Top 5 topic: #4 -- Nintendo Famicom / NES
08-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Top 5 topic: #4 -- Nintendo Famicom / NES
Nintendo Famicom & NES

Let's discuss.

---------------------------

My top 5 NES games in no particular order.

1. Final Fantasy
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Dragon Power
4. Duck Hunt
5. Mike Tyson's Punch Out

So many games...so little spaces to put them!

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 02:02 PM
RE: Weekly Top 5 topic: Week 4 -- Famicom / NES
Oh yes, my first game system in 1988. I got my mom to buy this system for me. I actually wanted the Atari 7800 (although I only knew it as Atari). My mom said "You should get the newer system, Nintendo." I agreed to that. So we went to Sam Solomon (later on was called Service Merchandise), and they said it was on backorder. Uhhh, more waiting. So it took 2 months for it to arrive. The phone call came one day, and I was super excited.

It was the core system, which didn't come with a game. So, we bought Rygar as the first game. It took me an hour to hook the system up. Not very smart kid, eh? Hehe. The only exposure I had to video games was when I played Atari 2600 at a friend's house. I stunk at even Frogger and Pac-man.

Anyways, after hooking up the system, I popped in Rygar. I didn't know what in the world I was doing. I kept pressing the 'A' button. So he kept jumping. My mom was excited so she watched. It was stupid to see the on-screen character bounced around as I pressed the 'A' button over and over for 10 minutes. lol. She said, "I paid $150 to watch a guy jump around?" Of course, I did learn to use the 'B' button too.

Well, I hope you guys didn't fall asleep too bad with the above story. But I'm just trying to show one of my first experiences with gaming.

Here is my Top 5 for the NES.

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Castlevania
3. Ninja Gaiden
4. Double Dragon II
5. Rygar

It's probably surprising that I don't have Final Fantasy in the Top 5. I didn't get into RPGs until like 1991. I actually scolded my friends for liking RPGs where you have to pick commands just to attack somebody. "Slow and boring," I said. My first RPG was Dragon Warrior, which was pretty cool. But I still didn't enjoy it as much. I needed some action. I did rent Final Fantasy later on. However, it was still an acquired taste.

I did beat Final Fantasy eventually on the PS One version called Final Fantasy Origins.
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2014, 02:32 PM
(08-08-2014 02:02 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Oh yes, my first game system in 1988. I got my mom to buy this system for me. I actually wanted the Atari 7800 (although I only knew it as Atari). My mom said "You should get the newer system, Nintendo." I agreed to that. So we went to Sam Solomon (later on was called Service Merchandise), and they said it was on backorder. Uhhh, more waiting. So it took 2 months for it to arrive. The phone call came one day, and I was super excited.

It was the core system, which didn't come with a game. So, we bought Rygar as the first game. It took me an hour to hook the system up. Not very smart kid, eh? Hehe. The only exposure I had to video games was when I played Atari 2600 at a friend's house. I stunk at even Frogger and Pac-man.

Anyways, after hooking up the system, I popped in Rygar. I didn't know what in the world I was doing. I kept pressing the 'A' button. So he kept jumping. My mom was excited so she watched. It was stupid to see the on-screen character bounced around as I pressed the 'A' button over and over for 10 minutes. lol. She said, "I paid $150 to watch a guy jump around?" Of course, I did learn to use the 'B' button too.

Well, I hope you guys didn't fall asleep too bad with the above story. But I'm just trying to show one of my first experiences with gaming.

That's a good story, I enjoyed reading it. Probably because we would both be in a similar gaming generation age-wise to understand these sorts of stories. For the NES I do not really have an anecdotal story but I will say the day I bought my NES it came with SMB/Duck Hunt and I was super stoked. I actually ended up playing Duck Hunt about 100x more often than SMB because I sucked so hard at SMB. My next game was Dragon Warrior since my brother already owned Final Fantasy and I liked it but not as much as Final Fantasy. I kept going back to Final Fantasy though only have 1 save file was CRAPPY! I would never be able to start a new game since it was my brother's game so I just went everywhere fighting monsters. LOL I was still entertained and the party was super high level so I did my brother a favor. To this day I remember sitting outside my brother's door in the middle of the night just to look under the door to watch him play Final Fantasy, that must be one of the reasons why I admire the music so much since I heard so much of it without even seeing the game in action.

Quote:Here is my Top 5 for the NES.

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Castlevania
3. Ninja Gaiden
4. Double Dragon II
5. Rygar

All of those games except maybe Double Dragon II I absolutely SUCK at playing. I didn't beat any of those games on that list. Sad Maybe I was too busy with Final Fantasy, Jordan vs Bird, Dragon Power, and Super Mario Bros. 3. :)

Quote:It's probably surprising that I don't have Final Fantasy in the Top 5. I didn't get into RPGs until like 1991. I actually scolded my friends for liking RPGs where you have to pick commands just to attack somebody. "Slow and boring," I said. My first RPG was Dragon Warrior, which was pretty cool. But I still didn't enjoy it as much. I needed some action. I did rent Final Fantasy later on. However, it was still an acquired taste.

I did beat Final Fantasy eventually on the PS One version called Final Fantasy Origins.

I cannot blame you, FF is a really an acquired taste. Back then before the internets and even with the guide (NP #17 FTW!) it was still hard--but I found it rewarding. Funny how I thought the graphics and sound were light years beyond Dragon Warrior and Zelda.

