing that I need my keys in one pocket and my phone in the other--I cannot "double up" items in any pockets so a phone+wallet in one pocket won't work. Besides, who likes bulky pockets?

I just don't understand the need to try and stuff every second of every day and every item we come in contact with full of technology. I just don't need a refrigerator with a damn tablet connected to the internet in the door. I don't want my car to turn the steering wheel or applying the brakes without my permission. I don't need computer chips in my damn plastic cards. I wonder if this is how my grandparents felt in the 60's and 70's. LOL

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2017, 11:19 AM
RE: "chipped" credit/debit cards (warning, profane language inside)
FYI you can request an old school magnet strip only and I think they have to give it to you. It's easy to print - you could easily write the information in one to any magnetized strip card, then write the card info on it - and because of that it's just as easy to steal. Fewer risks from newer types of electronic surveillance, but anyone with a high powered magnetic card reader could steal it and anyone with access to it and a portable card reader can too.

I'm not sure if the data is encrypted on them. Knowing America, probably not. You could always buy or build your own scanning rig and figure it out yourself, then make a youtube video and shame them for it.
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2017, 11:29 AM
(07-28-2017 11:19 AM)MysticLord Wrote:  FYI you can request an old school magnet strip only and I think they have to give it to you. It's easy to print - you could easily write the information in one to any magnetized strip card, then write the card info on it - and because of that it's just as easy to steal. Fewer risks from newer types of electronic surveillance, but anyone with a high powered magnetic card reader could steal it and anyone with access to it and a portable card reader can too.

I'm not sure if the data is encrypted on them. Knowing America, probably not. You could always buy or build your own scanning rig and figure it out yourself, then make a youtube video and shame them for it.

My credit union refused to print or provide me a card without a chip in it. I know scanners exist for these chipped cards and no America is not secure and does not have any sort of legitimate quality infrastructure like say Australia has for these chipped cards. It is either a cost issue or not giving a shit issue...or both.

Even taking the security thing out of the equation, the other part about it taking too fucking long per transaction now is another valid point. There is no reason why it should take so long per transaction ...none. The problem with using cash is so many people are reliant on the computer telling them what change to give back and most people using cards now the average person in America working a cash register has a hard time efficiently giving you back your change. I've seen this decline for ages...and it takes almost as long to pay with cash now unless YOU give exact change. LOL Wrote a check fairly recently and the cashier asked her supervisor how to process a check. *sigh*

I swear sometimes Idiocracy will happen.

07-28-2017, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure why your transactions take too long, JC. About 80% of my purchases are chip-based, and it only takes 20 seconds to process the bill.

What's your opinion on using pay apps from your cell phone to process transactions? It's not as widespread as debit/credit cards. But I'm sure that technology will be in every grocery store, restaurant, mall, and shopping stores throughout the country eventually. I haven't used it myself simply because I don't have a smartphone. And I'm not going to get a smartphone any time soon. lol. :-)
07-28-2017, 04:41 PM
(07-28-2017 04:00 PM)ctophil Wrote:  What's your opinion on using pay apps from your cell phone to process transactions? It's not as widespread as debit/credit cards. But I'm sure that technology will be in every grocery store, restaurant, mall, and shopping stores throughout the country eventually. I haven't used it myself simply because I don't have a smartphone. And I'm not going to get a smartphone any time soon. lol. :-)

I only have a smart phone because I like to be able to check my email and post on forums so my iPhone 5s does this and such--but no need to ever upgrade. If this iPhone 5s breaks I'll fix it or buy another 5s new CIB. :)

To answer your question, I'm against pay apps because I don't trust that my information isn't secure. At some point this might just be the new standard though... Plus your phone can be hacked remotely as well so more of a chance of getting victimized. I guess I'm just too paranoid even though it is warranted. At some point this might just be the new standard though...

07-28-2017, 07:12 PM
Yeah anyone who thinks anything on a computer is ever 100% secure (and trusts it as such) is either ignorant or a moron.

Twenty seconds is forever in a cash register. I can make change in less than 10 seconds, but chips take the longest time.