Top 5 topic: #3 -- Nintendo GameBoy & GameBoy Color
07-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Top 5 topic: #3 -- Nintendo GameBoy & GameBoy Color
This week (and on time!) is the Nintendo GameBoy & GameBoy Color. This does NOT include GameBoy Advance.

Discuss.

-----------------------------

My top 5 will almost sound like a broken record on a few spots...

1. Tetris
2. Final Fantasy Legend II
3. Nemesis
4. Final Fantasy Adventure
5. Final Fantasy Legend III

My list is probably almost 100% predicable for those who know me. Though in my defense three of those games are probably going to be on any of the average 29-35 year old male's list. But please keep this in mind, this is a VERY difficult choice. I could quite literally have a top 20 list easy, but, I wouldn't be able to put them in order. There are SO many GREAT GameBoy games that it makes this a hard choice once you get past number 3 or 4. LOL

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2014, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 01:55 PM by Lotex.)
RE: Weekly Top 5 topic: Week 3 -- GameBoy & GameBoy Color
I guess my top 5 would look like this

1. Boulder Dash
2. Kwirk
3. Super Mario Land
4. Choplifter 3 I guess, I'm not 100% sure it was this sequel for the gameboy Grin
5. Pokemon Red/Blue

Boulder Dash is my alltime favourite, I just love this little guy who is eagerly collecting gems. Grin

Kwirk was a good game too, you're a puzzle solving tomato, after the first part his potatoe buddy came along to help him and I think there was a 3rd character, but I can't really remember who or what it was.

Super Mario Land should be selfexplaining.

Choplifter was also a good game and I think I played through it all the way, even it became harder and harder because the levels became tighter and tighter with more cannons and you had to go underground to rescue all the hostages.

And Pokemon red and blue were also pretty good, even if many people would say that it's a child's game, I really enjoyed it back in the days when it came out, it wasn't too overloaded with stuff like the newer sequels.

I probably forgot some games that could've made it into my top 5, but I don't have this system anymore, my father borrowed it when he went to take a cure and during that trip my gameboy advance + all the games were stolen. :@
Find all posts by this user
07-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Here is my Top 5 for the Game Boy/Game Boy Color.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2. The Legend of Zelda: Oracles of Seasons & Ages
3. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
5. Blaster Master: Enemy Below

The first point is that The Legend of Zelda: Oracles of Seasons & Ages to me is a single game with two volumes. So I don't consider them separate games. But if you beg to differ, let me know. :-)

Blaster Master: Enemy Below is one of those rare gems that you either love or hardly heard of it. But it is a GBC sequel to Blaster Master on NES, which is one of my favorite games on NES (I'm sure we'll get to that one. lol.)
07-27-2014, 07:44 PM
(07-27-2014 01:52 PM)Lotex Wrote:  I guess my top 5 would look like this

1. Boulder Dash
2. Kwirk
3. Super Mario Land
4. Choplifter 3 I guess, I'm not 100% sure it was this sequel for the gameboy Grin
5. Pokemon Red/Blue

Boulder Dash is my alltime favourite, I just love this little guy who is eagerly collecting gems. Grin

Kwirk was a good game too, you're a puzzle solving tomato, after the first part his potatoe buddy came along to help him and I think there was a 3rd character, but I can't really remember who or what it was.

Super Mario Land should be selfexplaining.

Choplifter was also a good game and I think I played through it all the way, even it became harder and harder because the levels became tighter and tighter with more cannons and you had to go underground to rescue all the hostages.

And Pokemon red and blue were also pretty good, even if many people would say that it's a child's game, I really enjoyed it back in the days when it came out, it wasn't too overloaded with stuff like the newer sequels.

I probably forgot some games that could've made it into my top 5, but I don't have this system anymore, my father borrowed it when he went to take a cure and during that trip my gameboy advance + all the games were stolen. :@

Kwirk is definitely one of those in my top 20 for sure. I played the HELL out of that game as a kid. Super Mario Land is a great Mario, probably my second or third favorite Mario game. I used to beat it back-to-back-to-back all the time. I'm not a Pokemon fan so I cannot comment on those. Haven't played the other two (yet).

(07-27-2014 06:19 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Here is my Top 5 for the Game Boy/Game Boy Color.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2. The Legend of Zelda: Oracles of Seasons & Ages
3. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
5. Blaster Master: Enemy Below

The first point is that The Legend of Zelda: Oracles of Seasons & Ages to me is a single game with two volumes. So I don't consider them separate games. But if you beg to differ, let me know. :-)

Blaster Master: Enemy Below is one of those rare gems that you either love or hardly heard of it. But it is a GBC sequel to Blaster Master on NES, which is one of my favorite games on NES (I'm sure we'll get to that one. lol.)

