Top 5 topic: #11 -- Sony PlayStation 1
01-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Top 5 topic: #11 -- Sony PlayStation 1
Let's hear it!

-----------------------------------

My top 5 in no particular order...well that is except the first one listed.

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Suikoden 1
4. Twisted Metal 2
5. (tie) Final Fantasy VIII / Final Fantasy Origins

Final Fantasy Tactics was and still remains the best game Squaresoft has put out since the mid-90's. It is highly addictive, has some fantastic music, great visuals, and a story that is so well told it might be one of the top 5 all time for me personally.

Resident Evil 2 doesn't really need explanation. My only complaint is the zombies didn't respawn and after you cleared the areas they felt "empty". The music and general atmosphere is top-notch. I enjoy playing even today.

Suikoden 1 also doesn't really need explanation as I'm sure Phil will have this too on his top 5 and can articulate its brilliance as well.

Twisted Metal 2 is one of those games that I feel has withstood the test of time. Yes the graphics are low res polygons that are way out dated. Yes the "story" is pretty weak. Yes the controls are very 90's arcade like (not good). And yes the game is sort of short, being able to beat it in a couple hours straight. Having said all of this (which do not matter) this game is one of those that you can pick up and instantly start having fun. Multiplayer is awesome. Single player is awesome. Music really gets you in to the mood. The levels are very well designed. And each of the characters have their own bit of awesomeness (except Grasshopper). I just cannot get enough and as long as I've got the ability to play this game from a technological standpoint I will.

I do not know why people hate on Final Fantasy VIII so much, it really is a fantastic game. In my opinion I find it to be a MUCH better game than FFVII and more fun than FFIX, both on the same system. The visuals and area designs are very good as is the music (as usual for Nobuo). Where I find the best part of the game is actually a combination of the story, characters, and believe it or not the magic system. Squaresoft went outside of the box on coming up with something new on how Final Fantasy does magic and that's all people complained about. Well to those people, just shut up. You didn't complain when Square changed the original Final Fantasy's magic system so don't complain about this one. The only two complaints I have are the monsters/battles are way too easy starting towards the end of the first disc and the Triple Triad should of been available separately from the main game. Maybe from the title screen or a separate disc? Speaking of Triple Triad, it just happens to be the BEST mini-game ever. It really deserved its own game, I would of legitimately payed full price for that in that era. Too bad nothing really came of it since FFIX-FFX ruined mini-games.

Final Fantasy Origins doesn't really need much explaining. Fantastic upgraded game engine with a more impressive music arrangement speaks for itself. I always felt the GameBoy Advance version of this (Dawn of Souls) was a bit butchered since the resolution and music were kind of screwy. Only complaint here is pretty common for games in this generation, and that is the loading times are a bit much.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2015, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 12:35 AM by Lotex.)
RE: Top 5 topic: #11 -- Sony PlayStation 1
1. Suikoden II
2. Suikoden I
3. Grandia
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Breath of Fire III

At least I think it was BoF III, shame on me that I can't tell apart if it was III or IV :-/

I have to agree that triple triad was a fun mini-game, especially compared to that annoying "avoid 200 lightnings" stuff in X, but I also think that Blitzball wasn't too bad if you get the hang of it, I always found it hard in the beginning but it got better with better players and more practice and it was something you could really work for compared to triple triad which was pretty random at some times. The sad thing about triple triad was that you couldn't have every card in the game, because you had to break them for ressources, either of pure laziness or because you couldn't get the stuff elsewhere.

I could've taken some others game, FFVIII instead of FFIX, but I chose IX because I played VIII on PC and not PSX.
Find all posts by this user
01-31-2015, 12:53 PM
I almost think FFVIII for the PC was inferior to the PSX, especially with the audio. Both VIII and IX had outstanding soundtracks, some of Nobuo's best. FFVIII needs an HD remake I think, but, I'm wondering if these HD remakes will be considered a fad and fade away.

I have SOME Triple Triad trading cards (as in real physical cards) but I didn't ever get around to getting the whole set. I'd love to have two sets, one to keep and one to play but I doubt the price will ever be there for that to be a reality.

01-31-2015, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 06:28 PM by ctophil.)
Okay, it's time for my Top 5 PS1 Games.

1. Suikoden
2. Metal Gear Solid
3. Final Fantasy Tactics
4. Xenogears
5. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

There you have it. Especially on earlier consoles like the Playstation, a game has to give me goose bumps, makes me hum songs in the shower, think about it while lying on bed, and has to make my mind get so engrossed in the gameplay that I can care less about what's going around me. That is the essence of the Top 5. The 5 games above all made me do those things.

It might be surprising that none of the regular Final Fantasy titles made it to the Top 5. Don't get me wrong, the FF titles on PS1 were very good. But none were as good as the ones on the SNES.

You guys already know how much I love the Suikoden series, hence the thread dedicated to it. The intro to Suikoden alone made you soak in the epic storyline and sense of adventure even before the game began. Suikoden had so much variety gameplay-wise. You got the regular battles, one-on-one, military battles, and collecting all of the 108 characters were awesome. The storyline was intense, heart-warming, and just plain twisted at times, but oh so good. The characters were all fantastic. You grow with them and felt their human traits to the bone. The graphics were really good for sprite-based graphics. The music puts it all together in a grand package that blows away the competition.

Metal Gear Solid was the best stealth, military, and action game of all time. Hideo Kojima is a Master storyteller. Outside of RPGs, I can't think of a single game better than Metal Gear Solid's story. There are twists and turns, betrayal and friendship, trust and distrust at every corner. Conspiracy plot at its finest. It just gets better and better. The graphics were absolutely state-of-the-art for PS1 3-D graphics, from the characters' breath in the ice-cold environment to the particle effects of the explosions and snow levels. The music was epic. Every moment in the game had music playing that made the scene 10 times better. I really felt for the characters, enemies, and other quirky comedic moments portrayed by the supporting cast.

JC already talked briefly how good Final Fantasy Tactics was. But I have to emphasize that the storyline and gameplay really got me going. The strategy element was simply fantastic. Some levels were VERY hard. But it was hard because your strategy stunk like a skunk, not because it was the game's fault. Sometimes, I would spend 2-3 hours on a single stage, trying over and over until I got the formula right. The storyline was SO confusing, but absolutely intriguing at the same time. There were like 3 dozen names and places mentioned. I could never keep up with the political back stabbing to save my life. But it was so cool. The music were also excellent, capturing some of the best moments in the game.

Xenogears really surprised me. I rented it when I took a break while in college. I was skeptical of mechs and a futuristic sci-fi storyline. I hated those. I was more a medieval, sword & sorcery type of gamer. But hey, I had to try something new. But you know, it was the BEST RPG right next to Final Fantasy VI (my favorite RPG). After beating the game, I went out and bought 3 brand new copies of Xenogears. LOL. The storyline in that game is super EPIC! It really got your adrenaline pumping with just intense battle after the next. But there were moments where it calmed down with its supreme soundtrack, especially in towns. And then towards the end of the game (don't worry, no spoilers), I nearly fell out of my gaming chair how cool it was. The storyline is filled to the brim with religion, spirituality, and gods. If you're not into that stuff, don't worry, it's still a really good RPG. It's a total shame that the PS2 Xenosaga series was not even close to Xenogears.

And finally, Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete. I'm sure the Sega CD version was better than this one. But the PS1 version is what I played. This one is much more light-hearted (well, at least at the beginning to the middle) compared to Suikoden, Xenogears, and FF Tactics. But because of the light-hearted plot, I enjoyed it thoroughly with the beautiful sprites, music, and anime-style cut scenes. I always liked simple storylines with clear cut heroes and villains from the beginning. This is why Lunar is a better game than Final Fantasy VII could ever be if you're strictly speaking of the storyline. FF VII's plot was a confusing mess as well. It felt like 10 writers were on staff trying to write the same story. Although, I enjoyed Lunar's music better than FF VII. FF VIII's and IX's music are comparable to Lunar in my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
01-31-2015, 06:59 PM
For the record Xenogears would be in my next couple of spots, epic game!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top 10 topic #20: Most Underrated RPGs of the Retro Era (1985-1999) JCE3000GT 6 150 09-03-2017 04:45 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Top 50 topic #19: Game Soundtracks JCE3000GT 2 200 05-10-2017 10:17 AM
  Top 10 topic #18: Action shooter / 3rd person shooter JCE3000GT 7 775 10-26-2016 07:32 PM
  Top 10 topic #17: FPS (first person shooters) JCE3000GT 2 486 05-08-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: Lotex
  Top 10 topic #16: PC JCE3000GT 11 1,371 04-08-2016 09:53 AM
  Top 10 topic: #15 -- Microsoft XBOX 360 JCE3000GT 6 1,235 01-02-2016 11:56 AM
  Top 10 topic: #16 -- Your favorite consoles! JCE3000GT 5 1,286 09-22-2015 05:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #14 -- Sony PSP JCE3000GT 1 641 07-17-2015 06:09 PM
Last Post: ctophil
  Top 10 topic: #13 -- Microsoft XBOX JCE3000GT 6 1,603 06-19-2015 08:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #12 -- Super Famicom / Super Nintendo JCE3000GT 2 905 02-10-2015 10:54 AM
  Top 5 topic: #10 -- Sega Master System JCE3000GT 0 517 01-02-2015 11:50 AM
  Top 5 topic: #9 -- Nintendo GameCube JCE3000GT 10 3,279 12-06-2014 09:02 PM