Saiyuki Journey West Hard Mode (Started June 2017)
06-23-2017, 09:15 PM
RE: Saiyuki Journey West Hard Mode (Started June 2017)
Editing the disc image directly. Should have the entirety of Chapter 1 complete by the end of this weekend, which includes 24/24 possible battles. >_@
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Do you need me to explain about sectors on disc images? And if you know what file you're dealing with it would be easier to edit game files and import them. You could even make a half-assed editor using spreadsheets.
Find all posts by this user
07-02-2017, 08:19 PM
As in this recalc program Starwin made? http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1264/ Wouldn't editing extracted files and then reinserting just create extra work? Editing the ISO directly has worked like a charm so far. Apparently Legend of Legaia is a big mess and might have to be abandoned, sadly. Not that I'll be ready to give it a serious try for a while.

Project Update: Chapter 1 Complete!

~ 9 out of 9 Story Battles.
~ 6 out of 6 Dojo Battles.
~ 9 out of 9 Post//Sidequest Battles. (Includes Random Battle).

All 24 possible battles have now been given the Hard Mode treatment, and have all been tested and documented. The last story battle is definitely a worthy challenge and excellent end to the chapter (so to speak). The last two post sidequest battles are an excellent way to get Lady Kikka caught up in levels, and the final Dojo Master battle should get her and Sanzo up to level 20 with ease. No grinding has been required whatsoever; although I did fight the Post random battle a second time to get Kikka her first two levels.

While I haven't discovered how to add *new* treasure to battles, I can edit existing treasure (which is awesome). Probably even better news is that I can add new enemies to a battle, and they do appear properly! During the first chapter I've changed several enemies, but only felt the need to add one extra enemy in the final sidequest battle. The bandits now have a pet Centipede, and if you think that is strange then you've probably never played Vandal Hearts! If those bandits can have pet giant bats, then Saiyuki bandits can have a pet giant centipede, damn it! Bouncy
07-03-2017, 01:49 AM
Vimes used a spreadsheet and a python script to edit SaGa Frontier and a few other games. I think he did it like this:

Dump all the data, then make a spreadsheet where there is some stuff to make it easy for humans to understand, and then there's the data. One cell per byte, or something similar.

On another, hidden sheet within the spreadsheet, concatenate all the bytes together into one or more large strings of bytes.

On the last sheet, organize the game file, the offset at which the data begins, and then the byte string in three adjacent cells. To patch the game and apply their changes, the user must save this sheet as a *.csv (Comma Separate Value - literally just a text file with data in cells separate by commas, and each row is a new line). Then the user must put the *.csv, the python script, and the files to be patched in the same directory and then run the python script.

Once the user is done, he imports the modified files into his disc image and he's done.
07-07-2017, 09:07 AM
(07-03-2017 01:49 AM)MysticLord Wrote:  Vimes used a spreadsheet and a python script to edit SaGa Frontier and a few other games. I think he did it like this:

Dump all the data, then make a spreadsheet where there is some stuff to make it easy for humans to understand, and then there's the data. One cell per byte, or something similar.

On another, hidden sheet within the spreadsheet, concatenate all the bytes together into one or more large strings of bytes.

On the last sheet, organize the game file, the offset at which the data begins, and then the byte string in three adjacent cells. To patch the game and apply their changes, the user must save this sheet as a *.csv (Comma Separate Value - literally just a text file with data in cells separate by commas, and each row is a new line). Then the user must put the *.csv, the python script, and the files to be patched in the same directory and then run the python script.

Once the user is done, he imports the modified files into his disc image and he's done.

That is really interesting how that is done. Seems like a pretty easy way to do it when you think about it.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
07-19-2017, 02:57 AM
Pyspread is probably an excellent tool for this, as it accepts python objects in cells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyspread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Future Hard Mode Ponderings Jarlaxle 3 266 06-21-2017 08:41 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Suikoden Hard Mode (Complete) Jarlaxle 3 287 05-26-2017 11:55 AM
  Lufia & The Fortress of Doom - Hard Mode (COMPLETE) Jarlaxle 59 15,555 05-07-2017 09:05 AM