Those Legend of Zelda Oracle games are very very good, they are in my top 20-25 or so. I sucked at Blaster Master for the NES so I didn't play the GB version. Sad Now the Castlevania games on the GB were all very good--and unfortunately I suck at playing Castlevania. I still play them even if I do suck at them, yea they are that good. :)

07-27-2014, 08:08 PM
(07-27-2014 07:44 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Kwirk is definitely one of those in my top 20 for sure. I played the HELL out of that game as a kid. Super Mario Land is a great Mario, probably my second or third favorite Mario game. I used to beat it back-to-back-to-back all the time. I'm not a Pokemon fan so I cannot comment on those. Haven't played the other two (yet).

Yeah, Kwirk was pretty good, but it became incredibly hard as you made progress, at least that's what I remember, but I was only 6-8 years old when I got it for my school enrollment Grin

I liked the first Mario the most, just because of the underwater and the airship world, they were just awesome. My dad also called me over to help him with these stages, he wasn't very good at handling these vehiceles.

Choplifter is a helicopter game where you have to maneuver through the stage to rescue hostages, deal with canons and such stuff - pretty simple, but it was a good game at became much more intense and harder, just like Kwirk.

What surprises me the most is that you don't know Boulder Dash, it was one of these games that existed on gameboy, c64 and pretty much all older gamestations, probably atari too.
You're a little miner who has to collect gems and after you found the needed amount you have to get to the exit. You have a timer and you have to deal with enemies too. You have to either free them to get their gems, get past them or you have to crush them with a stone since some of them (we called them butterflies) gave you diamonds too.
I still like to play it when I've some spare time, but I use the emulator nowadays.
07-28-2014, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 04:21 PM by ctophil.)
(07-27-2014 07:44 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Those Legend of Zelda Oracle games are very very good, they are in my top 20-25 or so. I sucked at Blaster Master for the NES so I didn't play the GB version. Sad Now the Castlevania games on the GB were all very good--and unfortunately I suck at playing Castlevania. I still play them even if I do suck at them, yea they are that good. :)

If it makes you feel better, Castlevania and Blaster Master series are really hard games. You are going to die a few dozen times before getting any further. But you already know that classic games are notoriously difficult (i.e. Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden series come to mind). They are so fun, I ignore how difficult they are. I remember back in the day, it took me 2 months to beat the first Castlevania. In those days, I didn't have a choice. I only had one game at a time to play within long stretches of time due to being a kid and all. :-)
07-29-2014, 01:16 PM
It doesn't make me feel better bit I appreciate the sentiment.

It is funny how some games I was terrible at as a kid are easier now and a few games that were easier are now harder. LOL

07-29-2014, 04:31 PM
True, I really got better at stealth games, probably because I take them more serious now, maybe because I don't want to just play them but achieve something, prove something to myself. Sounds a bit strange and obsessed, but what can I say Grin

In exchange I'm not as good as I was at games like Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart or Street Fighter or shooter games in general - seems like my reflexes decreased and I get old Grin
07-29-2014, 06:04 PM
All games seem to be easier for me these days. For example, as a kid, it took me a long time to beat any of the Mega Man games. In fact, I only beat like 2-3 of them in the series back in the day. But now, I can beat the entire classic series (Mega Man 1-8) in a week. The same can be said for Contra, Mario, and Metroid series. Ninja Gaiden is still hard for me, but for the first time, I was able to get to the final boss just recently. Still can't beat it though. lol. I'll definitely try to beat it soon.
07-29-2014, 09:46 PM
First person shooters, racing, fighting, and the odd platformer I seem to have declined in my skill set. But conversely puzzle and RPG's are a little easier for me now. I don't know if that is an equal trade off...

I can tell you my Bonk skills on the TG16 and NBA Jam skills are still as sharp as ever. Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top 10 topic #20: Most Underrated RPGs of the Retro Era (1985-1999) JCE3000GT 6 151 09-03-2017 04:45 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Top 50 topic #19: Game Soundtracks JCE3000GT 2 203 05-10-2017 10:17 AM
  Top 10 topic #18: Action shooter / 3rd person shooter JCE3000GT 7 776 10-26-2016 07:32 PM
  Top 10 topic #17: FPS (first person shooters) JCE3000GT 2 488 05-08-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: Lotex
  Top 10 topic #16: PC JCE3000GT 11 1,373 04-08-2016 09:53 AM
  Top 10 topic: #15 -- Microsoft XBOX 360 JCE3000GT 6 1,235 01-02-2016 11:56 AM
  Top 10 topic: #16 -- Your favorite consoles! JCE3000GT 5 1,286 09-22-2015 05:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #14 -- Sony PSP JCE3000GT 1 641 07-17-2015 06:09 PM
Last Post: ctophil
  Top 10 topic: #13 -- Microsoft XBOX JCE3000GT 6 1,604 06-19-2015 08:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #12 -- Super Famicom / Super Nintendo JCE3000GT 2 905 02-10-2015 10:54 AM
  Top 5 topic: #11 -- Sony PlayStation 1 JCE3000GT 4 1,009 01-31-2015 06:59 PM
  Top 5 topic: #10 -- Sega Master System JCE3000GT 0 518 01-02-2015 11:50 AM