P.S. Phil, speaking of Nintendo Power #17 -- the Final Fantasy Guide, do you have one in good shape you could sell/trade me? I still have our original but a page is loose and the cover is worn through heavy use. And I KNOW you collect classic gaming mags. ;)

08-08-2014, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 04:52 PM by Lotex.)
Don't have much to say about NES games since I never owned that console, but Final Fantasy ... that das pretty hard stuff back in the days when I bought it for the SNES.
The 4th was my first title and I played absolutely blind since I didn't learn english up to that date. I could only get up to that point where you have to get that cure thingy for Rosa (can't really remember how it's called, even if I played the game over and over in the SNES, GBA and DS version, but I'm sure one of you guys could help me out) and bam - I was completely stuck because I couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do.

I had to let it rest for like 2 years and decided to give it another try and since then it's my favorite part of the series. The basic game was pretty good (and tough), the GBA remake had some nice things to do even after beating the game and the DS brought graphics to another level.

What I really liked about the GBA version was that you could choose your party members. Edward/Gilbert actually became useful and I could keep Yang around because he's strong and incredibly fast. Too bad you still only have five character slots Grin
08-08-2014, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 05:42 PM by ctophil.)
Well, JCE, I do have the Final Fantasy Strategy Guide (Nintendo Power) in perfect condition like it just came out of the assembly line. :-) In fact, I have all the older Nintendo Power magazines in shrink wrap. However, I'm sorry that I won't be able to trade/sell it to you, since I still want it in my collection (no extras).

Yeah, Lotex, the first Final Fantasy was pretty hard. I'm proud to say that I have beaten all the Final Fantasies, except for Final Fantasy IV, V and XII. I got to the moon in FF IV for SNES (FF II in the U.S.), but then I had to return the game (it was a rental). I haven't played it since. FF V never came to the U.S. for a long time until the PS One version, so I didn't give it a chance. I did play it though. I got quite far in FF XII, but I got to a boss fight where I was not high enough in level and got skunked. There was no way to go out of the dungeon and level up, so I just gave up. lol.

I'm also proud to say that in my Top 5 NES list, I did beat all of them except for Ninja Gaiden, which I got to the last boss. I think it will be my project to beat it later this year.
08-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Mhh, I think I played 4 - 10-2 and that's it. I was never really interested in the online games and I couldn't get myself to like the controls of 12. I also could bring myself to play the first three games, because the graphics were just too sad for me. I'm not really a graphics fanatic, but it was like playing through Skyrim and Morrowind next Grin
08-08-2014, 08:53 PM
(08-08-2014 05:32 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Well, JCE, I do have the Final Fantasy Strategy Guide (Nintendo Power) in perfect condition like it just came out of the assembly line. :-) In fact, I have all the older Nintendo Power magazines in shrink wrap. However, I'm sorry that I won't be able to trade/sell it to you, since I still want it in my collection (no extras).

Yeah, Lotex, the first Final Fantasy was pretty hard. I'm proud to say that I have beaten all the Final Fantasies, except for Final Fantasy IV, V and XII. I got to the moon in FF IV for SNES (FF II in the U.S.), but then I had to return the game (it was a rental). I haven't played it since. FF V never came to the U.S. for a long time until the PS One version, so I didn't give it a chance. I did play it though. I got quite far in FF XII, but I got to a boss fight where I was not high enough in level and got skunked. There was no way to go out of the dungeon and level up, so I just gave up. lol.

I'm also proud to say that in my Top 5 NES list, I did beat all of them except for Ninja Gaiden, which I got to the last boss. I think it will be my project to beat it later this year.

That's too bad, but I understand. I'll probably get one in good condition at some point.

(08-08-2014 05:42 PM)Lotex Wrote:  Mhh, I think I played 4 - 10-2 and that's it. I was never really interested in the online games and I couldn't get myself to like the controls of 12. I also could bring myself to play the first three games, because the graphics were just too sad for me. I'm not really a graphics fanatic, but it was like playing through Skyrim and Morrowind next Grin

I cannot believe you guys! Haha. The older Final Fantasy games are so much better than the newer games minus 12. But I can understand the older Final Fantasy games aren't for everyone. :)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top 100 topic #21: Had to pick only 100 games to play forever JCE3000GT 4 95 10-21-2017 08:11 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Top 10 topic #20: Most Underrated RPGs of the Retro Era (1985-1999) JCE3000GT 6 279 09-03-2017 04:45 PM
  Top 50 topic #19: Game Soundtracks JCE3000GT 2 254 05-10-2017 10:17 AM
  Top 10 topic #18: Action shooter / 3rd person shooter JCE3000GT 7 914 10-26-2016 07:32 PM
  Top 10 topic #17: FPS (first person shooters) JCE3000GT 2 541 05-08-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: Lotex
  Top 10 topic #16: PC JCE3000GT 11 1,573 04-08-2016 09:53 AM
  Top 10 topic: #15 -- Microsoft XBOX 360 JCE3000GT 6 1,357 01-02-2016 11:56 AM
  Top 10 topic: #16 -- Your favorite consoles! JCE3000GT 5 1,421 09-22-2015 05:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #14 -- Sony PSP JCE3000GT 1 700 07-17-2015 06:09 PM
Last Post: ctophil
  Top 10 topic: #13 -- Microsoft XBOX JCE3000GT 6 1,743 06-19-2015 08:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #12 -- Super Famicom / Super Nintendo JCE3000GT 2 968 02-10-2015 10:54 AM
  Top 5 topic: #11 -- Sony PlayStation 1 JCE3000GT 4 1,079 01-31-2015 06:59 PM