Thread Closed 
Well it is about that time
08-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Smile Well it is about that time
I thought this day would never come. I have been thinking about this for about a year... I think it is time I retire from game modifications and utility programming. It is a hard decision to come to but it is one that I have to make. I have various reasons for this decision but the primary ones tip the scales in that direction. Mostly I've lost the desire to do these things and with where my life is now I just don't have all of the time I feel is needed to dedicate to this. Whether it be working too much, doing the upkeep on our house, and with my wife and I talking about kids I just don't have the time any longer.

I feel very proud of what I have accomplished and contributed to the community so I will retire with a sense of pride. I helped pioneer Final Fantasy 4 and 6 game modification starting in 2000. I also helped make SPC modification for the Square games more mainstream with the launch of my SPC Editor and individual game documents starting in 2006/2007. But honestly the thing that makes me the most proud is the countless people that I have both introduced and mentored in this field. And some of those guys have paid it forward and mentored newcomers. Grin My only regret is not finishing about a half dozen projects that I spent so much time on. But, they are being archived so if I ever feel peckish I can still come back to them. :)

I may check in from time to time on where the game/ROM "hacking" community is at but my active days are over. I still will attempt to fix any bugs if I can on any project already publicly released but it may take longer than usual. This forum will remain open and I will be active on it everyday so please feel free to still post anything you like on this or other subjects outlined in each subforum.

Don't be strangers! Grin

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-19-2014, 10:51 AM
RE: Well it is about that time
Well I don't really know what to say right now. I only played your Mystic Quest mod to be honest and it was such a pain in the ass, but exactly what I was looking for because playing it with an emulator normally is just "fast forward for some battles, heal, repeat" but one wrong move with that mod is nearly a 100% instant death since every damn monster in this game is dangerous Grin

I guess we all know that even good terms come to an end at some point and I want to thank you for doing these thing for your community, it was really fun and I'll still visit this forum every now and than, probably on a daily basis to see what's new, even if I can't really participate in some topics like the car thread, I'm still curious how things are going for you.

It surprises me a little that you lost the desire for such things, but on the other hand it doesn't surprise me one bit that you need more time for other things, work can be very stressful and time consuming plus planning your future with your wife, becoming parents and such stuff is also very tough, planning ahead and raising them quickly becomes a full-time job. I wish you and your the wife the best of luck, maybe you can hold on to your past by naming your child Link or something Grin
Find all posts by this user
08-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks Lotex. :) You are always welcome here and feel free to participate in what ever topic interests you! Grin

08-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Will do, you have to ban me to get me out of this forum, there's always the possibility that you go back to the roots with another game Grin

Or you could hand the forum down to your offsprings Grin
08-19-2014, 03:45 PM
LOL

08-19-2014, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 05:28 PM by ctophil.)
Ah, the old man, JCE is getting ready for retirement. lol. I'm kidding. This reminds me of an old TV show, Leave it to Beaver. Ward Cleaver (Beaver's dad) worked with a guy named, Fred. They are good friends as well. But the funny thing is that Fred calls Ward, "Old Man," in every other sentence in the show. I just break out laughing every time he said that.

But anyways, I didn't know JCE was modding games until much later in his hobbyist career. So, I didn't get involved in play testing, maybe helping him out, etc. Because I like that stuff as well. I took Computer Science as my initial Major in college back in the day just to make video games. So you better believe I would jump all over modding. But similar to JCE, I have other priorities in my life (such as advanced spiritual studies) that modding or even making games can be time consuming.

As long as JCE has this forum, I'm going to continue being an active member. :-) I own JCE's Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest mod in cartridge form. It's one of my treasures in my collection and will be for the rest of my life.

I look forward to seeing more pictures and updated info. of your family growing, JCE. Perhaps your kids will continue your modding hobby in the next generation. Make sure you ask them once they are engrossed in video games. If you don't, I will, that is if you promote me to Uncle Phil. LOL.
08-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Heh thanks Phil for those kind words. Though I'm sure by the time any children get old enough to learn hex / assembly the last thing they would want to see is a 30+ year old game. LOL

08-20-2014, 11:01 AM
It's all about the setting, if you show them how great they are they might be able to love the classics like you do.

One of my favorite movies is Nightmare on Elm Street and this movie is 30 years old, so why should it be different with games?
08-20-2014, 12:59 PM
True. My wife and I will try and introduce NES, Genesis, and SNES to our young ones. :)

10-23-2014, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2014 10:04 AM by Jarlaxle.)
Probably a good thing; if you made any more editors for games I like, it would provide further massive distractions from getting cracking on my one-novel-a-year writing plans. >_> I'll at least get around to fine-tuning my Lufia efforts ASAP. My only gaming-distractions at the moment are Fire Emblem 3 and the recently fan-translated remakes of Megami Tensei I+II. But they're pretty distracting. Grin
10-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Hah, game editors aren't as involved as doing a full scale rom hack I think. I would love to find that last bit of data for Lufia we mentioned. And I would like to finish the monster lair editor for Soul Blazer. Just don't have time right now. Sad

01-13-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm not coming out of retirement but I am working on two projects, one you know and one you do not know. I'm hoping to find some support for either so I'll keep you all posted.

05-19-2017, 11:18 AM
I've come out of retirement officially but only to finish 2 maybe 3 projects. I'll see how I feel and how much time I have to devote to mods before deciding it this is permanent.

Thread Closed