RETRO VGS Console
09-06-2015, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 02:30 PM by ctophil.)
RETRO VGS Console
Here I go again with the retro consoles. Hehe. Anyways, in the works is a pretty cool idea. The guy who is in charge of RETRO Magazine has a new team that is working on a new cartridge-based console that allow homebrew folks and pro developers alike to make NEW games for a retro-style console called RETRO VGS (Video Game System). Let's say you want to make a SNES game and release it on the RETRO VGS, you can put it on a cart and the system will switch to SNES mode. Or you want to make a Neo Geo game, the system will switch to Neo Geo mode when the cart is plugged in. It's a universal system for anybody who want to make cart-based games. But what's cool is that it can output to HDMI video and audio. So new TVs can display your games in high-def. Yeah, it looks like an Atari Jaguar because they saved a ton of money by buying up the rights to the designs of the Jaguar.

The developer reminds us that the system will not play classic games, only newly developed games (unless somebody does a remastered version of a classic). It's getting ready to hit crowd-funding via Kickstarter on September 14 (next Monday). Unlike the Ouya, I think this one will be a winner. I will be investing in this console for sure. They already have some games that will be launch titles, as well as the game that will be a pack-in with the console called Adventures of the Tiny Knight. Another nifty thing is that it has USB support for controllers, which means you can use your favorite controller or its own, as well as some classic controllers.

The specs on the thing are quite powerful for a console that runs cart-based stuff. So, the additional graphics and sound will make games on it look and sound sweet even for Genesis or SNES games! Can't wait to see what RPGs will hit the console. Already, a port of Pier Solar will hit the system as well. Man, what if Square Enix signs up to make a game for this console and does remastered versions of Secret of Mana or any of the SNES-era RPGs like Final Fantasy IV, V, or VI? Dragon Quest games too? A true HD Remaster of FF Mystic Quest anyone?

Meanwhile, check their site for system info and specs: http://www.retrovgs.com/home.html
Check out the current games: http://www.retrovgs.com/games.html

Check out the video for the game called Adventures of the Tiny Knight plus more info on the project:

Documentary on the purchase of the Atari Jaguar design for the RETRO VGS:

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2015, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 03:57 PM by ctophil.)
RE: RETRO VGS Console
Just my response to the RETRO VGS thread on the Retromags Forum:

Quote:I think the RETRO VGS is a great idea. I've bought reproduction carts of classic games for the past 3 years, as well as homebrew games. I love buying old NES, SNES, or Sega Genesis games that never got an English translation and then finding new life in a repro cart complete with box, manual, and poster fully in English. I believe the RETRO VGS will be more than just a system for indie titles. It could be a home for old classics receiving HD Remasters, a breath of fresh air for budding game developers to achieve their dream of developing for a classic system like the SNES, Genesis, or even the Neo Geo, and you can even develop new games that take advantage of the full capabilities of the RETRO VGS.

Just imagine Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom jumping on board to revive their classic Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy titles, Castlevania, or even Mega Man? If they find the HD Remasters working out, maybe they will even develop original content.

Frankly, I'm tired of the "digital revolution," where everything is downloadable to your hard drive. Sure, it's convenient. But I WANT a physical instruction manual, collectible maps & posters, and decent artwork on my game box. Mike Kennedy knows his RETRO business because he is developing a console that is striving to stay away from the digital world (no internet connection for updates and such). 20 years from now, I want the RETRO VGS to still function without needing some patch from the Internet, unlike the Xbox One where it tries to connect to the Internet for every little thing. I can't even play Killer Instinct on Xbox One without it saying, "The Console needs to go online for a game update." You can't even save the game without the update?!?

I haven't heard anything about the system's price yet until the Kickstarter next week. I wouldn't judge its price just yet until the official announcement. Please support the RETRO VGS if you can. I think it will make a statement to the mainstream console manufacturers.
09-07-2015, 03:36 PM
This sounds awesome, I going to research this further. I'm glad retro gaming is so hot right now.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2015, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 03:59 PM by ctophil.)
Update: The RETRO VGS will also allow you to play classic games too like the Retron 5. This is what they said about the price, "At this time we had discussed pricing in the $150-$180 range."

