Online tech support... LOL "Support"
12-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Online tech support... LOL "Support"
Has anyone else encountered something like this before when using an online "chat" or "tech support"? I routinely try to use these online chat features primarily because I don't like waiting on the phone in queue. LOL Most of the time the service is adequate and I usually get what I need. But this time I felt like I almost helped myself. It would be completely humorous if I didn't think there might be a technical issue with my TV.

Visitor = Me
Brayden = Agent

Quote:Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Brayden'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK11256027XXXXXX
Brayden: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?
Visitor: I've got a Samsung LED Smart TV that I bought in Sept and I'm trying to enable Game Mode in the menu but it is greyed out not letting me turn it on. Ideas?
Visitor: Model number: UN46EH5300FXZA
Visitor: I'm using an HDMI cable from my TV and XBOX 360 both.
Brayden: I understand that you are trying to enable game mode on your TV.
Visitor: I've also got a PC connected via HDMI as well that won't let me enable game mode.
Brayden: To enable game mode on the TV a game system should be connected to the TV.
Visitor: I do have a game system connected via HDMI as I mentioned earlier. I also have a PC connected with HDMI.
Brayden: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Visitor: Ok, thanks.
Brayden: Once the game system like PS3 or Xbox connected to the TV and selected the source and when you go to Menu >>System>> general >> game mode >>enable
Visitor: That's where the problem is. I know where to go to enable it, the option is greyed out and not able to be enabled.
Brayden: Is even greyed out when the Xbox is connected?
Visitor: Yes.
Brayden: Try using another HDMI port for the Xbox
Visitor: I've swapped the cables to all 3 available ports and they all have the same result.
Brayden: Try connecting any other gaming device and check it
Visitor: Well I only have an XBOX 360 and PC that are capable of using HDMI. Does the HDMI cable itself have to be a specific type?
Brayden: It has to be HDMI 1.4 or more version
Visitor: Ok, I will go buy new cables and try again. Thank you, have a good evening.
Brayden: You are welcome, Thank you for understanding.
Brayden: I just wanted to make you aware of some really good support pages that are available to our customers.
Samsung SPOT (Smart Personal Online Training) offers real-time Samsung support with a product expert through live video chat. visit us at Samsung SPOT Our hours of operation(currently) are: Monday to Friday / 10am to 7pm EDT.
If you are looking for more details on the functionality of a product or would like to find answers to some of the questions, visit us at SamsungSimulator for an interactive review of some of our Samsung products.
Brayden: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Visitor: No, that's it.
Brayden: Thank you have a great evening
Brayden: Thanks for chatting with Samsung Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive the transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better.
Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2014, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2014 01:04 AM by ctophil.)
RE: Online tech support... LOL "Support"
Tech support and most customer service reps rely on scripts. So, they have to go through all the troubleshooting step-by-step regardless what you ask them. A lot of times they sound like robots. I did tech/customer support for many years. I usually don't do my scripts and got yelled at. LOL. I come up with my own stuff. But hey, I got it fixed. They still didn't like it though.

Anyway, I don't really think it's your HDMI cable. I found a FAQ on Samsung's web site concerning the game mode. According to the FAQ, some model TVs don't support Game Mode via HDMI nor DVI. It does work on the rest of the connections, such as A/V, Component, etc.

Read it for yourself below. The text below was pasted from your model TV FAQ: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners...EH5300FXZA

"LED TV: What Does Game Mode Do?

Game Mode is available on all current Samsung TVs. When you set a video source (input) to Game mode, your TV electronically bypasses two of the video signal processors in the TV, subsequently cutting down the amount of time the TV needs to process the video input from your game. You may notice a slight difference in the picture, but after you implement Game mode there should be reduction of any lag between the game system and the TV.

Important: Depending on your TV, Game mode might not be available for all input sources.

For example: If you have an HL-S5078, 5678, 6178, or 7178, Game mode is available for AV1, AV2, AV3, S-Video1, S-Video2, S-Video3, Component1 and Component2, but not HDMI or DVI. To find out which sources Game mode is available for on your TV, see your users manual. Look for a section titled Using Game Mode. If you set your TV to a source for which Game mode is not available, Game mode will be grayed-out on your TV's menu and inaccessible."
Find all posts by this user
12-26-2014, 01:27 AM
Now that's better tech support! LOL I did tech support for a few years myself and I didn't do the robot thing either.

My TV has 3 HDMI and 1 component input, that's it. So I guess my PS2 will be the only device that can use the game mode with its component connection. That sucks because platform, action, and fighting genre games need as little lag as possible.

12-27-2014, 05:02 PM
(12-26-2014 01:27 AM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Now that's better tech support! LOL I did tech support for a few years myself and I didn't do the robot thing either.

My TV has 3 HDMI and 1 component input, that's it. So I guess my PS2 will be the only device that can use the game mode with its component connection. That sucks because platform, action, and fighting genre games need as little lag as possible.

You could just buy a component system selector. I have one of those. You would just need to buy a Xbox 360 component cable and a VGA to Component cable for your PC. For audio, you can just output with a 3.5mm to RCA audio. You might have those lying around that came with your TV or sound systems.

VGA to Component cable: http://www.amazon.com/CommonByte-HDTV-Pr...t+pc+cable

3.5mm to RCA Audio Cable: http://www.amazon.com/Choseal-3-5mm-Audi...dio+to+rca

Xbox 360 Component cable: http://www.amazon.com/Importer520-Compon...slim+cable

Philips Component System Selector: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SWS2325W-1...+hd+switch

This is not the same model I have but I do have a Philips System Selector. Works great. They are hard to find these days.
12-27-2014, 05:43 PM
As it turns out the HDMI cable is the culprit on the game mode thing. The HDMI cable that came with my RetroN5 (granted it now no longer works) was able to get game mode enabled. Oddly, it was a v1.3 cable too. Odd.

I have a component video system selector, I'm thinking I need an HDMI selector too.

12-27-2014, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 06:10 PM by ctophil.)
That's good to hear. I've had problems with HDMI cables before as well. I have two cables that will work but will constantly flicker in and out (or go to a black screen until you do something), which is quite annoying. If you kinda push the cable into the device on the back, it'll get fixed for a little while. It's like the wire's signal is not strong enough to keep it going.

Be wary of the very cheap HDMI cables out there (the ones on Ebay), although one of my bad cables was from Wal-mart (still cheap though). Just go with the mid-range ones and you'll be fine.
12-27-2014, 06:34 PM
I've read Crmpl cables are good quality. I've ordered a couple of the mid grade ones with Ethernet throughput. :)

01-05-2015, 08:22 PM
So the cable that came with my RetroN5 already quit. So I tried my XBOX 360 HDMI cable and BOOM it allows game mode on my TV to be enabled.
That brings me to these two Crmpl HDMI cables I just bought, they do not allow game mode. WTF? How the hell can I tell what the hell HDMI cables will work? There isn't any distinction on the cable that does work to know what to look for.

Cables bought:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1275199048

01-06-2015, 02:11 AM
Probably good fortune, it's the same with old pc games. You can install an old game on a new machine with absolutely no problem and you can take another machine that's nearly (or even completely) identical and it will not work.
01-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Your Retron 5 HDMI cable is broke already? As for the Game mode thing, remember when I said I had two broken HDMI cables? Well, I plugged them onto a different HD TV, and they work perfectly without a single flicker. It seems each TV is designed differently, corresponding to specific HDMI cables.

I'd say if you have another TV somewhere in the house, switch them out for further testing. Now, I'm not sure if the brand names have anything to do with it. So, if you have two Samsung TVs, they might work the same way. The two TVs I used for testing were a Sony and an Insignia. The Insignia seemed to work well with cheaper HDMI cables ($2.00 - $3.00), while the Sony one prefers the more expensive ones ($10.00 +). Insignia, of course, is a cheap Best Buy brand. So, a well-known brand like Samsung probably wants at least the mid-grade cables. I hope this will help what cables work for you.
01-06-2015, 04:30 PM
I don't have another TV to use to experiment with. I will just keep buying until I find one that works with each of my systems/cable. :)