Top 5 topic: #9 -- Nintendo GameCube
12-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Top 5 topic: #9 -- Nintendo GameCube
#9 in the top 5 series! This time it's the Nintendo GameCube.

-----------------

My top 5 in no particular order.

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Zelda: Four Swords
3. PC Genjin
4. Capcom vs SNK 2
5. Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

The Third Age was best on GameCube and the XBOX versus the PlayStation 2. And PC Genjin is a Bonk's Adventure remake and it is a good one.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 03:14 PM by ctophil.)
RE: Top 5 topic: #9 -- Nintendo GameCube
Ah yes, the Nintendo Gamecube. By the time this system launched, my interest in Nintendo systems were waning pretty badly. Sony's Playstation 1 & 2 were my primary consoles at the time. Xbox was last in my choice consoles. Despite that fact, I still bought the Gamecube just to collect them all. Here are my Top 5 List for the system.

1. Beyond Good & Evil
2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
3. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
4. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
5. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Beyond Good & Evil really surprised me. I popped the game in one day at my store and was instantly hooked with it's unique action, stealth, characters, and humor. Also, I was a big fan of the Prince of Persia games, and anything Ubisoft made was an instant hit for me at the time.

If you liked survival horror, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem messed with your head more than Silent Hill did. Gamecube was the only system that had the game.

I didn't know about PC Genjin. I might have to pick up that title sometime. What improvements did they put in for the remake?
Find all posts by this user
12-04-2014, 08:38 PM
(12-04-2014 03:09 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Ah yes, the Nintendo Gamecube. By the time this system launched, my interest in Nintendo systems were waning pretty badly. Sony's Playstation 1 & 2 were my primary consoles at the time. Xbox was last in my choice consoles. Despite that fact, I still bought the Gamecube just to collect them all. Here are my Top 5 List for the system.

1. Beyond Good & Evil
2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
3. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
4. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
5. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Beyond Good & Evil really surprised me. I popped the game in one day at my store and was instantly hooked with it's unique action, stealth, characters, and humor. Also, I was a big fan of the Prince of Persia games, and anything Ubisoft made was an instant hit for me at the time.

If you liked survival horror, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem messed with your head more than Silent Hill did. Gamecube was the only system that had the game.

I didn't know about PC Genjin. I might have to pick up that title sometime. What improvements did they put in for the remake?

Isn't Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2? And do I have that game? LOL

On to my favorite subject, PC Genjin. I actually just learned this game was also released on the PS2--and I MUST own that. Grin Anyway, here's a Youtube video and a couple pics of the remake to get an idea. This is the only video I could find without someone doing commentary over the audio. I know you've most likely played the PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 original so no need to get a video of that. This is by far one of the best remakes of a vintage game I've played.

[Image: gfs_48296_2_10.jpg][Image: gfs_48296_2_3.jpg]

[Image: gfs_48296_2_6.jpg][Image: gfs_48296_2_9.jpg]

12-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Beyond Good & Evil was also released on PS2 and Xbox. I happened to play and beat the Gamecube version instead. Otherwise, it would of been on my Top 5 PS2 games. :-) Also, Resident Evil 4 would of been on my Gamecube Top 5, but I played the PS2 version instead. LOL. I have the Gamecube demo that came with Japanese Magazine, Famitsu though. I just had to play it before it came over here.

That's pretty sweet with PC Genjin. I'll definitely pick up the Gamecube version, since it's easier to play imports on it. Thanks for the heads up on the remake.
12-05-2014, 02:04 PM
I think playing RE4 and LotR: Third Age was better on the GameCube vs PS2 myself.

As for PC Genjin, I still have my Freeloader for the GameCube along with my PC Genjin game import (in near mint condition) just no GC to play them on. Sad I have an AR Max for the PS2 which I believe also allows NTSC imports to be played so I really need to get my hands on a copy. PC Genjin aka Bonk's Adventure is my #1 favorite platform game ever. Granted it just edges out Super Mario World but not by much. Between Bonk's Adventure and Final Lap Twin my sadness for not having a playable TG16 console with the Turbo Booster is pretty sad. Sad One day I will find either a Turbo Duo or more importantly Pioneer Laser Active with all four plug-in components. <-- That last bit will probably be put on a credit card AND will need you to repair any issues.

12-05-2014, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 04:57 PM by ctophil.)
Just to clarify things, the Action Replay Max does not allow you to play import PS2 games. It only allows you to play import DVD movies encoded in other regions. It will also allow you to play emulators and roms from a burnt CD or DVD, or if you get the newest version, you can play from the USB stick. We actually talked about this before in one of your threads.

The only way you can play import games on the PS2 is either a full modchip or Swap Magic. With Swap Magic, you still have to at least take the PS2's faceplate off to use a sliding tool to move the DVD tray back & forth. Another way is to install a flip top cover for a fat model PS2. With the PS2 slim system, you have to install plastic pieces to the DVD Drive, but you don't have to modify anything. This is to swap the provided Swap Magic disc as the bootup disc with the actual game. You trick the PS2 in thinking that you never removed the disc in the first place. I would buy a cheap PS2 Slim Unit to experiment with Swap Magic. Knowing you, it's better off if you don't touch your original PS2--leave it for domestic games.

Nintendo did not make the Gamecube as complicated. Therefore, a simple disc swap with the Freeloader is all that is necessary.

I agree that Bonk's Adventure is a very good platformer, but still pales in comparison to the Mario series. I've been playing Super Mario 3D World, and it brings back so many memories with Super Mario World. Nintendo did a LOT of fan service with the new game.
12-05-2014, 05:23 PM
(12-05-2014 04:48 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Just to clarify things, the Action Replay Max does not allow you to play import PS2 games. It only allows you to play import DVD movies encoded in other regions. It will also allow you to play emulators and roms from a burnt CD or DVD, or if you get the newest version, you can play from the USB stick. We actually talked about this before in one of your threads.

Forgive my short memory. That and I'm actually at work so I'm multi-tasking. :)

Quote:The only way you can play import games on the PS2 is either a full modchip or Swap Magic. With Swap Magic, you still have to at least take the PS2's faceplate off to use a sliding tool to move the DVD tray back & forth. Another way is to install a flip top cover for a fat model PS2. With the PS2 slim system, you have to install plastic pieces to the DVD Drive, but you don't have to modify anything. This is to swap the provided Swap Magic disc as the bootup disc with the actual game. You trick the PS2 in thinking that you never removed the disc in the first place. I would buy a cheap PS2 Slim Unit to experiment with Swap Magic. Knowing you, it's better off if you don't touch your original PS2--leave it for domestic games.

I do remember the conversation now that I've read this ^. What I don't remember is if I asked if you know how to mod a PS2 (preferably Slim as you suggest for the swap magic) and if so what you would charge if I mailed one out to you and paid for the return shipping?

Quote:Nintendo did not make the Gamecube as complicated. Therefore, a simple disc swap with the Freeloader is all that is necessary.

Agreed with the above statement. This is how I was able to play both my import of PC Genjin and my previously owned "Zelda no Densetsu 4tsu no Tsurugi +" import. I love my Freeloader. Grin

Quote:I agree that Bonk's Adventure is a very good platformer, but still pales in comparison to the Mario series. I've been playing Super Mario 3D World, and it brings back so many memories with Super Mario World. Nintendo did a LOT of fan service with the new game.

I guess after playing so many platformers--specifically Mario games all these years--I still seem to find more enjoyment from playing Bonk. Especially Bonk's Adventure. Plus, I love the music in Bonk and the fact that it is pretty unique compared to your average Mario. I'm not really a 3D platformer sort of gamer and having Mario 64 be not enjoyable to me at all I just don't have the desire to play any more 3D Mario games. This actually extends out to most 3D platform games. I'll have to think long and hard for one that I like. ;)

12-05-2014, 08:21 PM
I've done modding to play imports/backups for PS1, PS2, PS3, Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360. So no problem there. A PS2 Slim system costs about $50.00 + Swap Magic $30.00 + Labor $20.00 + Shipping $10.00. So, my estimate would be $110 - $120 if I provide the PS2 Slim for you. This saves you time and money. But if you rather buy the PS2 Slim yourself, you can just do the $60 for everything else. I will install a different top for the PS2 Slim that is compatible with the Swap Magic. This will allow you to just swap out the game like the Gamecube Freeloader without any additional messing around.
12-05-2014, 09:07 PM
That's not bad. Does the PS2 slim come in black or are they all silver? What if you don't mind me picking your brain for is the most common reasons a PS2 slim would need to be repaired? I'm thinking I could pick up a "broken" PS2 slim for next to nothing (same with a Saturn).

I'd love to get a good of several "broken" consoles that I would eventually pay you to fix if you're up for it. :) Any system you won't fix or stay away from?

12-06-2014, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 06:29 PM by ctophil.)
The PS2 comes in Black and Silver. The PS2 Slim is actually a more efficient system than the fat models. What that means is that it generates less heat, loads most games quicker, and much quieter. The only problem I had with those systems are the cheaper plastic outside and inside. The top lid where you load the game is easy to break. Just don't slam the lid down when inserting games and especially don't drop the system. It's much lighter than the fat PS2 models. So, it's easy to forget you're holding a system. lol. Customers yank the top lid up too far up or close it too fast, resulting in broken pieces in the mechanisms. Other than that, they are very small systems comparably to the fat models. So it saves a lot of space. They are just as reliable as the bigger models if not more so in some cases.

Electronics are pretty much the same inside, regardless of their size, shape, or where they came from. I don't like fixing portable systems due to their size. When they are that small, the components inside are microscopic. Hehe. So, they take more labor to do the same thing. But other than that, no I don't discriminate any console. I have ventured off to other electronics like stereo systems and DVD players as well. They are actually easier to fix than video game consoles, since they are less complex.
12-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Intetesting to hear about PS2 slims being as or more reliable vs the PS2 fat first release notwithstanding.

Looks like PS2 slims are cheap and even cheaper if there is an issue. I might pick one up in 2015. :)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top 10 topic #20: Most Underrated RPGs of the Retro Era (1985-1999) JCE3000GT 6 165 09-03-2017 04:45 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Top 50 topic #19: Game Soundtracks JCE3000GT 2 205 05-10-2017 10:17 AM
  Top 10 topic #18: Action shooter / 3rd person shooter JCE3000GT 7 780 10-26-2016 07:32 PM
  Top 10 topic #17: FPS (first person shooters) JCE3000GT 2 488 05-08-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: Lotex
  Top 10 topic #16: PC JCE3000GT 11 1,379 04-08-2016 09:53 AM
  Top 10 topic: #15 -- Microsoft XBOX 360 JCE3000GT 6 1,237 01-02-2016 11:56 AM
  Top 10 topic: #16 -- Your favorite consoles! JCE3000GT 5 1,290 09-22-2015 05:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #14 -- Sony PSP JCE3000GT 1 644 07-17-2015 06:09 PM
Last Post: ctophil
  Top 10 topic: #13 -- Microsoft XBOX JCE3000GT 6 1,608 06-19-2015 08:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #12 -- Super Famicom / Super Nintendo JCE3000GT 2 910 02-10-2015 10:54 AM
  Top 5 topic: #11 -- Sony PlayStation 1 JCE3000GT 4 1,012 01-31-2015 06:59 PM
  Top 5 topic: #10 -- Sega Master System JCE3000GT 0 520 01-02-2015 11:50 AM