Post from Facebook about playing classic games:

Quote: ** JUST REVEALED ** RETRO VGS WILL PLAY THOUSANDS OF GAMES RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

Are we leaving the FPGA inside RVGS? The answer is YES. Removing this part of our hardware will significantly reduce the value and capability of this machine. We are excited to reveal that we will have a variety of inexpensive classic gaming cartridge adapters that will allow you to play your original games (and using your original classic gaming controllers) from your collections in RVGS using only the highest quality, read that lots of GOLD, cartridge connectors. You won't have to worry about sticking in your prized copy of Air Raid or Little Samson into the RVGS cartridge slot.

And, RVGS will be a great system to play all the new and upcoming homebrew titles for Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision and NES (possible 16-bit consoles in the future, however, no reliable cores for these have been made yet) giving you all lots of new games to play on RVGS from day one! This is all a by-product of having an FPGA enabled system. Imagine plugging in a USB keyboard and programming and saving your programs like this was an Amiga computer? This will all be possible with RVGS and its FPGA component. Not to mention this FPGA will be used by game developers to do things never seen before in a video game. As they become more and more familiar with what we are providing them, you will see games here that you won't see anywhere else.

Ultimately, we are going to make a very high quality product, in the USA and one that will deliver loads of value straight from the box. We look forward to revealing more information when the Kickstarter campaign lights up in a couple weeks. Thanks again for all your support and constructive criticism. We are taking it all in and learning a lot from it. GET READY FOR THE RETRO REVOLUTION!

- RETRO VGS TEAM
09-07-2015, 04:32 PM
This is badass! I love that they bought the molds/tooling for the Atari Jaguar for the system case.

I wonder what all systems will have the cartridge converters for?

09-07-2015, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 05:50 PM by ctophil.)
Quote:I wonder what all systems will have the cartridge converters for?

Not sure, but I'm sure all will be unveiled next Monday during the Kickstarter launch.

RETRO VGS Sizzle Reel # 1:

Interview with Mike Kennedy, owner of RETRO Magazine (I do subscribe to this) and of course RETRO VGS. I liked the interview...learned a lot about the product. I think Mike's passion, his magazine (similar to Nintendo Power talking about Nintendo's systems), and connections with the game industry will move people to invest into this product in a big way.:

09-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Pretty cool stuff!

09-14-2015, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 04:30 PM by ctophil.)
Below is my reply from the PCEnginefx.com forum thread concerning the RETRO VGS. What I've noticed is that people are very negative with the console in that forum. At the Retromags forum people are not as judgmental and are happy that a new retro console is coming out. As I discussed below, I am optimistic with every console release, no matter what it is. How are you going to know if it will fail or how bad it will be if the system hasn't even gotten released yet? Just because one console failed, does it mean that other indie consoles should fail too?

Quote:Quote from: lukester on September 07, 2015, 06:19:12 PM

Quote from: ctophil on September 07, 2015, 12:55:44 PM

Please support the RETRO VGS if you can. I think it will make a statement to the mainstream console manufacturers.

You're hilarious. Have you heard of the Ouya?

It tried to make a statement exactly like the one you said. And it failed miserably.

How many units did the damn thing sell anyway? About 50,000? The Ouya company was so embarrassed, they couldn't even reveal their sales numbers.

This thing is targeting an even smaller audience, with far less power and 3-4 times the price.

I mean, at least Ouya got a mobile port of Sonic CD. This thing could barely get Shovel Knight.

My Reply:

Quote:I am optimistic with every console release, either it be indie or mainstream. The RETRO VGS has an entirely different design model than the Ouya (mobile-style games vs retro games) and has different people behind the project. Mike Kennedy launched RETRO Magazine successfully and is still going strong the past couple of years. I've followed him and his team for quite some time. They are passionate gamers who just want a console that caters toward the RETRO community (cart based, classic gaming, so forth), as well as those who desire physical media vs digital as the current mainstream consoles are going.

Mike's ideas behind the project are admirable, and if I launched a retro console, I would probably do similar things. RETRO Magazine is a good medium to advertise the upcoming console (similar how Nintendo Power covered its own consoles back in the day, this is Mike's idea too), since the majority of the readership love RETRO games. The circulation is estimated to be 40,000 or so throughout the world. If 30,000 of those people help fund the RETRO VGS, it will surely take off.

