NES Classic Edition
07-14-2016, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2016 06:20 PM by ctophil.)
NES Classic Edition
Hey guys,

In a surprising move, Nintendo has just announced they are re-releasing a smaller NES console that looks just like the original system. With all these years of people releasing NES clones, it's interesting that Nintendo is finally releasing a clone of their own. I'll probably won't be getting it, since the system only comes with the initial 30 games; but there are no plans to add more games to it. The console can't be connected to the Internet nor does it have any kind of external storage, such as SD Cards and/or USB. Additionally, you can't play original cartridges. The Retron 5 is a far superior retro console in my opinion.

The price will be $59.99 and will come out this fall.

Read the article here: http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/14/1218728...ic-console
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2016, 09:00 PM
RE: NES Classic Edition
My buddy told me about this today. I imagine it'll do well with the regular folks with no technical or emulation knowledge. And that's fine, unless this console lacks audio and video quality.

Maybe someone will crack it and make it play roms. LOL

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2016, 05:53 PM
(07-14-2016 09:00 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  My buddy told me about this today. I imagine it'll do well with the regular folks with no technical or emulation knowledge. And that's fine, unless this console lacks audio and video quality.

Maybe someone will crack it and make it play roms. LOL

Being a technical person, it's pretty hard for me to grasp anybody will play a console that is not even remotely upgrade-able, meaning you can't play additional games nor is there an expansion to add more games. Even kids will get tired of the 30 games that came with it. As a 12-year old back in the day, I even started to sketch out a future console called the "Super Option 2," which was a system that allowed developers to plug in additional hardware that can boost graphics & sound, as well as more powerful processors. It was called "Super Option" because it allowed 'optional' devices to be plugged in by hardware & software developers. This was before the Sega CD and Turbografx-16 CD Add-ons. I was shocked that eventually there were hardware add-ons to consoles.

Even if you were able to crack this new mini NES, how are you going to upload ROMs into the console? I guess you can open up the system and create your own bootleg device to load ROMs into the motherboard's flash memory. :P
07-16-2016, 07:24 PM
I don't doubt that it will be absolutely possible if and that's the big factor ... someone with enough know how is willing to do the theory and someone (maybe the same person) is also willing to to the hardware stuff.
With the technological progress nowadays I don't think that anything is impossible, it only needs the brain, the will, the dexterity and maybe the money. It may be a difficult workaround, but if these factors come together it will be possible.
07-18-2016, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2016 02:44 AM by xlom3000.)
If I had to guess, seeing as this device uses wii classic controller ports, it's probably built on some sort of wii framework. It's not too farfetched to see an discless, bluetoothless, driverless wii, with 30 built in virtual console games being sold at 60 bucks.
07-18-2016, 08:57 AM
That's an interesting thought! If that were the case then maybe it is possible for someone to crack it. Grin

07-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Nintendo released an official trailer for the NES Classic Edition. They even brought back the original slogan, "Now you're playing with power!" :cool:

Check it out below.

07-22-2016, 11:40 AM
I loved that old marketing slogan. Grin

Oh, and I'm slowly thinking this is more badass than a gimmick. I mean they put Final Fantasy, Excitebike, Galaga, Gradius, Super C, Punch Out, Super Mario Bros 3, and Legend of Zelda among others. Using HDMI which means crisp images and clear stereo sound. Perhaps this is an xmas present waiting to happen.

Full list below:
  1. Balloon Fight
  2. Bubble Bobble
  3. Castlevania
  4. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Donkey Kong Jr.
  7. Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  8. Dr. Mario
  9. Excitebike
  10. Final Fantasy
  11. Galaga
  12. Ghosts'N Goblins
  13. Gradius
  14. Ice Climber
  15. Kid Icarus
  16. Kirby's Adventure
  17. Mario Bros.
  18. Mega Man 2
  19. Metroid
  20. Ninja Gaiden
  21. Pac-Man
  22. Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  23. StarTropics
  24. Super C
  25. Super Mario Bros.
  26. Super Mario Bros. 2
  27. Super Mario Bros. 3
  28. Tecmo Bowl
  29. The Legend of Zelda
  30. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

07-22-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm going to also mention that NEC should do this for the TG16 because I believe it would sell like hot cakes. I would literally pay double this for a classic TG16 system with 30 games (assuming Bonk is on it) & HDMI.

