What games deserve a remake?
02-18-2015, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 06:07 PM by ctophil.)
What games deserve a remake?
Hey everyone,

You know, I believe that if more companies focus on remakes of retro games, they would make a lot of money. The recent success of the DuckTales remake is proof that retro games can make quite the splash. However, just like any game, a remake has to be well developed with the proper care in all departments, i.e. graphics, sound, characters, gameplay, story, and so forth. Don't be like the Golden Axe remake (Golden Axe: Beast Rider) that barely got out of the market. Of course, you also got ten thousand versions of Tetris and Pac-Man. Those aren't really remakes, but are just different variations of the same game. I guess you can count a few Pac-Man titles that are remakes with enhanced graphics, gameplay, and sound. Resident Evil HD and Killer Instinct were also recent remakes that really hit the bar.

Here is a list of games I want to be remade for current gen consoles.

1. Final Fantasy VI - I would buy this one in a heartbeat. lol. My favorite RPG needs a facelift, but not in 3D. It should stay in 2D but with modern graphics, music, and perhaps some vocals for the songs. They should also add some storyline elements to enhance the characters' development even more. Sure, they have released the game on various platforms over the years. However, it never received a full remake.

2. Golden Axe - I want to see a real remake of this game. I even formed a development team back in the day to make this happen. But of course, I ran out of steam, since the team was not as dedicated and money was an issue. It should be upgraded to 2.5D graphics similar to the arcade sequel, Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder. I would like to also see a bigger selection of characters and even hidden characters like in the Mortal Kombat series. I know it's not a fighting game, but it should have similar attributes. Which reminds me, though Golden Axe was a fun game, it should also have more moves and magic. With modern machines, 4-player coop via local and online would be great.

3. Streets of Rage - Another Sega classic that needs a huge facelift. Although there is a homebrew game in development right now called Project Y that is very similar to Streets of Rage, I would rather Sega do it correctly and call it Streets of Rage HD or something. Similar to Golden Axe, more characters, moves, and items you can pick up to bash your enemies would all be a plus for this remake. The music could use a modern remix of sorts, but keep the MIDI sounds if possible.

4. Actraiser - Oh yeah, this game was one of my very favorite SNES titles. It was a fantastic side-scroller with a very fun town-building simulator. It would be so awesome to play this in HD on say the Xbox 360 or PS3. And then, what better than a fully orchestrated upgraded soundtrack? I love that game and deserves a remake more than any other game in my opinion.

5. Metroid - Well, Super Metroid is a lot better game, but perhaps it shouldn't be remade. I think that it's a perfect game that can't be any better other than graphics. But the original Metroid should be remade with some tweaks in all departments. Don't get me wrong, Metroid was a good game in itself. But it would be an even better game if done right.

6. Soul Blazer - This game is on par with the fantastic Actraiser in every way. Everything from the cool bosses to the great top-down RPG action, the game is a masterpiece. Don't change anything, just enhance every aspect of it.

7. Super Mario Bros - This was the game that started the revolution of Nintendo and dawn of a new era of video games after the game industry crash in the 1980s. Sure, it was sort of remade in Super Mario All-Stars. But, it was just graphics & sound enhancements. Nintendo needs to bring back Super Mario Bros. with new enemies, levels, bosses, and modern 64-bit 2D graphics for its 30 year anniversary since the game's release date in Japan of September 13, 1985, which would mark 30 years if Nintendo releases it this year as a remake for the Wii U. I bet if I was on Nintendo's Board of Directors, it would be released.

8. Bonk's Adventure - The only other game mascot who deserves great fan recognition other than Mario. Did I forget Sonic? No, but I didn't like the Sonic games as much. And I'm sure Sonic fans would throw a fit at me. But I digress. Bonk's Adventure was a very a fun game, right up there with the original Super Mario Bros. So, it deserves every bit of a facelift for the modern generation. People need a taste of what classic gaming is all about with their next-gen fanciness, such as bigger levels, awesome new enemies/bosses, and souped up graphics & sound.

That's all I can think of right now. So, what games do you want to be remade?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2015, 08:15 PM
RE: What games deserve a remake?
Those are some great games on that list, but, I would rather no more Final Fantasy games in the main series get remade. Squeenix just needs to leave that franchise alone. The spin offs are ok to touch.

My list will be expanded in the next day or two but here are the games.

1. Bonk's Adventure
2. Gargoyle's Quest
3. Seiken Densetsu 2
4. Romancing SaGa 2 & 3
5. SaGa 1-3
6. Final Fantasy Tactics
7. Suikoden
8. Drakkhen
9. Soul Blazer
10. Dossun: Ganseki Battle
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-20-2015, 06:36 PM
1. Bonk's Adventure
2. Gargoyle's Quest
3. Seiken Densetsu 2
4. Romancing SaGa 2 & 3
5. SaGa 1-3
6. Final Fantasy Tactics
7. Suikoden
8. Drakkhen
9. Soul Blazer
10. Dossun: Ganseki Battle
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

----------------------------

1. Bonk's Adventure -- So this is purely my opinion, but, other than Super Mario World my favorite platform game is BY FAR Bonk's Adventure followed by Bonk's Revenge. At the time Bonk came over to North America all we really had was Super Mario Bros 1-3 on the NES and a bunch of random other plaformers for the 8-bit systems. Sonic came the next year (1991). Here's the deal, mostly what we had for platform games in that era was the usual Mario-style of stomp on the monsters or jump over them. What made Bonk great is it introduced a new style of gameplay for the genre by having you "bonk" the character's head on enemies to damage/kill them. That's not even the best part! When you jump you can "spin" Bonk around which if done fast enough or with the use of the turbo switch he can stay in the air longer. Juggling enemies will raise the score and after a few will give an extra life. Brilliant! The next best bit is on the powerups meat can be eaten and will transform Bonk to a stronger version of himself with two levels of transformations and if given a big piece of meat also grants invincibility. The graphics are on par with most of what the Genesis put out most of the time (except Vectorman and Garfield Caught in the Act). While the PC Engine / Turbo Grafx 16 was 16-bit it was really 8-bit x2. That really didn't matter back then (I'm talking to you Sega!) because the way the hardware was used there never was any slowdowns and the gameplay was silky smooth. After saying all of that my favorite bit is actually the music. There never has been a soundtrack for a platform game that just 100% fits with the environment. The PS2/GameCube Japanese remake was brilliant and a brand new game was planned it was unfortunately scrapped. The aforementioned remake never made it outside of Japan so we all are not so fortunate having not had the opportunity to play it natively. I do own the GameCube import and have played it so I can tell you it is brilliant and is so begging a re-release or a new game based upon that engine and style. Today retro gaming is huge and remakes of older games are also equally as huge so it is time to bring back some of the forgotten classics to modern systems. It worked awesome with Duck Tales.

2. Gargoyle's Quest -- So in 1990 after having owned a GameBoy for almost a year this game came out and I was intrigued. So I earned some money mowing lawns (as usual) and bought this game. Wow was I not disappointed. I was glued to the screen for days on end and I easily went through several 4-packs of AA's through this process. The great thing about this game is it mixes the platform genre with some RPG elements. Package that with a unique main character, smooth gameplay, and great music and it is a good overall package. I chose this for a remake simply because not only are platform games (2D specifically) a lost art-form but this isn't your usual style of the genre. The graphics are clean and help with the storytelling and gameplay. For those who like retro games I recommend checking this one out. :)

3. Seiken Densetsu 2 (aka Secret of Mana) -- This game needs NO introduction and I'm not going to type out a response like I did with Bonk because if you are reading this forum at all then you already know how awesome this game is. So I'll just summarize why this needs a remake in 4 simple points below.

-Fix bugs (especially with the battle system)
-Enhance the already colorful graphics
-Remaster and arrange the music
-Relocalize the story script

That's all folks, the rest is pretty brilliant as-is.

4. Romancing SaGa 2 & 3 -- The first Romancing SaGa was remade appropriately as Romancing SaGa for the PS2 and actually was even released here in North America! I bought it a couple years after the release and was immediately addicted. While the game went from 2D to 3D I actually thought Squeenix did a fantastic job of keeping the original feel of the Super Famicom game and adding new flair by doing the world in 3D. The visual are awesome and the battles are fast and insane with the best bit being all of the special techniques learned at random as a Romancing SaGa game should have. The first thing on my list is obviously playing a game that wasn't originally released here but the second best bit is the music. I cannot tell you how awesome the music is, definitely worth buying the sound track for.

So I set all that up to say this: Do the same thing to Romancing SaGa 2 & 3 that was done with Romancing SaGa 1.

5. SaGa 1-3 -- Funny that I have 5 SaGa games listed for remakes. Why you ask? Because the SaGa games are superior to most of what North American gamers feel are the best RPGs released here. No really, they are. Final Fantasy aside the SaGa series is quite epic. They are non-linear (minus SaGa 1) and all have great battle systems, graphics for their time, and the music is brilliant.

6. Final Fantasy Tactics -- No, the War of the Lions for the PSP is not a remake it is a port (and a bad one at that). This game really needs a proper remake and 21st centry update. The story is among the best in a game in history, it really is a prime example of an in-depth well thought-out storyline that is executed perfectly. Even the translation to English was quite good I thought. The battle system and isometric view is another idea that are perfectly executed too. Each stage can have the story events and battle mixed and matched seemlessly which works extremely well in this game. The music is also among the best in a game with every song fitting the atmosphere of when it is played. This game remade today would sell extremely well and would be a great cash cow for Squeenix.

7. Suikoden -- In 1996 when I bought this game, I bought it simply based upon what the front and back cover looked like. That was pretty common for me back in those days. I wasn't disappointed and still today it is probably my favorite RPG behind Final Fantasy Tactics on the PlayStation. While the PS2 entries of this series were great they just didn't capture the magic that the first one did and now that gaming console hardware has taken several large leaps from the PS2 a remake would make a brilliant game even better. I cannot imagine Suikoden remade in HD because it would just be that good. Konami needs to step up!

8. Drakkhen -- People are going to look at me funny on this one. Well, I love this game, love it to death. I sill play it even today. It is hard, cumbersome, ugly, hard, cumbersome, old, hard, and lastly cumbersome. You know what, screw that nonsense. Prejudices aside people need to give games like this a chance, even if that means gamegenie codes. The story is very intriguing and very different, but, the sad thing is the dialogue is very short and thus relies on the game player to use their imagination. This is actually not a bad idea, the problem is game players under say age 25~30 really don't have much of an imagination like this simply because since the disc-based consoles have been out in homes the more data and game content could be put in thus eliminating the need to use an imagination. I'm not being insulting here, I'm just pointing out if you don't have to use something frequently you lose some of that ability over time. It is human nature. What I like most about Drakkhen is how the game has 4 regions and in each region are completely different environments not to mention the day/night cycle is pretty neat. The music is very fitting and quite good actually considering its simplicity. The way you travel around the world and interact with the environment is one of the upsides to this game for sure even if it is short. This game needs to be remade and definitely expanded upon because the actual substance this game does contain is pretty good. It may be at its EOL (end of life) but that doesn't mean it couldn't be resurrected in to something new and modern.

9. Soul Blazer -- Phil said some great things about this so I'll just add on a few additional points. This game was one of the best most unique games to grace a 16-bit console. The thought of you rescuing trapped souls to rebuild the game's towns/areas is not only very unique but it makes you feel like you are actually doing positive work. You could turn this mostly top-down view perspective to a 3D perspective and not lose any playability I believe. This is a perfect game to make that change, plus, with such a unique premise and 2 more games in this series it could be another cash cow for Squeenix. My favorite part of this game is...surprise...the music. I'm very picky on my game music though you wouldn't know it. This is one of those soundtracks that have been listening to the audio files of for YEARS. The music never gets old. The story is very well written and the English translation is also pretty good for the day.

10. Dossun: Ganseki Battle -- Hey, what can I say, this game is great. Why? Well its a puzzle game but the goal is to defeat your opponent by forming 3+ tiles of an attack type and sending that attack over to your opponent. For example, if you have 3+ tiles horizontally, vertically, or diagonally you will send over a physical attack which damages your opponent. You can get physical attacks, magical attacks, healing potions, and even special attacks that can have various effects. It came before games like Super Puzzle Fighter so this would be considered the first in that attacking puzzle genre. The "battle" music is very catchy and never seems to wear on you. The graphics are pretty good as with most games in that era for the Super Famicom / Super Nintendo. It wasn't released in North America but you do not need to know how to read Japanese to be able to play it. I mean, its a puzzle game. Though, having said that there is actually a story mode but you can only imagine how in-depth that can be. More old school puzzle games need to be remade but this is a special one with something different and in North America something unique to offer.

11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest -- Ok so I'm tired of the people who hate this game and spout all kinds of useless bullshit when this game comes up in conversations. Those people need to get past the simplicity of the game engine and focus on the good stuff, which is just about everything else! The story is actually quite interesting and even with simplistic dialogue the story is very well told. The characters do have a sense of worth and with an open mind you will actually begin to care for them as your party members. The battle system is simplistic yes, but, it has some depth and a bit of strategizing is needed on some of the bosses and later-in-game enemies. World map is linear, but is still quite colorful and you get a sense of reward when you begin to "restore" it. The magic spells are pretty cool and overall the visual effects are pretty on par with most games for 16-bit systems in the early 90's. That brings us to the best part of this whole thing, the music absolutely and completely rocks. The battle music in particular is some of the best in that decade. I cannot imagine if this game is remade how even better the music would be with real instruments. With tweaks to the game engine, story dialogue changes, and the overall visual environment getting remade it would be a great game. Maybe not a cash cow like some of the others but it would sell for sure.

02-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Very cool list and descriptions, JC. What are you thoughts toward the prequel/sequels to Gargoyle's Quest, namely Gargoyle's Quest II and Demon's Crest? I played Demon's Crest for SNES, and it's a good game. It felt similar to Ghost N' Goblins for NES, not surprisingly since they are like spinoffs from the same series.

I'll probably still look at you funny for loving Drakkhen so much. lol. Well, to be fair, I never even played Drakkhen. I just read a lot of reviews and opinions when I was younger. If you guys know me, I read and know about a lot of games without even picking up a controller to play them. I'm just a bookworm, not just about games, but about most topics folks never think about. Anyways, I have respect for JC's opinions when it comes to video games, and I did promise him I would try out Drakkhen one of these days...just hopefully soon. lol.

You seem to also like Secret of Mana a lot too. I'm surprised you didn't include it in your list of remakes. Or is it one of those things where you like it exactly the way it is, similar to the mainline Final Fantasies?
02-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks Phil, this is a great topic. On Secret of Mana I did have it on my list, I just inadvertently used its Japanese name of Seiken Densetsu 2 instead. Of all of the games I would personally want remade Secret of Mana is #2 behind Final Fantasy Tactics. Secret of Mana is such a great gem of a game I'm surprised it hasn't been remade yet.

02-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Oh, for some reason your listing on Seiken Dentsetsu 2 escaped my thought patterns. Hehe.

Here are a few more titles to add to my remake list.

9. Battletoads - This game was super hard! Especially on the bike-riding level, it was just impossible to me. I was able to recently get past that bike level with a friend, but we still couldn't make it past the following level. But you know, it was such a fun game! It also had some great graphics on the NES. In a remake of Battletoads, developers need to focus on the controls a bit more. It felt loose and sort of floaty when trying to do combos on enemies. Also, the hit detection on cliff edges were off. I can't tell you how many times I fell off the cliff when I was no where near a cliff. All this made the game more difficult than it supposed to be. Other than that, it's like Double Dragon with toads. :-) The music was really cool and catchy as well.

There were other games in the series, such as Battletoads & Double Dragon and Super Battletoads. Those were really good games and perhaps don't need a remake. But the original Battletoads would be fantastic with an updated fighting system, graphics & sound, and additional characters to choose from.

10. Double Dragon II - The first Double Dragon on NES was a single player game and was not as polished. But wow, the 2nd game in the series really was the best one. It got extremely hard later on in the game. But I have to congratulate myself for beating it several years ago with a friend. I might like this game more than Streets of Rage just due to the sheer number of moves you can perform if you practiced enough. I was able to do numerous combos, not with button mashing, but with true mastery of the moves. Plus, those power uppercuts and cyclone kicks were very exhilarating when done right. The game was so fun that I can play it over and over with any coop buddy. I believe a remake would be in order with even more crazy moves and coop combos. Sure, they did a remake called Double Dragon Neon a couple of years ago. But that one just didn't feel the same. Plus, it was almost an entirely different game with fan service. A true remake would be awesome.

11. Albert Odyssey - Most people never even heard of this title, much less give it a chance. This came out on Sega Saturn, and I am so glad I gave it a shot. It's got everything a good RPG has--great graphics, lovely characters, an exciting storyline, crazy villains, cool battle system, and the superb soundtrack! It was so underrated. It would be amazing to see it running on a modern console with increased difficulty, since it was a pretty easy game. This is quite the traditional JRPG. So, a remake would be nice to have some more side quests, mini games, and anime cut scenes to add to the drama. The game can be pretty lighthearted at times until the drama kicks in. Reminds me a lot of the Lunar series. If you haven't played this game yet, I suggest you give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
02-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Those are great games but Albert Odyssey is very very good. There was an Albert Odyssey released on the Super Famicom but it was Japan-only and I do not believe it was the same game. But they are all great games in this series and any jRPG fan should check it out! Totally deserves a remake.

While you are on the subject of LUNAR, now that's a game in my top 5 of most wanted remakes. I just would hope the Sega CD version is used and not the PSX version. I didn't like the PSX port, especially with the craptastic music changes among other things. This is making me want to play it now. LOL

02-22-2015, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 06:33 PM by ctophil.)
(02-20-2015 06:36 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest -- Ok so I'm tired of the people who hate this game and spout all kinds of useless bullshit when this game comes up in conversations. Those people need to get past the simplicity of the game engine and focus on the good stuff, which is just about everything else! The story is actually quite interesting and even with simplistic dialogue the story is very well told. The characters do have a sense of worth and with an open mind you will actually begin to care for them as your party members. The battle system is simplistic yes, but, it has some depth and a bit of strategizing is needed on some of the bosses and later-in-game enemies. World map is linear, but is still quite colorful and you get a sense of reward when you begin to "restore" it. The magic spells are pretty cool and overall the visual effects are pretty on par with most games for 16-bit systems in the early 90's. That brings us to the best part of this whole thing, the music absolutely and completely rocks. The battle music in particular is some of the best in that decade. I cannot imagine if this game is remade how even better the music would be with real instruments. With tweaks to the game engine, story dialogue changes, and the overall visual environment getting remade it would be a great game. Maybe not a cash cow like some of the others but it would sell for sure.

I got some awesome news that will make you fall off your chair. FF Mystic Quest remake just got announced. It's actually called Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest HD Remaster. It has updated graphics and sound. I'm not sure if anything else has been updated, but stayed tuned. Looks like it's already prime for release next month, March 2015. Mystic Quest HD Remaster will be released on PC, Android, and IPhone by Dark Design Games, a UK-based developer. Square Enix is also sponsoring this release, so you know it's coming out.

Finally, it's available now for pre-order for only $7.99. Why not pick up a copy? I will. :-) You can pre-order by clicking on "Store" at the top of the developer's web site.

Check out the article: http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-n...pment.html

Check out the developer's web site for screenshots and more information: http://darkdesigngames.com/#portfolio

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-22-2015, 10:16 PM
WTF?! OH MY FUCKING GOD! I know this will be digital only but I will buy this for the PC for sure. The screens look fantastic. :exclamation:

02-22-2015, 10:21 PM
FYI, I'm pre-ordering this right the hell now. BOOM!

02-22-2015, 10:39 PM
And...ORDER COMPLETED!

02-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Boner achieved, nuff said.

I'm so pre-ordering that today, but I'm not sure how it will be delivered and if it's a physical copy if it can/will be delivered to germany.

That's just awesome.
02-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Since it is Steam only on PC I doubt it will be a physical. But, one can only hope! I am praying they send at least SOMETHING physical that may be a collectible. If we do get something physical I will probably order two more just for collector's reasons. Grin

02-23-2015, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 01:03 PM by Lotex.)
Steam would be perfect for me, but even without knowing anything I ordered the game 2 minutes later anyway Grin
I just couldn't help myself, that's just awesome news, reminds me of Final Fantasy IV - The after Years for mobile phones.

Quote:Hi Christopher,

Thank you for pre-ordering Mystic Quest HD Remaster.

The items you will be sent on March 13, 2015 will include;

· The digital download / game disc, whichever you prefer, which includes both the PC and Android versions

· Bonus DLC content, including ‘Benjamin’s Origins’ , the prequel to Mystic Quest

· Bonus Content Package – Which includes original artwork and soundtrack and more

The Benjamin T-Shirt you can expect through the post in 5-7 working days.

Many thanks for your custom!

Kind Regards

Jake Jackson

Company Director

DARK DESIGN Games Ltd.

http://www.darkdesigngames.com

Seems like there would be something for you to collect, especially the "Benjamins' Origins" seems interesting.
02-23-2015, 01:06 PM
I just got this confirmation:

Quote:Thank you for pre-ordering Mystic Quest HD Remaster.

The items you will be sent on March 13, 2015 will include;

· The digital download / game disc, whichever you prefer, which includes both the PC and Android versions
· Bonus DLC content, including ‘Benjamin’s Origins’ , the prequel to Mystic Quest
· Bonus Content Package – Which includes original artwork and soundtrack and more

The Benjamin T-Shirt you can expect through the post in 5-7 working days.

02-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Yep, looks really good but I wonder how the 7,99 works out with the shipping costs for the shirts and the physical copies. It costs between 3 and 5,90 euros, so there wouldn't be much left for everything else.
02-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Second preorder done. So I'll have one physical copy and one digital. :)

02-23-2015, 01:52 PM
(02-23-2015 01:23 PM)Lotex Wrote:  Yep, looks really good but I wonder how the 7,99 works out with the shipping costs for the shirts and the physical copies. It costs between 3 and 5,90 euros, so there wouldn't be much left for everything else.

I wasn't charged shipping so I don't know about that...

02-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Not yet, but the Shirt will probably cost shipping and if you want the physical copy it will cost something as well, right?
02-23-2015, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 04:48 PM by ctophil.)
Hey you guys, check out the Youtube video demo below of Mystic Quest HD Remaster. It's the Battle with the Dark King. The music is really good!

The release date has been confirmed by the developer's Twitter updates for March 13, 2015.

Check out their Twitter updates for more screenshots. Just scroll towards the middle of the page.

Their Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/darkdesigngames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Xbone] First 12 BC games xlom3000 1 65 10-23-2017 09:39 AM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  What games deserve a sequel? ctophil 35 8,789 10-14-2017 12:10 PM
Last Post: xlom3000
  [PS4/PS Vita/Steam] Secret of Mana Remake xlom3000 29 1,095 10-13-2017 08:30 PM
  Thank you Gear Box & 2K Games JCE3000GT 5 781 07-07-2017 03:48 PM
  Official 3DO console + games thread JCE3000GT 17 1,692 05-17-2017 12:29 PM
  Homebrew Games Thread ctophil 11 3,714 03-30-2017 01:44 AM
  [PC] Unreal Tournament remake JCE3000GT 4 574 03-24-2017 07:48 PM
  Castlevania remake in Unreal JCE3000GT 4 699 01-25-2017 09:18 PM
  Anyone excited about any games coming out? JCE3000GT 53 7,678 07-07-2016 02:41 PM
Last Post: xlom3000
  Sega to release Genesis games on steam with mod support xlom3000 3 989 04-30-2016 03:43 PM
  Time playing games -- starts to get scary when you start to think about it JCE3000GT 8 1,983 03-22-2016 04:28 PM
Last Post: ctophil
  Physical vs Digital Games ctophil 15 2,805 02-22-2016 05:32 PM