Poll: What console(s) would you buy first?
Xbox One
Playstation 4
Wii U
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
New Consoles Poll
10-13-2014, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 03:36 PM by ctophil.)
New Consoles Poll
Hey everyone,

Well, it has been about a year since the Xbox One and PS4 came out. For the Wii U, it's been 2 years. I know you guys probably don't care about the new consoles too much until the prices go down, more games come out, etc. But based on what you know, can you vote on which console appeals to you the most?

Now remember that only the Wii U has actual backwards compatibility. It can play Wii games, but not Gamecube games like in the last generation.

As discussed before, Xbox One and PS4 don't have built-in backwards compatibility. Microsoft has cancelled their DRM policies 100% due to competition from Sony and Nintendo. They even took out the Kinect that was a pack-in with the original launch model. So now, the Xbox One is $400--even pricing with PS4. Originally, it was $500.

Games I'm looking forward to on the Xbox One.

1. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Prologue to Phantom Pain)
2. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain
3. Killer Instinct
4. Dead Rising 3
5. Fable Legends
6. Quantum Break

Games I'm looking forward to on Playstation 4.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
2. Kingdom Hearts III
3. Final Fantasy XV
4. Final Fantasy Type-0
5. The Last of Us: Remastered
6. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
7. Mortal Kombat X

Games I'm looking forward to on Wii U

1. Super Mario 3D World
2. New Super Mario Bros. U
3. New Super Luigi U
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
5. Shovel Knight (great indie title that plays like an NES platformer)
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
7. Hyrule Warriors
8. The Legend of Zelda (new Zelda game for 2015)
9. NES Remix 1 & 2
10. Mighty No. 9 (spiritual successor to the Mega Man series)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles X
12. Yoshi's Wholly World
13. ZombiU

As you can see, my vote is for the Wii U due to the larger selection of games I would enjoy playing. Not only that, it's the cheapest system: $300 for the Black Wii U 32GB bundle that comes with New Super Mario Bros. U, Zelda Wind Waker, or Mario Kart 8, depending on the bundle. I'm sure they will have a Super Smash Bros. U bundle this holiday as well. Or you can still get the White Wii U 8GB for $200 - $250 on Ebay with no games bundled. Then, you can choose your own game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2014, 03:36 PM
RE: New Consoles Poll
I would probably buy the XBOX One first. I've got not only used to the XBOX-style controller layout I actually now prefer it, and on top of that I REALLY like the XBOX One controller. So much so I plan on getting one for my PC. Now, having said all of that I cannot stand the interface and the whole focus on being "your multimedia center" is not appealing in any way. I do not want to watch/control my cable TV through it and I certainly will not use it as a substitute media center computer.

While the PS4 is appealing and I don't think there is anything that turns me off of the hardware I would just prefer the XBOX. Though Sony as a company is stubborn and bull-headed.

I do not really have an interest in the Wii U. I just don't like the direction Nintendo is taking with it's console hardware and controller/accessory choices.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2014, 04:23 PM
(10-13-2014 03:36 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  I would probably buy the XBOX One first. I've got not only used to the XBOX-style controller layout I actually now prefer it, and on top of that I REALLY like the XBOX One controller. So much so I plan on getting one for my PC. Now, having said all of that I cannot stand the interface and the whole focus on being "your multimedia center" is not appealing in any way. I do not want to watch/control my cable TV through it and I certainly will not use it as a substitute media center computer.

While the PS4 is appealing and I don't think there is anything that turns me off of the hardware I would just prefer the XBOX. Though Sony as a company is stubborn and bull-headed.

I do not really have an interest in the Wii U. I just don't like the direction Nintendo is taking with it's console hardware and controller/accessory choices.

I do agree with your sentiments. I will most likely get the Xbox One right after the Wii U, since I need it for coop gaming. Microsoft did an excellent job with the online component of the Xbox 360, and it sounds like more of the same on Xbox One. I do frown upon the "Central Media Center" mentality. I CAN CARE LESS about watching TV or reading the news while I play video games. What's up with the multi-tasking deal these days? I like to do one thing at a time.

The PS4 online component is a lot better now. However, if you look at the PS3, its coop gaming was horrendous. For example, you can only voice chat with certain games (the technical term is No Cross Game Chat), while a majority of them had no voice chat or works terribly (static, hiccups, and such). This was due to the system design where the PS3 did not have dedicated RAM to voice chat, while the XBox 360 did.

Wii U's online network is still the worst out of the 3. But I'm looking to play single player only. The tablet-size game controller is actually quite comfortable and its display is bright & clear. I repaired a Wii U before so play testing was mandatory. :-) I don't have any gripes with the Wii U other than the fact that not too many third-party developers make games for it, mostly due to the inferior hardware. Developers can't port their next-gen titles to the system. They don't want to "downgrade the graphics" of their games. So they just give up altogether.
Find all posts by this user
10-13-2014, 05:08 PM
(10-13-2014 04:23 PM)ctophil Wrote:  
(10-13-2014 03:36 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  I would probably buy the XBOX One first. I've got not only used to the XBOX-style controller layout I actually now prefer it, and on top of that I REALLY like the XBOX One controller. So much so I plan on getting one for my PC. Now, having said all of that I cannot stand the interface and the whole focus on being "your multimedia center" is not appealing in any way. I do not want to watch/control my cable TV through it and I certainly will not use it as a substitute media center computer.

I do agree with your sentiments. I will most likely get the Xbox One right after the Wii U, since I need it for coop gaming. Microsoft did an excellent job with the online component of the Xbox 360, and it sounds like more of the same on Xbox One. I do frown upon the "Central Media Center" mentality. I CAN CARE LESS about watching TV or reading the news while I play video games. What's up with the multi-tasking deal these days? I like to do one thing at a time.

I agree with you on the above. I like the 360 interface and online component. Multitasking is getting out of control as is the concept of the "central media" component idea.

Quote:The PS4 online component is a lot better now. However, if you look at the PS3, its coop gaming was horrendous. For example, you can only voice chat with certain games (the technical term is No Cross Game Chat), while a majority of them had no voice chat or works terribly (static, hiccups, and such). This was due to the system design where the PS3 did not have dedicated RAM to voice chat, while the XBox 360 did.

I hadn't really had much experience with a PS3 or it's online capabilities. But I can tell you that the voice chat for the 360 is quite good. My buddy that has Destiny for his PS4 uses the voice chat feature and it's not as clear as the 360.

Quote:Wii U's online network is still the worst out of the 3. But I'm looking to play single player only. The tablet-size game controller is actually quite comfortable and its display is bright & clear. I repaired a Wii U before so play testing was mandatory. :-) I don't have any gripes with the Wii U other than the fact that not too many third-party developers make games for it, mostly due to the inferior hardware. Developers can't port their next-gen titles to the system. They don't want to "downgrade the graphics" of their games. So they just give up altogether.

The sad thing is I like the portable handheld controller for the Wii U when someone else is using your TV (wife?) but I don't like it as a primary controller for the console when actually using the TV.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top 10 topic: #16 -- Your favorite consoles! JCE3000GT 5 1,286 09-22-2015 05:21 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT