I start to dislike key shops ...
01-17-2016, 12:05 AM
I start to dislike key shops ...
I wanted to buy some games this evening, so I visited my regular site for keys since they had a little sale going on, everything was fine until I wanted to pay - I couldn't do it for whatever reason, the site (or maybe paypal) always told me that I should try it again later.
No problem, I can always try another one so I visited another site and everything went evenly well, I could pay for my stuff, waited for the mail with my keys and not even 5 minutes later I got it ... telling me that they want me to proof that I'm the legitimate owner of the paypal account I used to pay my keys with. Keep in mind that they didn't say anything about such a procedure before I paid.
Alright, it's a little annoying but what can you do, I'm not willing to provide my ID card or something like that so I told them that I want a refund and not even an hour later I had my money back and I knew that I'll never buy anything from them again until they change that. To be precise they also wanted a picture of a form they had sent me with the mail and they wanted a picture of me with my ID in hand.

I tried yet another shop with a fairly good reputation, ordered my keys and everything went evenly well until ... you can probably guess it ... they also wanted me to provide my ID card, a credit card statement or some other official document and now I already paid them, they didn't give me my keys and they seem reluctant to even refund me but persuade me that I give them what they want ... so frustrating, I wouldn't even bother buying something if they stated what they wanted beforehand *sighs*

Maybe I'm paranoid since they told me that "they're just a games shop and they won't use my personal data in any other way than confirming my identity", but I just don't want to provide this kind of information to some random people. It sounds kind of fishy to me and I'm not even sure if it's legal to require such documents.
It's like google or some other big fish telling me that they will not sell my email to some spam/advertising bullshit where I googled something about glasses and got some advertisement about the same topic in my mail not even a day later.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2016, 10:24 AM
RE: I start to dislike key shops ...
Wow, that's pretty ridiculous. I would never give anyone business or not a picture of my ID card that has all my personal information on it. Not with today's rampant fraud problem. Hell. No. Is there any shops you can travel to in person to get the game(s) you wanted?

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Sure, I could just buy them via steam if I wanted them so badly, but the thing is that I'd have to pay 60€ instead of 35€ for Phantom Pain.
They sent me my keys some minutes ago saying that they made an exception for me, although I don't know if it was an exception for me or a one time exception for this transaction, but I don't think I'll take any chances anyway, so it doesn't really matter. The keys worked and now I'll wait for my Rise of the Tomb Raider key that I'll get on january 28th.
Although I'm happy that they made this exception I find it funny that they rather bend the rules then lose a deal (~150€/$160-165).
01-17-2016, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2016 04:25 PM by ctophil.)
Hey Lotex, have you used http://www.gamesdeal.com before? Their prices are always cheaper than Steam, and they NEVER ask for your ID or whatever.

Here is a quote from their FAQ page about that:

Quote:2. Will my order be verified and if yes, how?

We are confronted with attempted misuse on a daily basis. Therefore we have developed a few reliable methods to protect us, but especially you, our honest customers, from any attempts of that sort. As we respect your personal data and privacy greatly, we will never ask you for a copy of your ID or any other official documents. We will however ask you to provide your telephone number, so that we have the chance to call you and check your order for you. This will not take long and will get you your software fast and secure.

They do ask for your phone number in the checkout process, but they never called me anyways.

I've bought stuff off the site before, and it's very easy & convenient. Once you log into Paypal, you just pay for it and get your Steam key within a few minutes. They do charge you a 4% processing fee for Paypal and credit cards. But frankly, it's worth it how easy the buying process happens to be. In fact, they have Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain for 30 Euros right now. You can check it out here: http://www.gamesdeal.com/catalogsearch/r...antom+pain

They also have Rise of the Tomb Raider for 24.91 Euros (pre-order). http://www.gamesdeal.com/rise-of-the-tom...er-pc.html
01-17-2016, 04:50 PM
If I were in to digital games that'd be a great site. Is that for all regions?

01-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Well it's too late now anyway since I already received and redeemed my keys, but I'll keep this site in mind. Thanks Phil.

I was looking for another good and reliable site and the next time I buy something (probably Hitman, Dishonored 2 or Deus Ex:Mankind divided) I'll give this site a try.
01-17-2016, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2016 05:28 PM by ctophil.)
(01-17-2016 04:50 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  If I were in to digital games that'd be a great site. Is that for all regions?

Steam keys are region free between Western Europe and the U.S. However, games released in Russia, Taiwan, other regions of Southeast Asia (such as Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia) and South America (except for Brazil) only work in their respective countries.

http://www.gamesdeal.com is from Europe (The UK), so yes all games sold on their site will work in the U.S. Their Xbox Live Gold cards are also region free. I've bought a couple from them before, and the prices are the cheapest I've ever seen. You might want to look into that, JC, for your Xbox Live Gold subscriptions.
01-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Thanks Phil.

And , sure thing. I Just renewed my XBL Gold acct in December so it'll be awhile!

01-19-2016, 07:00 AM
(01-17-2016 05:23 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Steam keys are region free between Western Europe and the U.S. However, games released in Russia, Taiwan, other regions of Southeast Asia (such as Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia) and South America (except for Brazil) only work in their respective countries.

Sadly that's true, when I see the price difference between our games and games from russia or the far eastern parts of europe in general ... I think for Phantom Pain it was a difference from 35-40€ vs 12€ o_O
One was the "official" keysite price while the other one was a private thing, but still.
04-05-2016, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 11:34 AM by Lotex.)
I decided to try out your site Phil, let's see if it works better than the ones I normally use. The price seems to be okay, I just pre-ordered Mankind Divided for 36€ and AC: Syndicate for ~18,50€.

Edit: How long does it normally take to get your key? It's been a few hours now and I didn't get an e-mail and the confirmation mail says I should check my account, but I created the account after I finished the order.
04-05-2016, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 02:52 PM by ctophil.)
(04-05-2016 07:42 AM)Lotex Wrote:  I decided to try out your site Phil, let's see if it works better than the ones I normally use. The price seems to be okay, I just pre-ordered Mankind Divided for 36€ and AC: Syndicate for ~18,50€.

Edit: How long does it normally take to get your key? It's been a few hours now and I didn't get an e-mail and the confirmation mail says I should check my account, but I created the account after I finished the order.

Here are the messages I usually get when I first place an order:

Quote:If you do not receive your item(s) in 15 minutes, please check if there is any verification email in your inbox first or contact our customer service service@gamesdeal.com at any time.

I usually get my order within 5 - 10 minutes, but a lot of times it's almost instantaneous. Do they supposed to send you the key when you pre-order stuff; or do they wait until the game comes out? I haven't pre-ordered PC games before.

Quote:Orders placed between 11:00pm and 2:00am (GMT) will be delivered after 3:30am (GMT).

My orders are always before 11:00 pm GMT time, so I haven't experienced any delays.
04-05-2016, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 05:20 AM by Lotex.)
I ordered at 2:36pm, so I guess I'll have to write an e-mail tomorrow if I don't receive anything until this point
I'm supposed to get the pre-order key when the game is officially released, but I also ordered AC: Syndicate and this game has been out for some time now, that's why I'm asking ;)

Edit: I received my AC Key yesterday, it took a little bit longer than my regular site, but at least there were no fishy questions like "we need to verify your adress", "send us a credit card statement of yours" or something like this.
I also pre-ordered Dishonored 2 for a very good price, but it seems like they tried to contact me not more than 5 minutes later to verify if I actually placed this order and not someone else using my account, probably because of an IP change or something like that.
Didn't you say the company or the seeler was located in the UK? The call was from oyster bay in the US Grin
04-08-2016, 05:54 PM
(04-05-2016 06:24 PM)Lotex Wrote:  I ordered at 2:36pm, so I guess I'll have to write an e-mail tomorrow if I don't receive anything until this point
I'm supposed to get the pre-order key when the game is officially released, but I also ordered AC: Syndicate and this game has been out for some time now, that's why I'm asking ;)

Edit: I received my AC Key yesterday, it took a little bit longer than my regular site, but at least there were no fishy questions like "we need to verify your adress", "send us a credit card statement of yours" or something like this.
I also pre-ordered Dishonored 2 for a very good price, but it seems like they tried to contact me not more than 5 minutes later to verify if I actually placed this order and not someone else using my account, probably because of an IP change or something like that.
Didn't you say the company or the seeler was located in the UK? The call was from oyster bay in the US Grin

Their call center could be in the U.S. Either that or the company is so small that they use a VOIP like Magic Jack, which only has U.S. phone numbers as far as I know. :-)

But glad it's working out for you. I hope next time they will send your keys quicker. Like I said, I get my keys really fast.
04-08-2016, 06:12 PM
I don't mind a little wait if the keys work and the prices are acceptable if I can avoid stupid things like "We need to verify your every data" or "Send us things like a credit card statement" (which I don't even have since I don't have a credit card) and other nonsense. I mean it's understandable that they want to protect themselves and their sellers, but in my opinion that goes too far since the buyers also have to trust the site or the sellers that the keys work.

If I still need a key within 10-15 minutes I could still use g2a, but for now I guess I'll stick with gamesdeal since there's no real price difference. I only wonder how they manage to sell games like Dishonored or Mankind divided for almost half the price.