The console is not coming out until next year sometime. So, it is way too soon to put judgement on something that hasn't even reached funding yet. Let the public vote with their money, love, and passion. This week is when the Kickstarter will launch.
09-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Wow that guy is a d-bag. The approach they are taking with this console seems to be a solid one. You know I've become disenfranchised with gaming forums because there are too many closed-minded and or dumb young people that poison the waters. I think it's mostly because the internet has slowly ruined the ability for social interaction by allowing anonymity. LOL it should be a law that you have to give your full name and location (city/state/country) when posting any sort of comment online. Grin

09-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Well that cuts both ways, on the one hand it may decrease the social degeneration, but on the other hand it's a massive step toward total control and such stuff, like cameras at every corner, eavesdropping on phone calls, chats and other things. I don't think that would be a good approach for that matter. I guess the root of "evil" are schools and parents, there should be more school staff that have an eye on these thinks and the parents have to take responsibility again as well, it's not like the school and the internet alone raise their children, they have to teach them manners and the right way of appraching problematic situations of every kind.

Some people are just idiots though, you could do whatever you want and it wouldn't help but I think with the right leader/mentor you could change so many things and people to be more positive.

As for the console I think it may be more successful than ouya, if you do the right things like development, marketing and such stuff. To sell the product you have to take the right approach and the most important thing is: you have to inform people that something like that is available, if you rely of word-of-mouth marketing advertising alone it may not reach enough people and is bound to fail. I think you should also integrate media like youtube since everybody who could be interested knows youtube, especially if you could get a famous person like let's say Pewdiepie or Markiplier. The latter has around 10 million subscribers and Pewdiepie has around 40 million, that's a lot of advertising with just one video.
09-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Great post Lotex. :)

09-16-2015, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2015 09:21 AM by ctophil.)
Some updated information from Facebook:

Quote:RETRO VGS added 2 new photos.
September 14 at 8:39pm ·

Will YOU be one of the first 500 backers to score an Early Bird Black Retro VGS for $299? Or go for one of the exclusive colors for $349? Decisions that will need to be made in the coming days! The countdown has officially begun.

So, the official price is $299 for the first 500 backers on Kickstarter and $349 for everybody else. Of course, the $299 is for the Black system, while the $349 folks will get to choose from many colors, including the purple one shown in this post. After the console launches, only the Black system will be available. A bit pricey, isn't it? It costs almost as much as a modern console. Xbox One and PS4 are at $350 ($400 for the 1 TB version) and $400, respectively. It's the same price as the Wii U at $299.

The price is higher than first thought, but I'll still contribute to this console. I'll just hold off buying an Xbox One and PS4 for another year. :-) I already have a Wii U so I'm cool with that.

Update: I added an image below of the redesigned back panel.

09-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Wow that puts it out of my prize range. Sad

09-19-2015, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2015 09:01 PM by ctophil.)
Hey guys,

RETRO VGS has launched their crowd funding campaign. They have switched over to Indiegogo instead. Read all about it here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/story

I have contributed with the Elite Backer Edition, which is the highest tier. I do a lot of investing on various projects over the years like indie movies (example: AVGN Movie ) and magazines (Nintendo Force Magazine & RETRO Mag). Investing in a console that pretty much describes my personality is on top of my list of priorities. :-) If this funding goes through, I'll update you guys on its progress and my personal review of the system when it ships.
09-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Sounds good. :)

09-29-2015, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 03:29 PM by ctophil.)
The current Indiegogo crowd funding for RETRO VGS has been cancelled due to lack of funding (slow progress). They are not giving up but have regrouped to make a working prototype, as well as a nice demo to show off on their next crowd funding adventure on Kickstarter next time around. Below is their update to all investors and potential RETRO VGS fans. FYI, the Indigogo campaign only reached a little over $63,000 in the past week, which is only 3% of the $1.9 Million total.

I'm not upset by this but rather relieved that they are not giving up. I only wish them the best on their next venture, and thus I will return to invest again.

Quote:Hey Everyone! It’s clear, in its current state the RETRO VGS Indiegogo campaign is dead in the water and thusly will be shut down early. Once the Indiegogo team explains to us how we can do this, the plug will be pulled and all of you who have contributed will receive a refund post haste. Or you can go in and request a refund from Indiegogo right now.
The good news is we aren’t giving up and have made some adjustments to our hardware team, which includes the involvement of other hardware gurus who were part of our venture in the very beginning. We will also be lowering the price while maintaining most of the cool features you all want.
We will be back in the near future with a prototype RETRO VGS system, front-and-center playing our games on our cartridges and with our USB controller. Sit tight, be patient and RETRO VGS will return.
Thanks again for your support, patience and understanding while we regroup and prepare for the relaunch of a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter.
09-29-2015, 04:36 PM
That's too bad. Sad Do you get your money back?

09-29-2015, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 05:45 PM by ctophil.)
(09-29-2015 04:36 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  That's too bad. Sad Do you get your money back?

Yeah, everybody gets their money back. Hopefully by the end of the year, Mike and his team will relaunch this time on Kickstarter. Most people are more familiar with Kickstarter, and therefore will more likely to invest. I think the big issue this time was a lack of a working prototype system. People just need to see it running before throwing money at it. Mike said he needed the money to make a decent prototype that looks and runs like a consumer product. But at this point, it looks like the RETRO VGS team has to use money from their own pockets to at least get the prototype done. I'm still very excited about the concept and ideas these guys have. So stay tuned for updates on this console. :-)
09-29-2015, 05:49 PM
I'd say this is self-explaining that you have to use your own money to build something for demonstration purpose so the people would fund your idea.
Don't mean to be too harsh, but it's a stupid idea to go for crowdfunding if you don't have anything to show if it's such a niche product.
Did they collect the money beforehand? I always thought it goes like "Tell us what you're willing to give and we'll take it when we reach the goal".
09-29-2015, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 06:10 PM by ctophil.)
(09-29-2015 05:49 PM)Lotex Wrote:  I'd say this is self-explaining that you have to use your own money to build something for demonstration purpose so the people would fund your idea.
Don't mean to be too harsh, but it's a stupid idea to go for crowdfunding if you don't have anything to show if it's such a niche product.
Did they collect the money beforehand? I always thought it goes like "Tell us what you're willing to give and we'll take it when we reach the goal".

Most people are saying it is a "stupid idea' to launch crowd funding without any tangible proof of the product (demo running from a prototype instead of a PC that's close to its specs). You can't imagine the kind of negativity around the Internet for the past few weeks. I usually say if you don't like what they are doing just ignore it. You don't have to invest nor even read about it.

I do personally agree that a prototype will help fund at least half of what they are looking for. Presentation is the key. It's like people who are running for President can be awful at running the country. But if they can be entertaining, present themselves well, and great speech deliverers, then they will become President.

The way crowd funding works is that if the project does not reach the funding goal (in this case, $1.9 Million), then the project does not get a penny of the money. Everybody who invested gets a full refund. The project can also end it early so that it doesn't drag on for the full 45 days. People also can get their refunds if it was ended early. During the campaign, you can change your mind and get a full refund at anytime.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Alternative Retro Video Solutions ctophil 37 6,236 09-29-2017 01:12 PM
Last Post: xlom3000
  The Ataribox Console ctophil 1 233 07-17-2017 06:10 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  The Polymega Console ctophil 1 235 06-25-2017 10:35 PM
  Official 3DO console + games thread JCE3000GT 17 1,698 05-17-2017 12:29 PM
  The Retron 1 HD Console ctophil 1 270 05-16-2017 08:44 PM
  Retro CRTs xlom3000 22 1,472 05-01-2017 08:25 PM
  The Retro Freak, CE version for the Eur. and USA market are ready! firstsinganndy 0 260 12-28-2016 08:29 PM
Last Post: firstsinganndy
  Nintendo NX Console ctophil 14 2,435 10-20-2016 04:04 PM
  Man finds rare Sony-Nintendo collaboration SNES-CD console Thalack 8 2,989 07-21-2016 01:48 AM
  Your First Game for Each Console ctophil 11 2,569 03-26-2016 04:59 PM
  Console Iterations xlom3000 2 896 03-22-2016 05:16 PM
Last Post: ctophil
  Retro Freak Console ctophil 12 3,044 12-10-2015 11:49 PM