Final Fantasy Series
03-13-2017, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 01:35 PM by xlom3000.)
RE: Final Fantasy Series
I managed to buy the print this weekend at PAX East. The guy was selling them at a discount for the con, 30 dollars per panel. not bad considering on the website it's 120 for the full 3 panel set.

I wanted this one too, but he didn't bring it to the con.

[Image: tumblr_o3hazxEs9n1rtd4n3o1_1280.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2017, 02:11 PM
That's really awesome. I bet that would look great in a frame.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-27-2017, 07:52 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/co...p_numbers/

Fun bit of ff4 trivia

Quote:In FFIV (and its sequel game), the set/starting Hit Points of Golbez is 2943 and 2971 respectively. While they seem like any HP numbers given to a short-appearing character (in the case of the original), it actually has significance in Japanese number wordplay if read as individual numbers:
2943 = Ni-ku-shi-mi (憎しみ), meaning "hate", or "hatred".
2971 = Tsu-gu-na-i (償い), meaning "atonement" or "amends".
03-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Wow, now that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I love Final Fantasy 4.

08-09-2017, 01:36 AM
I really want to play through ff5 on my crt now that I can. Not sure which version is best. I'm probably looking at either SNES or PSX as the GBA version won't take up the full screen. Are there any psx mods that make the translation of that one better? Which is the best SNES hack if I should go that route?
08-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Honestly the translated SNES ROM is likely your best bet. The RPGe translation is pretty good for giving you an understanding of the story.

Avoid the GBA, graphics and sound are washed out. The PSX is slow but ok I suppose. Nothing's better than the original though. ;)

08-13-2017, 11:30 AM
FFI

I only played the PS1 and GBA releases. Pretty fun, very simple. Never beat them though.

Modding potential is good due mostly to its simplicity, but I'm better off making my own. Would be a neat little exercise. Getting the battle, menu, and field/world modules to work and implementing a very intelligent AI are the only challenges.

FFII

Same as FFI, but I spent a lot more time on this game. Most of that time was spent cheesing to get absurdly high stats, but still - it was fun. Never beat it. It was made by the same guy responsible for all of the SaGa games, which explains the mechanics.

More modding/remake potential than FFII, but requires careful balancing, and the characters should be differentiated more.

FFIII

Never played it.

FFIV

Played it on the PS1 and GBA, didn't get more than 1/3 of the way through. It just want interesting to me. If a game lacks customization I don't play it.

FFV

Played it on the PS1 and GBA, beat it on both. It was fun, I loved the class system.

Modding/remake potential is very good. A remake could be built on the same engine as previous ones, but with different sub-modules for a class system.

FFVI

Played it on SNES, PS1, and GBA. It was my third JRPG, after Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Hugely fun, the Magicite system was great, and I enjoyed the story (though I'm too old to care about the story now). Definitely one of the best Final Fantasy games.

Modding/remake potential is sort of vexing because too many characters are the same, and the magicite system is too grindy. I'd rather turn magicite into a pseudo-class system, where each crystal is themed but you can't learn any spells from them. Maybe allow people to equip 2 of them for more spells. This makes Terra, Celes, and Gogo much more powerful.

I would also change the leveling system so that all character experience natural growth, but magicite alters that growth instead of giving you bonuses.

If you want a more SaGa feel, make each crystal reduce some stats and increase others up to a limit, and remove levels entirely. You can still gain experience and gain a level, but the level itself is never tracked. Thus if you equip a certain magicite crystal for too long, you will adapt to it - an offensive mage crystal will increase your intelligence and reduce your strength. But if you implement that system you need to differentiate between characters and make non-magical abilities more useful so characters have a reason not to use them, and such a character should be viable.

I would make each town larger and make them feel more like actual towns or villages. Have each one surrounded by fields, orchards, and farms, have more buildings, more NPCs, and more minor sidequests. This applies to almost all Final Fantasy games, but it's particularly bad in the early ones - FFI to FF8.

