Thread Closed 
RIP Skyrim and it's modding community (NSFW) -- Steam reversed their decision!
04-24-2015, 09:24 PM
RIP Skyrim and it's modding community (NSFW) -- Steam reversed their decision!
I will just put this here...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2...e-disaster

Fuck you Valve (aka Steam) and the horse you fucked in on!! If this is the future I want NO damned part of it. Just wow...

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2015, 06:37 AM
RE: RIP Skyrim and it's modding community (NSFW)
Oh boy, the day started bad and became even darker :-/
Find all posts by this user
04-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Here's another bit to read about it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2914235/v...riots.html

04-25-2015, 08:42 PM
I don't think there's something good about the idea, I'd gladly pay a small price for a professional mod that is worth the money, but I think that mods in general should be free, at least if the devs don't have to pay anything.
If you want to create mods it should be free, if you want to be paid for your work you should become a professional developer, but that's just my two cents.
04-25-2015, 08:50 PM
I agree. Mods are a hobby and DLC is a product. What this does is turn hobbyists in to pseudo developers. And that kills the hobby and it's community. This is such a bad idea and will ruin modding in general from now on. This is the example test before it gets rolled out to all steam games.

Crock of shit this is...

04-25-2015, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't say it COMPLETELY ruins modding in general, but it makes lots and lots of space for low quality bullshit and the bad stuff will probably be overpriced anyway.
04-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Well, I'm not into mods very much; but like everything else, there will always be good and bad products, no matter if it is a hobbyist thing like modding or a professional DLC. For example, the Apple and Android digital stores are filled to the sky with indie titles. It's so flooded, you can barely figure out what to download and play. I always get confused when I get on those stores to download an adventure game. I usually have to read reviews and opinions from forums before journeying off to play an indie title. Same thing with modding. Once the mod market gets flooded with cheap indie mods, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack for quality titles.

I say if you like mods, just do your homework before paying for a mod. I'm sure there will be quality mods that are worth the extra few bucks for it.
04-26-2015, 05:23 PM
(04-26-2015 04:47 PM)ctophil Wrote:  I say if you like mods, just do your homework before paying for a mod. I'm sure there will be quality mods that are worth the extra few bucks for it.

But that's the main problem I have though. Mods have always been free and should always be free. Modding is a hobby, and for those who want the $$ then they are developers of a product and not modders. I don't want to pay for 3rd party fan content, but if I feel the need to "donate" only 25% of the proceeds go to the modders and only if they sell a certain dollar amount. The other 75%? Guess where that goes no matter what. Steam/Valve.

What this will do is stop a large portion of the collaboration between mod authors since that content will now be sold and under license. In fact it has already started happening from the threads/posts I've been reading on the Nexus.

04-26-2015, 06:23 PM
(04-26-2015 05:23 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  
(04-26-2015 04:47 PM)ctophil Wrote:  I say if you like mods, just do your homework before paying for a mod. I'm sure there will be quality mods that are worth the extra few bucks for it.

But that's the main problem I have though. Mods have always been free and should always be free. Modding is a hobby, and for those who want the $$ then they are developers of a product and not modders. I don't want to pay for 3rd party fan content, but if I feel the need to "donate" only 25% of the proceeds go to the modders and only if they sell a certain dollar amount. The other 75%? Guess where that goes no matter what. Steam/Valve.

What this will do is stop a large portion of the collaboration between mod authors since that content will now be sold and under license. In fact it has already started happening from the threads/posts I've been reading on the Nexus.

I know what you mean, bro. I'm sure once the mod market becomes more mature with the paying model, there will be mods that are still free and others will be with a price. This is true with the digital Apps market in the Apple/Android stores. This is also true with digital games for the consoles recently. There are some "free-to-play" games starting to show up on consoles. I know the problem would be that some mods you really want to play but have to pay for it.

We live in a Capitalistic society (sad but true). So, it was bound to happen to the modding community. Just think of it this way: All industries started off as a hobby thing. From cars to airplanes, from comic books to video games, it always started with somebody in their private laboratory or garage trying to build something cool and just having fun with it. But as people caught on, it became a bigger thing and entered the buy, sell, and trade market.

I've been pretty upset, as you know, with magazines, movies, and video games going digital. Though convenient, the digital market just cheapens the products. There is no value in digital. In fact, you don't even own digital media. You just paid the rights to watch or play it. When the streaming server or network/hard drive breaks or shuts down, you will lose it forever. The reason why I say this is that there will always be changes that will really throw you for a loop. We just have to adapt somehow.
04-27-2015, 01:39 AM
Never turn a hobby into a business it never ends well. I love modding. Hell I spent the a good long while the other day modding my FF7 to do another play through with interesting mods.
05-01-2015, 04:51 PM
And just like that Valve/Steam admit they made a mistake and reversed this decision. Win one for the community! Grin

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWo...5253244218

Quote:We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

05-01-2015, 06:12 PM
RE: RIP Skyrim and it's modding community (NSFW) -- Steam reversed their decision!
That's great news, JC. I'm sure it was the huge community protest that made them reverse the decision. This is what makes America great. If you don't like something, get a group to bring back what you want. lol.
05-01-2015, 06:19 PM
RE: RIP Skyrim and it's modding community (NSFW) -- Steam reversed their decision!
Now if only politics worked the same way! ;)

I'm very pleased at this decision to go back because this modding community is awesome.

Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Google, I have a message for you. [NSFW] JCE3000GT 11 2,706 07-30-2015 06:13 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT