I'm tired of...
06-13-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm tired of...
...all this fucking bullshit from the gaming industry. I'm sick and bloody tired of everything being concentrated on graphics and gimmicks. I've literally done this rant a dozen times in the last 15 years. There hasn't been a good quality (RPG) game since Final Fantasy XII came out and before that it was last century. Do you realize that Final Fantasy XII is 6 years old? SIX YEARS! Grand Theft Auto III revolutionized the action game genre, or that is it should have. Every game released afterwards that was an open-ended action game stunk monkey balls. FPS and MMO games have taken over and made the gaming industry a joke as well. What ever happened to, I don't know, just producing a game first based upon a story followed by the game being coded to be able to tell that story.

Why do I enjoy old games? Because the story and gameplay were first on the list followed by what graphics and sound technology were available to just tell that story in a world that the game player uses. Give me Final Fantasy XIII and stuff it into a Final Fantasy IV game engine and I bet it would be a superior game overall. Or take one of these new retarded FPS shooter games and stuff it into an original Doom engine or even Contra style and I bet it would be more fun. When you have a limit of what you can visually produce you can spend more time developing the game story and gameplay to be able to tell that story. Cartridge systems had a limit in both technology and monetary value. It costed some serious money to use EERPOM chips with a higher Mbit capacity versus the lower capacity chips. Imagine if Final Fantasy VII was cut down from the 4 PSX CDs to a 32Mbit or 48Mbit cartridge. No CGI movies and no 3D environments. It would probably look something like a cross between Chrono Trigger, Romancing SaGa 3, and Tales of Phantasia. That would be excellent. Grin

I don't like the direction that the gaming industry is going, and if 3D becomes more mainstream I will literally shut down and never buy a new game until games become a fad and go back to being non-mainstream. I play 8-bit and 16-bit games on a regular basis. I do this because they are fun, not pretentious, and most importantly FUN. Even the hard games still are fun when I play them. PC games are even worse, but, generally they always have been a rather unruly beast. My favorite PC game is StarCraft followed by Unreal Tournament and Dungeon Siege. Sadly, each of these games' sequels were good to ok, and they did not capture the original's charm or my attention span. Oddly, I go back to playing these games on a regular basis--like I'm going through StarCraft again now. FPS games are ruining everything in the PC world just like RTS' did in the 00's and hack-n-slash did in the late 90's to early 00's.

It's sad that what I look forward to most of all are remakes of previously awesome games. Thus making my console game playing considerations narrowed to handheld systems. The Wii came out with a fucking BANG and 1yr after it's release it went the way of the Dreamcast being another great system with shitty-ass (and lacking) 3rd software and in the Wii's case a stupid controller system. The XBOX and XBOX 360 are decent, but, it has the PlayStation 1 syndrome where for every 100 games there is literally count 'em on 1 hand good game ratio. The PS2 was slightly better only because of the massive 3rd party support and because Sony already had previous experience in the console gaming industry.

I'm not saying I don't like graphics and all that jazz, what I'm saying is the games are feeling more and more focused on visual stimulation and in-game gimmicks rather than a solid story + gameplay thrown into a good visual game engine. Final Fantasy XII is the ONLY modern game to accomplish this along with Grand Theft Auto III.

Let's talk consoles.

Nintendo needs to stop coming out with gay-ass unwanted "technology" and shit. The Wii remote and all that motion shit was cool, that is when used as an extra add-on and not the primary control method. I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE DAMN WII MOTE OR NUNCHUCK FOR ALL OF MY NORMAL GAMES!! Microsoft had it right with the regular-ass console with a regular-ass controller THEN come out with Kinect as an add-on. THAT'S how you do it. The last time Nintendo had a great console system it was--ready for it--the fucking SNES. That's right, 14+ years of CRAP from them since a good solid game console. These gaming companies are too busy trying to be innovative and not allowing for game creation creativity. That doesn't make sense right? Well, what I mean is these companies are trying to out innovate each other on hardware technology and what gets left behind are companies that are forced to choose between a rock (Sony), a hard place (Microsoft), and a moon in space (Nintendo). The game companies have to either pick a console or code cross-platform games that always suck on 2 of the 3 systems. These systems all don't really compete with one another either in my opinion. The Wii is out in space somewhere and like the 2 systems before it is geared for a younger audience with a tiny ability for adults to play along. The PS and XBOX sort of compete directly, but, they are different enough that they aren't really in the same category. The XBOX has always been a more hardcore system while the PS has been a jack-of-all-trades system.

What say you?

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2012, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2012 09:19 AM by Thalack.)
RE: I'm tired of...
I agree their really IMO hasn't been a great RPG since FF7. Chrono Trigger / Earthbound / Lufia Series / BoF series were my all time favorite games as well.

I've always mostly been a PC gamer though. However, last few years i've gotten this feeling that PC gaming is coming to an end of it's era. These days every MMORPG is the exact same as the other ones with prettier graphics. I just don't see pc gaming lasting too much longer.

Now I think consoles will always be the future but back to the whole RPG thing. Your right the most recent Final Fantasy it's like. Fighting.. some more fighting... some more fighting. 1 city in the entire game... What happened to games with decent story lines and world maps in between towns???

EDIT: Also tired of seeing so many companies resorting to browser/fb type games.
Find all posts by this user
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey There,

New around here, but, I would have to agree with what you're saying.

I'm 27, so I grow up around a lot of these classic games for NES/SNES.. I used to think Mario 2, Zelda and FF1&2 were just the most damn awesome games ever. Blaster Master was another of my favourite games.

I would consider myself more of a computer person these days. The last real playthrough of a console RPG for me was FFVIII.. since I played legit, it was damn fun.. even beat the Omega weapon without Lionheart, since I didn't know how to get the ingredients at the time.

I'm new to HardTypes, but, I love the idea, because it means I can replay my old favourites!!

:P
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
(06-13-2012 09:17 AM)Thalack Wrote:  I agree their really IMO hasn't been a great RPG since FF7. Chrono Trigger / Earthbound / Lufia Series / BoF series were my all time favorite games as well.

BOF1 = very good
BOF2 = even better
BOF3 = not quite as good as either
BOF4+ = Not interested, didn't enjoy 4 at all.

Lufia was a series that desperately needed to be continued...

Chrono Trigger was very good and Earthbound was fun for what it was.

But, FF7 is the game I solely blame for starting this whole whirlwind of the RPG genre demise. Square decided on abusing it by deciding it would be 2.5D (not quite 3D) then added a shit-load of CGI cut scenes. This made the game somewhat irritating to me as it was a very good story. But I felt it lacked substance, just something about it just didn't (and still don't) feel right. But at least the story was good.

Ironically most the best 16-bit RPGs for the SNES were never released in North America. Romancing SaGa series, Final Fantasy V, Rudora no Hihou, Terranigma, Tales of Phantasia, Treasure Hunter G, Seiken Densetsu 3, Dragon Quest series (minus 4), and countless other now-translated roms were brilliant.

Quote:I've always mostly been a PC gamer though. However, last few years i've gotten this feeling that PC gaming is coming to an end of it's era. These days every MMORPG is the exact same as the other ones with prettier graphics. I just don't see pc gaming lasting too much longer.

PC gaming is definitely coming to an end because game consoles can do the same exact games as the PC in quality. Used to be the PC was always the superior gaming platform with the ability to upgrade your hardware. Ironically I preferred the lesser console versions back in the old days simply because of no-installing and the controller. Now it's reversed. FPS and RTS games absolutely NEED a mouse and keyboard for accuracy.

Quote:Now I think consoles will always be the future but back to the whole RPG thing. Your right the most recent Final Fantasy it's like. Fighting.. some more fighting... some more fighting. 1 city in the entire game... What happened to games with decent story lines and world maps in between towns???

RPG's are a genre that desperately needs a regression in technology. Let's get back to the basics guys. Let's start with the bird's eye view just to start!