FFVII

Bought it when it first came out. It blew my mind. I've played it to death though and I can't play it anymore, it's not interesting and very repetitive. In retrospect its difficulty comes from ignorance of game mechanics rather than challenge. The story was good but Square Enix ruined it with the expanded universe stuff and cameos in other games (but not FFT).

The first FF game where controls matter, and it shows. They can be clunky.

Modding potential is greater than remake potential due to the effort involved, but it needs better tools. The tools should operate only on a disc image and allow you to do anything - all the complexity should be hidden from the user.

That said, it would be tough to rebalance this game without a lot of assembly language hacks. Level shouldn't be a factor in almost any formula, only stats and equipment.

The AI is extremely dumb, there's too much grinding. It's all a pain in the ass.

There's not a lot to do in this game. The side-quests and mini-games need a big overhaul - they're fun the first few times, but they lack replay value. There should be a sidequest available at every step of the game to compensate for the lack of freedom for most of the game. This applies to almost all the final fantasy games, not just this one. Needs more character development too, and a romance system for the Gold Saucer date.

Most of the towns are empty - I'd put more people and buildings in them. Star Ocean is a decent example of a game that tries to do this.

Stories that I'd pursue in a mod would be what happens in the Wutai war, early Shinra before and during Sephiroth's life, pre-Shinra history, and the first cataclysm when Jenova hit the planet.

FFVIII

Played it, enjoyed it, but it's really hard to get into these days. The story was engaging when I was a kid, but I don't care either way now.

Much better controls, but still kinda clunky in places.

There aren't many mini-games. The card game is fun but I wish the rules were less insane and the game had more depth.

Modding potential is decent because it's not too unbalanced. I'd remove the stat-up abilities, allow PCs up to 5 or 6 ability slots, rebalance the magic system so all spells are useful for the entire game, rebalance GF abilities for the same, remove level from all formulas, rebalance the player stats so they're slightly higher and characters are more differentiated, and increase the upper limit on how much magic you can draw in battle to 100 (because drawing magic sucks ass).

The AI is very dumb, and enemy design is pretty boring.

The towns aren't very full.

Remake potential is nil due to amount of work.

FFIX

Fun game. Liked the story, the characters, the setting. Art style and music is maximum over-comfy. I beat it and played through it.

Very good controls.

Already fairly balanced. Some of the sidequests are almost impossible though - impressing 100 nobles and getting the Excalibur II.

Modding potential is good in theory but what I would do probably isn't possible. I would want new classes/characters, specifically a red mage, a geomancer, and an archer. The existing characters are too much alike in regards to stats and equipment. I'd remove the limited stat gain stuff and differentiate the characters more. The abilities need some rebalancing. Equipment is tiered but it teaches abilities: I can kinda get it, but it can be grindy. It's probably not possible to make all equipment useful for the duration of the game.

My only complaint about the story progression is that there aren't enough sidequests at every stage of the game. The minigames are either great or awful. I'd like more character development too.

FFX

Never played it.

FFXI

Never played it.

Final Fantasy XII

Vaan and Penelo annoy me so much that I can't watch any FMVs. They ruin the game. Being stuck in training mode for 5+ hours is lame. The AI can be dumb as hell.

For those not in the know, FFXII was originally made by the same guy who made Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, FFT, and Vagrant Story. Half-way through development they dumped him and brought in the SaGa guy, and it shows. Not in a good way.

The controls are very smooth but I wish you had more options. I want to switch the reverse x and y axis for the D-pad, a first person view, and the ability to stop and look around at the surroundings (which are often pretty).

Modding potential is very difficult because it's a disc image game and IIRC every file is compressed.

That said you could make the game much better by opening up more areas in the beginning of the game. I dislike the MMO feel without MMO freedom.

If I could do anything I'd work with a team to remove Vaan, Penelo, and everything annoying from the game. I don't know if anything of the original story exist in the game (God I hope it does), but it if does I'd implement it.

Other than that my standard complaints apply: remove level from all formulas, make differentiate characters more, make equipment more useful for as along as possible, make all abilities useful.

I don't remember if FFXII has minigames.

The towns are pretty big but there isn't a lot to do. The NPC interactions are shallow. Needs more stuff to do.

FFXIII and above

Never played it.

FFT

Played the shit out of it. Pretty good story, just needs polishing and a slightly better translation. Everything about it is fun, even the lop-sided class design. The best FF game.

Modding potential is the greatest of all FF games. I'm actually laying the groundwork for a mod that I'll probably finish within 2 years.

Needs more sidequests at all stages of the game. It could always use more character development too.

FFTA

Nowhere near as good as the original. Story is original.

Modding potential is good, but it needs rebalancing to be fun to play. I don't like being required to have a party member of every race to complete all the quests, and I really don't like being forced to use Monteblanc. The laws are ham-fisted largely because the punishment is so severe and you often don't have anyone you can use in a battle, and the rewards are nearly useless. Permanent stat reductions are awful. The combos seem tacked on and entirely one-sided since the enemy doesn't use them - it's a way to make up for the fake difficultly from crappy design.

I'd change the laws so you get debuffed if you break them, and buffed if you follow them. I'd also include an option to bribe a judge for a lot of gil to remove a law for a battle.

The jobs need rebalancing, as do all the races.

FFMQ

Even simpler than the original FF. Story is standard JRPG fare.

I'm not sure what the modding potential is because I never thought to mod it. I imagine that the tools to do so exist or are very easy for even a novice programmer to make.

There isn't a lot you can do. Your only offensive options in battle are attacking or using magic. The AI isn't smart and probably can't be. The battles are repetitive grind-fests. There can't be any choice in equipment.

MQ would probably be decent fun on a game boy if you're stuck in a car for 2 hours.
08-13-2017, 11:50 AM
(08-13-2017 11:30 AM)MysticLord Wrote:  FFMQ

Even simpler than the original FF. Story is standard JRPG fare.

I'm not sure what the modding potential is because I never thought to mod it. I imagine that the tools to do so exist or are very easy for even a novice programmer to make.

You mean like this?

http://jce3000gt.com/mqme.php

08-14-2017, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2017 10:18 PM by MysticLord.)
[Image: 8Yeh5LV.gif]

On topic, have you done anything with image, scripting, and field editing?
08-15-2017, 05:00 PM
(08-14-2017 10:17 PM)MysticLord Wrote:  [Image: 8Yeh5LV.gif]

On topic, have you done anything with image, scripting, and field editing?

Haven't found the overworld or area map data yet. Nor have I attempted the graphics since I suck at dealing with compression. I had the script days found but lost the offset when I accident like deleted what I thought was an old file. Whoops...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Final Fantasy XII collection journey JCE3000GT 28 6,215 10-27-2017 04:28 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  I need help locating Final Fantasy XII PS2 (Korea/Hong Kong/Singapore) JCE3000GT 6 218 10-16-2017 09:00 AM
  The Saga Series ctophil 26 8,780 08-21-2017 03:39 PM
  [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age JCE3000GT 6 484 07-11-2017 09:42 PM
  The Seiken Densetsu / Mana series JCE3000GT 2 397 06-07-2017 08:44 PM
  Orchestral Fantasy xlom3000 15 1,879 05-14-2017 09:47 AM
  Borderlands series thread JCE3000GT 15 4,297 03-03-2017 06:36 PM
Information Revamped Final Fantasy Legend Box Art ttruelove 18 3,402 05-27-2016 10:58 AM
Last Post: Lotex
  Death of the Fable Series ctophil 1 622 03-08-2016 07:49 PM
Last Post: xlom3000
  Final Fantasy Type-0 and XV ctophil 6 3,135 02-19-2016 06:00 PM
  Final Fantasy Type-0 HD -- XBOX One JCE3000GT 13 2,714 02-19-2016 12:27 PM
  Final Fantasy Record Keeper for mobiles Lotex 4 1,583 06-03-2015 06:42 PM
Last Post: Lotex