I hope none of you older than 12 play that incessantly dumb pokemon go
07-17-2016, 04:59 PM
I hope none of you older than 12 play that incessantly dumb pokemon go
What is this world coming to? I mean if you need a game to get you outside and or get addicted and do stupid things to "collect" them on private or restricted property you have a problem. If you stop in the middle of the roadway or cause an unsafe situation to the general public then you also have a problem. I could go on but any sane forward thinking person would see my point. I have a real issue with this stupid app game and how seemingly normal adults or older teenagers are acting like idiots with it. Perhaps this is Darwinism accelerated? Just like taking pictures of yourself (I will not use the slang word people use for this) in dangerous situations--like holding a loaded handgun towards yourself--is another reason why our society is seriously in trouble. Perhaps the smartphone should of never been invented as it has almost single-handedly reduced the intelligence/common sense the of world's society significantly. I believe the smartphone greatly amplifies things like vanity, unscrupulous behavior, lack of compassion/empathy, greed, envy, and also behavioral disorders.

Its stuff like this and politics that really makes me want to get a financial windfall so my wife and I can retire to a sparsely populated secluded rural plot of land away from society/technology in peace. I loathe society and watching it self-destruct so quickly with every generation is growing tiresome. I'm really trying to cut down on my ranting and complaining but this pokemon go thing really grinds my gears.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2016, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 05:40 PM by Lotex.)
RE: I hope none of you older than 12 play that incessantly dumb pokemon go
I don't play the game myself, but I also don't see such a big problem with it like you do. The fact that you could find a Weezing in Ausschwitz was quite tasteless, but other than that why not?
Sure you have to follow some basic rules like NOT playing the game while you drive a car or something similar, but if you have the time and if you like the Pokemon franchise I don't see a problem.
Also I don't think it's the invention of the smartphone that causes the problems you mentioned but the society itself. Everything could be used for something very good or something bad and everything can be a good influence or a bad influence, it's like saying bad metal music, movies or games is what causes people to go on a killing spree or many other things. Stuff like candy or chips are also not the cause of obesity as well as alcohol is not the cause of alcoholism but the people themselves because they go wild and don't take these things in moderation.

On the other hand it can also do some good things, people come together to catch Pokemon, they talk, they play together and maybe some casual acquaintances are forged or even deep(er) friendships. I also read that the game helped people with social anxiety to overcome their hardship and if this is true I think it is amazing.

My conclusion is that everything can improve or worsen things and it mostly depends on the society to make the best of said inventions.
Find all posts by this user
07-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Pokemon what? LOL. I understand how you feel, JC. People, naturally, are very immature (no matter the age), lack wisdom, materialistic, judgmental, ignorant, and so forth. But like I said, it's "natural" for mankind to be like that. Nothing I see happening in society, either thousands of years ago or just yesterday, surprises me at all. Why? Because we are born into this world we called "Earth" as babies. It is the beginning of your experience in God's Universe. You may think you know a lot, but you know nothing at all, not even the beginning of it. Even when you reach the age of 70, it is still not the beginning of what we call Life. You are still a baby.

I don't accept these "natural" acts of mankind, either it be stupid, evil, or full of wisdom. I see these things as each individual's experience in the vastness we call Life. Life is far reaching and safe to say infinite. People don't see the big picture. They only see a tiny speck of their beginning ascent through a Universe so gigantic, it is impossible to see the end of it from here. Once you reach the end of the Universe, then will Life truly begin.
07-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Interesting opinions guys. Thanks for adding your thoughts. :) I'll mull it over and come up with a reply.

07-22-2016, 12:12 PM
I read this as, "I'm Old, Get Off My Lawn: The Post."

A lot of us are playing it at work. It's good times, it gets people outside that normally would not go outside. It breaks social bearers and is allowing people who would normally be too shy or anxious to go out and hang with people interested in similar things. Also, it's not like someone specifically put a weezing in Ausschwitz. Pokemon spawns are based on the company's previous geocaching game, Ingress. Where there are points of cell usage, random pokemon will appear.

However. If you play in the car, I put you in the same came as anyone else who texts and drives. The Fucking Stupid Ass Moron™ Category.

This past week, my smartphone allowed me to capture some amazing pictures while I was out on the boat in Boston Harbor with co-workers. It works as a great flash light. I'm going to the movies? On my way to my car, order tickets. When I arrive, flash the code on my phone and skip the line. (then turn it off because using your phone at all in the movies puts you in the aforementioned category.) Playing a boardgame and can't remember a rule? Whip out my phone.

The smartphone is a tool. And like every tool, it's can be used by people for great stuff, or by tools for stupid shit. My grandparents said a lot of the same stuff you are saying about smart phones about video games and computers when I was growing up.

Also, if you're sick of reading about Pokemon Go for the past couple weeks, let me tell you what hearing about sports is like for the past three decades.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-22-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm ok with responsible usage of that game, and yes I will concede that the majority of users are probably responsible. However, I am seeing people in our neighborhood having people on their lawns with their phones so I can only assume they are in the game and trespassing. We've also had people in our neighborhood stop their cars in the streets get out with their phone to "collect" these things then get back in their car and drive away. This is not responsible usage. But I'll digress here since my point is made. :)

As for the smartphone, yes, it is a tool just like a gun is a tool. And yes a useful tool. I get that, I really do. My main problem is the erosion of actual social development / participation and even the forgotten work productivity category. Too many people are tethered to their phones--and this is like 90% of people--being completely oblivious to their surroundings, situations, and actual physical people in the world. lol Since everyone is tethered to their phone and just cannot live life without it it starts to become a societal problem. I observe evreythign so when I see at too many family gatherings, walks, on the road driving, restaurants, sporting events, movies, and etc too many people are looking down at their phones find it horrifying. When I'm out in public and the majority of people have their phone up to their face it is unsettling. So yes, I sound old and my opinions sometimes sound like "get off my lawn", but I am entitled to it and I feel like my points are valid points. Grin Where is the line drawn between responsible use one way or another? Is being tethered considered responsible? Ponder that for a moment. :cool:

*edit*
Oh and I am sick of hearing about pokemon go, but I am also not a fan of listening to sports 24/7 either. Too much of something, regardless of what it is should be considered a problem yes?

07-22-2016, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah, I have noticed that no matter where I am, people have these giant cell phones and tablets with their noses stuck on the screen. When I'm at the doctors for my parents, I see EVERY single person in the waiting room playing on their phone/tablet. I'm the ONLY one in the room not playing with something. It happened every single time. The same applies to other places, such as restaurants, coffee shops, book stores, grocery stores, etc. Even when waiting for my car dealership to maintain my car, there are people every where with glowing screens.

Are we drones or actual human beings? Are we addicted to technology? My cell phone is like 5 years old that only makes phone calls. My tablet was only $33.33. It's very cheap, and I only use it at home. I use it maybe 3-4 times a week. I use it as a tool and nothing else. As a philosophy, you can use anything as a tool; but when it becomes an obsession, you better be careful. And frankly, most people have no self control and will usually end up getting very easily addicted to everything.
07-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Looks like on the subject of phones we share similar opinions.