Top 5 topic: #2 -- Sega Mega Drive / Genesis
07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Top 5 topic: #2 -- Sega Mega Drive / Genesis
This week (sorry for the delay!) we have Top 5 in Sega Mega Drive / Genesis! This does not include the Powerbase Converter (for Master System), 32X, or the Mega/Sega CD!

--------------------

My top 5 in order.

1. Sword of Vermilion
2. Sonic the Hedgehog
3. Shining in the Darkness
4. Eternal Champions
5. Altered Beast

There are a bunch of runners up but in the end there can only be spots 1-5.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2014, 04:38 PM
RE: Weekly Top 5 topic: Week 2 -- Sega Mega Drive / Genesis
Ah yes, the Sega Genesis. I was a Nintendo fanboy as a kid, but that didn't stop me from playing the Genesis at Toys R' Us and Putt Putt Golf & Games. Putt Putt allowed you to play any Sega Genesis game you wanted for a certain amount of time (kind of like an on site rental system). They had a bunch of systems hooked up to TVs in the arcade room.

1. Castlevania: Bloodlines
2. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
3. Altered Beast
4. Shining Force
5. Mystic Defender

That was a tough choice. The Genesis had a bunch of good games.
Find all posts by this user
07-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Mystic Defender? I'll have to google that when I get home from work. Moonwalker...man I SUCKED at that game man. And I mean SUCKED! But, it was pretty cool! Shining Force I & II were definitely cool, and if I had a top 10 they'd be there for sure! Shining in the Darkness never gets any love seems like, did you ever play it? Hard but pretty cool.

And yes, the Genesis had some great games and most of my friends and gaming buddies back in that day played Nintendo systems. I was one of the lucky ones to have had all the Sega and Nintendo systems.

07-24-2014, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 08:59 PM by ctophil.)
Mystic Defender's graphics wowed me at the time, and I just had to play it. The game itself is a side-scroller and really fun. If you like games like the Valis series, except with magic instead of hacking & slashing, then it's just for you. Valis would of been in the Top 5, but Mystic Defender is more unique and the graphics/sound are better.

Moonwalker is so cool. If you're really good at playing the game, you can moon walk, grab your crotch (I'm not kidding), have a dance competition against boss fights, and just look good while rescuing kids in the game. The soundtrack is really good too, true to Michael's top hits of the 1980s. I preferred the Genesis version over the Arcade. The Arcade version was just a coop beat-em-up game, and everybody get to be Michael Jackson with different colored outfits.

I never did play Shining in the Darkness. I heard good things about it though over the years. It will surely be in my collection sometime in the future.
07-25-2014, 10:32 AM
(07-24-2014 08:57 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Mystic Defender's graphics wowed me at the time, and I just had to play it. The game itself is a side-scroller and really fun. If you like games like the Valis series, except with magic instead of hacking & slashing, then it's just for you. Valis would of been in the Top 5, but Mystic Defender is more unique and the graphics/sound are better.

Sound interesting. I need to check out the pricing on it to see if it will be reasonable so when I get my RetroN5 I can add that to my collection.

Quote:Moonwalker is so cool. If you're really good at playing the game, you can moon walk, grab your crotch (I'm not kidding), have a dance competition against boss fights, and just look good while rescuing kids in the game. The soundtrack is really good too, true to Michael's top hits of the 1980s. I preferred the Genesis version over the Arcade. The Arcade version was just a coop beat-em-up game, and everybody get to be Michael Jackson with different colored outfits.

Yea, it is a great game I just suck at it. I used to like starting the game and just listening to the music before I had my gameover. LOL

Quote:I never did play Shining in the Darkness. I heard good things about it though over the years. It will surely be in my collection sometime in the future.

You should play it, though only if you like Dungeon Crawlers--which I suspect you do. Didn't you mention something about Dungeon Explorer recently? :) I do have a few tips that can be useful actually.

-First, save your gold for the better mid-level equipment and don't be afraid to grind out a couple levels.
-Magic will serve you very well here so don't be afraid to spam spells.
-In the beginning I'd level up a bit (levels 6-9) before attempting to defeat the Kaiser Krab.
-Items are even more important than magic for the first say 15-17 or so levels.
-If you want to give yourself a leg up find some uncommented/uncaptioned maps online and print them out. You can use those as a pseudo canvas to keep track on your progress.
-Lastly there is the very important; save, save, and save again. Always save when you beat a boss, do something important, and or right after healing up at the Tavern before leaving town.

07-25-2014, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 05:47 PM by ctophil.)
Thanks for the Shining in the Darkness tips! I do like Dungeon Crawlers at times when I just want to relax, level up, and get lost. Yeah, I like getting lost in Dungeons, but not in large overworlds like in Elder Scrolls. lol. The original Breath of Fire had some of the toughest dungeons. The enemies were really hard, and the dungeons just kept going on and on, especially towards the end. But my thing is that I never, ever drew any maps. I like pushing my brain to the next level by memorizing the dungeons. People think I'm crazy. But it's fun to me.
07-25-2014, 10:36 PM
I see. LOL I kid I kid. Dungeon crawlers have a certain charm I think. If you can look past the repetitiveness the story usually is pretty good. While Sword of Vermilion isn't technically a dungeon crawler it feels like one to me. What do you think?

07-26-2014, 10:09 AM
(07-25-2014 05:47 PM)ctophil Wrote:  I like pushing my brain to the next level by memorizing the dungeons.

You should play the new Thief, you have to memorize the loot in 8 chapters, 6 side jobs and a whole city with around 400 pieces of loot Grin

Well, can't really say anything about Genesis because the only game I ever played was Phantasy Star 4. It wasn't that bad as far a I remember, don't why I never touched it again after playing for like an hour or two. Maybe I should have a closer look at this console.
07-26-2014, 12:34 PM
You should go back and take a look at the Mega Drive / Genesis. If you need any suggestions on games to play please feel free to either post here or make a new topic and we all can get started. :)

07-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Wouldn't the topic of the week be a good place for some suggestions?
I guess some RPGs would be nice, that's what I play the most beside stealth based games like Splinter Cell.
07-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Sure sounds like this is the place!

RPGs...

Action:
Sword of Vermilion
Beyond Oasis
Crusader of Centy

jRPG:
Phantasy Star II-IV (duh, you knew that)

Strategy:
Shining Force I & II

Dungeon Crawler:
Shining in the Darkness

...that's a good start. Phil can come in and finish this list out if I missed anything.

07-26-2014, 03:41 PM
(07-25-2014 10:36 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  I see. LOL I kid I kid. Dungeon crawlers have a certain charm I think. If you can look past the repetitiveness the story usually is pretty good. While Sword of Vermilion isn't technically a dungeon crawler it feels like one to me. What do you think?

Oh yeah, Sword of Vermilion has those first person dungeon crawling experiences like in Shadowgate (NES) or more recently, Etrian Odyssey (Nintendo DS). But it's more of a hybrid than a Dungeon Crawler like the games I mentioned, which are hardcore dungeon crawling. So, I would classify Sword of Vermilion as an Action RPG with Dungeon Crawling elements. Similar to how Breath of Fire is a Traditional, JRPG but with lots of Dungeons.
07-26-2014, 03:58 PM
I would definitely agree with that. Breath of Fire was very good, though it bugged me that they didn't program the menu system better.

Another game for the Genesis that I would recommend is Castlevania: Bloodlines. I know it isn't technically an RPG but it is a great game. I need to get it again for my collection.

07-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Here's the lowdown for Sega Genesis RPGs started by JCE:

RPGs...

Action:
Landstalker
Shadowrun
Sword of Vermilion
Beyond Oasis
Exile
Crusader of Centy
Light Crusader
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Super Hydlide (or Hydlide 3)
Arcus Odyssey

JRPG:
Phantasy Star II-IV (duh, you knew that)
Traysia
Pier Solar (Homebrew game, but equally as good as any JRPG, inspired by the Lunar series)

Strategy:
Shining Force I & II
Sorcerer's Kingdom
Warsong (also known as Langrisser)

Dungeon Crawler:
Shining in the Darkness
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Fatal Labyrinth
Might and Magic: Gates to Another World

You can't really go wrong with the above list. There are a few more RPG games on Sega Genesis that came to the west, but are ridiculously bad. So I wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole. lol.
07-26-2014, 04:43 PM
I also noticed that JCE's forum Avatar is the Weapon merchant from Shining in the Darkness. A true fan! Hehe.
07-26-2014, 04:52 PM
(07-26-2014 04:43 PM)ctophil Wrote:  I also noticed that JCE's forum Avatar is the Weapon merchant from Shining in the Darkness. A true fan! Hehe.

Your damn right! I love that shopkeeper. In fact I have that shop music stuck in my head right now!

I was wondering if anyone would notice that as I use this avatar on about 10 different forums. You're the FIRST person to recognize it. Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top 10 topic #20: Most Underrated RPGs of the Retro Era (1985-1999) JCE3000GT 6 150 09-03-2017 04:45 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Top 50 topic #19: Game Soundtracks JCE3000GT 2 200 05-10-2017 10:17 AM
  Top 10 topic #18: Action shooter / 3rd person shooter JCE3000GT 7 775 10-26-2016 07:32 PM
  Top 10 topic #17: FPS (first person shooters) JCE3000GT 2 486 05-08-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: Lotex
  Top 10 topic #16: PC JCE3000GT 11 1,371 04-08-2016 09:53 AM
  Top 10 topic: #15 -- Microsoft XBOX 360 JCE3000GT 6 1,235 01-02-2016 11:56 AM
  Top 10 topic: #16 -- Your favorite consoles! JCE3000GT 5 1,286 09-22-2015 05:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #14 -- Sony PSP JCE3000GT 1 641 07-17-2015 06:09 PM
Last Post: ctophil
  Top 10 topic: #13 -- Microsoft XBOX JCE3000GT 6 1,602 06-19-2015 08:21 PM
  Top 10 topic: #12 -- Super Famicom / Super Nintendo JCE3000GT 2 905 02-10-2015 10:54 AM
  Top 5 topic: #11 -- Sony PlayStation 1 JCE3000GT 4 1,008 01-31-2015 06:59 PM
  Top 5 topic: #10 -- Sega Master System JCE3000GT 0 517 01-02-2015 11:50 AM