Attention native English speaking people, stop using decimate
09-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Attention native English speaking people, stop using decimate
Hey, native English speaking people listen up! STOP using the Roman/Latin term decimate (decimatio) incorrectly. I sound petty but seriously it annoys me that people use this term incorrectly.

News flash people, decimate means to take out / kill every tenth man. Not to completely destroy all.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2014, 08:42 PM
RE: Attention native English speaking people, stop using decimate
(09-25-2014 08:10 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Hey, native English speaking people listen up! STOP using the Roman/Latin term decimate (decimatio) incorrectly. I sound petty but seriously it annoys me that people use this term incorrectly.

News flash people, decimate means to take out / kill every tenth man. Not to completely destroy all.

Or it could mean destroy a large portion of something, such as the population, a forest, or a city. I never use it anyways. lol.

You would be surprised the large amount of vocabulary people misuse. And of course, high school graduates who could barely spell, much less use words properly.
Find all posts by this user
09-25-2014, 09:37 PM
The "modern" definition is to destroy a large portion of which in itself is wrong. LOL

09-26-2014, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2014 05:25 PM by ctophil.)
I looked it up in a Webster dictionary that I have, which was published in 1964. It has both definitions. 1. to take or destroy the tenth part of. 2. to destroy a large part of (Ex. a population by an epidemic).

So, you're right, but it also does contain the "destroy a large part of" as the secondary definition.
09-26-2014, 06:38 PM
By modern I meant after say 20th century? Grin

LOL

09-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Well, you said that the 'modern' definition of "destroy a large portion of" is wrong. So, I gave you a definition from the 1960s to prove that it's not a modern invention.

However, if people use 'decimate' as "destroyed everything," (as you mentioned in the OP) that is incorrect. It is only "destroy a large portion of."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  To all of you people that bought more than 2 Nuka Cola at Target ... JCE3000GT 12 1,826 01-02-2016 11:51 AM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Non-paying eBay people JCE3000GT 6 1,972 05-29-2014 05:07 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT