SnakeOil - SaGa Frontier Data Editor
07-25-2016, 04:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 05:42 AM by MysticLord.)
SnakeOil - SaGa Frontier Data Editor
Download the compiled executable here:
https://bitbucket.org/Mithridates/snakeoil/downloads

---

This application requires at least version 7.0 of the Java Runtime Environment.

Google "java 7 jre" and take the link to Oracle.com. Click the radio button to accept the license agreement and then click the version appropriate for your operating system and architecture.

Windows users, get the Windows version (probably the x64 version unless your computer has less than 4 GB of RAM) - get the EXE version, but be careful what you click when you install it, Oracle has a nasty habit of asking you to install the Ask.com toolbar and other junk.

note to self: include info about setting paths, and bluej.

Apple users: I have no idea what you're supposed to do, but there's a DMG file so I assume that's an Apple installer file.

Linux users: If possible install the OpenJDK because Oracle is lame, but if you want to torture yourself by installing the Oracle version post a reply and share the misery.

---

Snake Oil - Saga Frontier Data Editor

This program currently edits the item data for SaGa Frontier. It works by editing the SCUS_942.30 file. All changes made are permanent, back up your disc image before editing.

The source code is in the repository; everyone who just wants to edit the game should get the JAR file from the downloads section.

---

Usage:

0. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT basePatch.snakeoil IS IN THE SAME FOLDER AS SnakeOil.jar! IT WILL NOT WORK OTHERWISE!

1. Extract SCUS_942.30 from your SaGa Frontier disc image. I like to use CD Mage for this. Google "CD Mage" to find this program.

2. Double-click SnakeOil.jar.

3. Select one of the options from the "File" menu - make a new patch, or read a SCUS file to get started.

4. Click the "Items" button to bring up the (currently half-finished) item editor.

5. Edit the item data to your liking.

6. Return to the "File Menu" and either save your patch or patch SCUS_942.30. DON'T SAVE OVER basePatch.snakeoil! If you do, download it again and grab basePatch.snakeoil again and put it in the same folder as your editor.

7. Either import your newly patched SCUS_942.30 file into your disc image or upload your *.snakeoil patch somewhere.

---

The source code is here:
https://bitbucket.org/Mithridates/snakeoil/src
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2016, 08:42 AM
RE: SnakeOil - SaGa Frontier Data Editor
Grin I cannot wait to see this. Is it a full fledged editor?

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Yes, but it's a work in progress.
07-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Oh ok cool. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Grin

12-31-2016, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2017 01:56 AM by MysticLord.)
God I wish I had a programmable debugger.

EDIT

http://pastebin.com/CxPz7RTR

WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

EDIT

Inexplicable zeros
[Image: wdlxThj.png]
02-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Reading data from a disc image works - well, certain types of data*. Now that I can generate EDC and ECC, I started the code for writing data. There's a lot of overlap in the code, so I got what I could done before I got to the part where it differs. I'm taking a break from that until my good friend Leon sends me an external WiFi antenna.

I use my bitbucket account as both a repository and a revision control system, which means I periodically stop and upload my changes in case I break something or a line of inquiry doesn't pan out. Since I lack a solid internet connection (I use wifi from the motel across the street), I can't use this so development on SnakeOil is on hiatus for however long it takes to ship that WiFi antenna.

It will take at most a few weeks to ship here. In this time I'll find other relatively safe ways to improve the code base and I'll spend my time learning C with The C Programming Language, Second Edition. Have a Happy Valentines Day!

*I can currently patch data tables where the size and location of the data never varies and where the entires in the table are all the same length and number - item data, ability data, mystic absorbs, difficulty tables, and so on. WIth a little finesse this can accommodate data tables where the location of the data varies (monster data) but it will take some work to deal with tables where the size of the data varies (spark tables), where the length of the entries in the table varies (also spark tables), and where the number of entries in the table varies (spark tables again).
02-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Small request. Grin Can you post some screenshots of the editor in the first post?

I'd love to see some full-fledged hacks of SaGa Frontier to play.

02-10-2018, 05:27 PM
(02-10-2018 09:44 AM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Small request. Grin Can you post some screenshots of the editor in the first post?

I'd love to see some full-fledged hacks of SaGa Frontier to play.
I would but there's not much to see. Only the item editor exists, and I/O is incomplete. The item editor works but the GUI looks like crap, I need to do a lot of testing with it to make it look good. Once disc image I/O works I'll fix the item editor GUI and take some screencaps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SaGa Frontier 2 - Zach Keene's data dumping tools MysticLord 0 216 10-25-2017 04:28 AM
Last Post: MysticLord
  SaGa Frontier Game Data and Resources Neptuneknight 12 2,449 05-27-2017 11:58 AM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  SaGa Frontier Battle Script Opcodes Neptuneknight 34 3,452 05-17-2017 01:44 PM
  Monster Data Format Neptuneknight 8 1,381 04-04-2017 09:53 PM
  SaGa Frontier Game Dialogue Dump Neptuneknight 7 904 01-06-2017 01:35 AM
  SaGa Frontier Tools for Internal Use Neptuneknight 7 1,019 01-05-2017 12:14 PM
  NPC Data Format Neptuneknight 5 1,308 12-31-2016 05:35 PM
  Saga Frontier Monster Script Data Viewer GUI Neptuneknight 8 1,080 12-31-2016 05:33 PM
  SaGa Frontier Scenario Scripting System (SSS) Neptuneknight 1 856 07-26-2016 05:33 AM