The Protests Controversy
12-06-2014, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 07:34 PM by ctophil.)
The Protests Controversy
The recent protests in New York City and Ferguson regarding the deaths of Garner and Brown, respectively, have been all over the news. It's mostly about white policmen killing black men because they were resisting arrest.

If you are not familiar with the stories, Eric Garner was selling cigarettes in the streets illegally because he was not taxing people. But the big problem was that Garner resisted arrest and the cops had to fight him. Eventually, a cop put him into a chokehold on the ground and killed him because he kept struggling with the policeman.

The Michael Brown story was that he stole some cigarettes from a convenience store. The store owner called the cops. When Brown walked out with his friend, a nearby cop heard the alert from headquarters and stopped Brown due to suspicion but didn't really know Brown was the suspect just yet. But the cop finally saw the cigarettes in his hand and tried to arrest him. The cop told him to put his hands up. Brown did put up his hands but got into a "bum rush" position with his head looking towards the ground and then ran towards the cop. The cop shot Brown in the head because that was what was running towards him, which instantly killed Brown.

The reason why people are now protesting across America, not just in NYC and Ferguson is because the Grand Jury did not indict the policemen, meaning they came out of court clean. People are blaming cops for being prejudice and killing black men. I see it as the cops doing their job. But these men obviously resisted arrest and had to defend themselves. What would you do in these situations if you were a cop?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 09:06 PM
RE: The Protests Controversy
I see your topic but I'm going to refrain from answering so I don't alienate anyone who may not like my position.

I will say this to anyone who replies in this thread, keep it clean because the second I see anything derogatory or inflammatory I will shut this down. Please respect your fellow member. Grin

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Of course they're doing their job, it's not that I can't understand where this argument is coming from, but tell me one thing: If someone's looking down at the floor and is rushing towards you, why is it neccessary to aim for the head? It's not like he's flying towards you like a rocket, he still has to run somehow, so why didn't he aim for his legs or somewhere else?
Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with guns because I've never hold one in my life, but cops are professionals, they should be able to do better than a simple headshot and as far I can tell from your story the guy wasn't armed.

Or another thing and I'm not familiar with the names, maybe it's the other case you referred to: I read something about 11, again in a word, ELEVEN shots that were fired which means he probably had to reload once and again once more, they're professionals, they're used to holding and firing a gun - why aren't they able to stop a suspect without killing him/her?

After my text again it sounds a little aggressive, but I can assure you it's not meant like that, so please don't take it that way - I'm just trying to understand why it came to this.
12-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Well, I do want to state that it is not right to kill anybody. However, in some situations as these, the cops don't really have a choice. In the case of Michael Brown, there were too many instances of him trying to "bum rush" the cop and trying to attack him. You can read and watch videos on that case below. The cop did try to shoot several times. During fights as these, the speed of things can surely hit him in the head if it's sticking out like a sore thumb during a bum rush. You have to understand during these altercations, the adrenaline rush can cause a person to keep going, especially with big guys like Michael Brown and Eric Garner, even when they were injured.

Eric Garner had 3 previous cases of selling untaxed cigarettes. It was not his first encounter with the police. He also was asthmatic and overweight. These things contributed to his death. Please remember that he died later on in the hospital, not during the chokehold struggles.

These things do happen a lot throughout the country, regarding illegal thefts and crime. And it also involves people of all races. So, I don't believe it is exclusive to African-American men only. Remember that resisting arrest is a crime, regardless of what the person did. Once you are arrested, you can clear the case with a lawyer or judgment through a court system. But resisting arrest alone can get you some jail time.

Eric Garner - NYC Case

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/stat...-1.1871486

Michael Brown - Ferguson Case

http://www.brennerbrief.com/witness-mich...ushed-cop/