07-22-2016, 12:30 PM
It only means crisp images if nintendo has figured out how to turn off bilinear filtering on their VC games. Here's what your typical NES games look like running on the Wii U which outputs over HDMI at 1080p.

They are small images, but they look very blurry on tv. and they are darkened... I'm assuming to protect from burn in?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-22-2016, 12:40 PM
(07-22-2016 12:30 PM)xlom3000 Wrote:  It only means crisp images if nintendo has figured out how to turn off bilinear filtering on their VC games. Here's what your typical NES games look like running on the Wii U which outputs over HDMI at 1080p.

They are small images, but they look very blurry on tv. and they are darkened... I'm assuming to protect from burn in?

Hmmm, I never noticed that when I played it but I did use a composite cable. I will be getting a component cable for my Wii and hooking it back up to my TV so I'll check out what games I did buy on VC to see if I get the same issue.

07-22-2016, 01:08 PM
It's not an issue with the original Wii. The original wii looks great because it only outputs at a max of 480p and your tv handles the upscale. Wii U outputs to 1080p and nintendo added in their own filtering instead of multiplying by nearest neighbor.
07-22-2016, 01:55 PM
(07-22-2016 01:08 PM)xlom3000 Wrote:  It's not an issue with the original Wii. The original wii looks great because it only outputs at a max of 480p and your tv handles the upscale. Wii U outputs to 1080p and nintendo added in their own filtering instead of multiplying by nearest neighbor.

Now that sucks and explains a lot. Grin

Offtopic, but do you know if this Wii U controller will work with the original Wii? I got to use it at my buddy's house and actually really like the layout and feel of it.

[Image: 17oof0ulitzcdjpg.jpg]

07-22-2016, 05:38 PM
(07-22-2016 01:55 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  
(07-22-2016 01:08 PM)xlom3000 Wrote:  It's not an issue with the original Wii. The original wii looks great because it only outputs at a max of 480p and your tv handles the upscale. Wii U outputs to 1080p and nintendo added in their own filtering instead of multiplying by nearest neighbor.

Now that sucks and explains a lot. Grin

Offtopic, but do you know if this Wii U controller will work with the original Wii? I got to use it at my buddy's house and actually really like the layout and feel of it.

No, none of the Wii U controllers work with the original Wii, not even when you put the Wii U into Wii mode. You can, however, use the Classic Wii Controller Pro, which is essentially the same thing with the analog sticks in a different location pictured below.

[Image: wii-classic-controller-pro-xl.jpg]
07-22-2016, 07:12 PM
Oh that's too bad. Sad The Wii U one has the analog sticks in the right place. Feels natural similar to how the XBOX controller feels to me.

07-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Nintendo is also releasing a companion book titled, "Playing with Power," to complement the release of the NES Classic Edition in November. The price is $26.99. It comes with a slip cover that resembles a NES cartridge as pictured below.

Check out the article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/27/n...with-power

You can pre-order the book here: https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Power-Nin...with+power

[Image: playing-with-power-slip-case-looks-like-..._large.jpg]
07-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Wow, that's pretty damn awesome.

08-07-2016, 01:43 AM
New info on the display modes of the nes classic. I hope they put some of these features on the VC soon.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-o...-and-more/
08-07-2016, 12:48 PM
(08-07-2016 01:43 AM)xlom3000 Wrote:  New info on the display modes of the nes classic. I hope they put some of these features on the VC soon.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-o...-and-more/

That's pretty cool. I'm stoked to give it a try.

08-08-2016, 01:52 PM
It's not the classic, but I think it's better anyway. http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php...ucts_id=78

retrousb's AVS goes on sale today and ships mid-sept

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Supa RetroN HD -- An alternative to the SNES Classic JCE3000GT 2 80 09-01-2017 09:25 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  SNES Classic Edition ctophil 24 1,197 08-24-2017 10:09 PM
  [XBOX One/PS4/Switch/PC] Skyrim: Special Edition JCE3000GT 15 2,302 04-29-2017 02:48 PM
  Custom Classic Consoles ctophil 2 1,000 01-05-2015 07:45 PM
  Classic Run & Gun Video Game Survey jonnelyonne 2 2,318 04-28-2013 02:06 AM
Last Post: jonnelyonne