Quote:EDIT: Also tired of seeing so many companies resorting to browser/fb type games.

Everything is going the way of apps, and I'm irritated too.

(06-13-2012 10:46 AM)drag0nwind Wrote:  Hey There,

New around here, but, I would have to agree with what you're saying.

I'm 27, so I grow up around a lot of these classic games for NES/SNES.. I used to think Mario 2, Zelda and FF1&2 were just the most damn awesome games ever. Blaster Master was another of my favourite games.

I would consider myself more of a computer person these days. The last real playthrough of a console RPG for me was FFVIII.. since I played legit, it was damn fun.. even beat the Omega weapon without Lionheart, since I didn't know how to get the ingredients at the time.

I'm new to HardTypes, but, I love the idea, because it means I can replay my old favourites!!

:P

I'm 32 and I'm pretty much in the same boat but I'd add the Atari, Sega Master System, ColecoVision, and Intellivision (was pretty much dead when I was 3-4 LOL) for my generation.

The good stuff was definitely in the late 80's through the mid 90's in my opinion...

06-13-2012, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2012 03:22 PM by Thalack.)
29 here I had most consoles that game out over time but my favorite console that I took most pride in was my turbografx-16 because none of my friends or anyone I knew had one when they came out. Also in my honest opinion the turbografx in some ways was better than the snes despite the lack of games. I think turbografx just chose bad timing on it's release.

I could make a list of RPG games that I like but it would go on forever. Most of the ones I like actually have great replay value.
Also non rpg but 2 of my favorite action games just so happen to be on the NES. Duck Tales and Totally Rad. Incredible games incredible soundtracks!
06-13-2012, 04:56 PM
(06-13-2012 03:20 PM)Thalack Wrote:  29 here I had most consoles that game out over time but my favorite console that I took most pride in was my turbografx-16 because none of my friends or anyone I knew had one when they came out.

I loved my TG16 too, I bought it over a Sega Genesis first. To me the best platform game is still Bonk's Adventure. Love that one over anything else under the platform genre with exception of Super Mario World which is tied on my list. Grin

06-13-2012, 06:05 PM
(06-13-2012 04:56 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  
(06-13-2012 03:20 PM)Thalack Wrote:  29 here I had most consoles that game out over time but my favorite console that I took most pride in was my turbografx-16 because none of my friends or anyone I knew had one when they came out.

I loved my TG16 too, I bought it over a Sega Genesis first. To me the best platform game is still Bonk's Adventure. Love that one over anything else under the platform genre with exception of Super Mario World which is tied on my list. Grin

I also had a 3DO I remember buying a game called Star Control 2 (which the pc version is open source and free now) That game was so hardcore!
06-13-2012, 06:06 PM
(06-13-2012 06:05 PM)Thalack Wrote:  
(06-13-2012 04:56 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  

I also had a 3DO I remember buying a game called Star Control 2 (which the pc version is open source and free now) That game was so hardcore!

Got both of those too. Still play it too. Grin

06-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Here is the PC version :P http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Since it's been open source for af ew years people have really improved the game so much. Better font, music and some graphic changes. Even fixed a few glitches that were on the 3do version.
06-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Yea, I've been playing that too. I actually contributed high quality music to them in the beginning but I don't think I got any credit...

09-07-2012, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 10:03 PM by Lotex.)
Well well, looks like I've got some brothers in arms here.
I started playing (if you can even call that playing, I was around 3 or 4 years old) with my big brother's C64, but lost sight of video games for some years and returned with the snes and even if pc games and newer consoles may have the graphic on their side, I still think that the snes was the best thing ever, there's nothing compared to the days when you got a new game , insert it into the console, grab the controller and start to play without thinking stuff like "meh, the handling sucks" or "the graphic's are pretty bad".

I recently found the Lufia II remake "Lufia 2 - Curse of the Sinistrals" and gave it a try and all I could think of was "Fuck me sideways, are you guys serious?!"
I was pretty shocked and a little sad, since I really love Lufia 2 for the snes and I couldn't believe what they did to this game. Sure, some people will say that this remake is awesome and that's a legitimate opinion, but nothing I would ever touch again. I can't believe how they could fuck up a really good game, even if they don't have to create something special, just a remake. While this free movement (don't know the exact english word for it) is a good thing in games like Secret of Mana or Secret of Evermore, it just plainly sucks for Lufia.

Another example, but a good one this time, is Final Fantasy 4 for the DS.
They changed things here and there, but not too much. The characters are still the same, the locations are still the same, the story is still the same...THAT is a remake, but I got the feeling that they changed way too much for Lufia.

But back to the topic, I don't really think that the good times for console x or the pc are over, but I think that there won't be too many really good games for people like me anymore, since I expect something totally different in a game like most of the kids nowadays.
To be honest, I don't think that games like Call of Duty or Battlefield are good games, I just don't really like them...My alltime favorite shooter is still Doom 2 or Duke Nukem 3D, even if the graphics are pretty poor.
In a moment like this, I really understand it when old people tell about something that starts with "back in my days..."
The industry and the development are changing and as sad as it is, we have to change too to enjoy new things as well.
09-07-2012, 08:40 PM
While FF4 for the DS was a remake with a decent concept the execution wasn't to my liking. I found myself liking FF4 Anniversary for the PSP.

I just hope we aren't at the end already of the traditional game. The LAST thing I want is an app based society. Unfortunately that's already happening.

09-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Of course you can't please the whole audience, if you try to create a remake of a game that got long in the tooth, but if like 50% of the likers turn to haters for this remake, something went incredibly wrong.
Besides that's one thing I really like about your MQ Reborn, it mostly changes the right things without overturning the whole game.
I didn't really need the "new" music, but I think the balancing things were pretty good, frustrating sometimes but it leaves a good overall impression, but it will take some time for to finish it, I don't feel like starting everything anew because I miss important spells, but I'll definitely finish it in the future.

Changes are a good and in my opinion neccessary things, but you must not overturn things in the wrong way. When I take a look at our youth, I see too many brainless douchebags who don't have the slightest clue about what's going on in the world or even in our very own country. Seems a little off since I'm only 26 years old myself, but sometimes it's a shame what or who is called the future (of our nation, as well as the world).
09-07-2012, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 09:28 PM by Thalack.)
MMO world seems to be getting worse as well especially f2p or should I say "pay to win" games. I seriously haven't found shit worth a damn to play in a very long time.. but torchlight 2 comes out 20th of this month.. maybe that will give me something to do in my spare time.

EDIT: especially since d3 was epic fail
09-08-2012, 12:32 AM
That's true, World of Warcraft was pretty good for some years, in fact it's still pretty popular, but I think the glory fades away step by step.
I wouldn't say it's completely on the downgrade, but I think more and more people are getting tired of the same things over and over again.
The boss mechanics are the same over and over again like move if the boss does ability x, interrupt if he does ability y, taunt him if thing z happens.
I can't even really tell what happened, but I think raids like Molten Core or Ahn'Qiraj were so much more epic than things like Dragon Soul.
The same thing's happening to WoW what happens to nearly all of the games.

My best examples for the change of the game (series) are Splinter Cell and Silent Hill - While the last titles were still great games in my opinion, they stop feeling like the original ones.
The story of Silent Hill: Downpour was still fine and the realization was ok too, but the 2nd part was much more superior in comparison.

And Diablo 3...I don't want to badmouth it since it may still have some good points...But for me, it didn't feel like Diablo anymore. I really liked the 1st part, even it was pretty simple and not too long. I abosolutely loved this game, I probably played it for around 4 or 5 years, but I only played Diablo 3 for maybe a month and thought screw you, life's too precious to waste it with this game...That may sound a bit too exaggerated, but that should show my disappointment.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I'm tired of animal cruelty JCE3000GT 18 6,428 05-27-2015 10:50 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT