Ok, I need a new web browser
06-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Ok, I need a new web browser
I'm at my wits end dealing with the stupid internet and it's auto installing adware/malware/browser hijacks. Not even google chrome is safe. Firefox won't cut it either and neither will opera. I need something with no plugins, no features, and doesn't store any files/cookies. Sort of like google chome's incognito mode only without the browser hijacks and with a stronger security. I'm do ready to disconnect from the internet.

Thoughts anyone?

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 05:40 PM by ctophil.)
RE: Ok, I need a new web browser
Well, if you know me, I've tried out just about every browser out there. I used to train webmasters for a while, and we had to try out code on a lot browsers for compatibility. The popular web browsers (Firefox, IE, Chrome, etc.) are usually prone to attacks and malware, just like how Windows is the target of every hacker out there. So I'm not big on using the popular browsers. I always like to use stuff that hardly anybody heard of. The "underdog" browsers are your best bet when it comes to security and even less plug-in usage due to less companies making stuff for it.

So with that, for simplicity, I have used SeaMonkey for a few years. Its interface is old school and feels a lot like Netscape from the 1990s. But don't get me wrong, it's a modern browser and has up-to-date tech to render your pages just fine. It does use the Gecko engine (Firefox), but it's pretty simple as just a browser. The security is on par with Chrome. I only recommend it if you just like to browse the internet without the extra gizmos. Check out SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

For super security, Comodo Dragon is the best one on Windows. It actually detects adware, trackers, widgets, and cookies in real-time. It blocks them as you browse as well. You can even click on a tiny icon on the top-right hand corner to see its current security engine working. It does use the Chrome engine and Incognito, but the security is much better. It looks and feels just like Chrome. So you would be familiar with how it works. Check out Comodo Dragon: http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-tool...rowser.php

If you want the ultimate security, installing Linux or Unix is the best option. I have used Linux for a long time now for my other PCs, and I NEVER get any kind of spyware or virus. I browsed to known web sites with malware and other junk all day (just to test it out), and nothing ever happens. It doesn't matter what browser you use on Linux. Just pick your favorite, Chrome is fine. If you need compatibility, I recommend installing two Hard drive partitions for Windows and Linux. That way you have the best of both worlds.
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Dude, thanks a bunch for the topic. I will definitely give Comodo Dragon a try, do you know if it has a better password storage security vs the normal chrome? For the notebook I use downstairs in the living room (using now) I'll keep Windows but once I get another SSD hard drive on my main desktop workstation upstairs I had planned on putting Linux on it. :)

I'll post in this topic my findings with Comodo Dragon. Grin

06-12-2014, 12:34 AM
I believe Comodo Dragon's password storage is the same. The best security you can have is just not to save any passwords. :-) But what you can do is use a program called LastPass. It works with your browser to store your passwords and stuff in high encryption (much higher than browsers).

Check it out: https://lastpass.com/
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2014, 12:38 AM
That's interesting to hear, never heard of lastpass, I'll have to check it out. LOL