Poll: Excited?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
RetroN5
04-17-2014, 10:35 PM
RetroN5
Anyone else highly anticipating the RetroN5?

http://www.retron5.com

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2014, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 12:00 AM by Jarlaxle.)
RE: RetroN5
Unless they are going to have an iTunes of sorts with legitimate game downloads it would just see the cost of old game cartridges skyrocket even worse than they already have. >_> And naturally if it has a USB port it'd probably be hackable to work with regular ROMs in no time anyway; but my Xbox can do all of those things already. I'd be interested to see if it had better compatibility with all the HD filters I use (HQ2X slows down most SNES games, which is annoying to the point of downgrading to SuperEagle or worse). Already got 720P as well, but once it's modded I'll definitely check the thing out. Sega receives not a cent from a $200 Genesis game purchased on eBay, after all.

Edit: Yep, has an SD card slot. Definitely has an interesting future, then!
04-18-2014, 02:18 AM
I'm excited mainly because I own hundreds of carts and having all those systems connected to a TV (using crummy composite/s-video) along with my PS2, Wii, and 360 makes a huge mess of wires!

That and it's a great way to backup aging battery saves since I sold my Super Wild Card DX2.

04-19-2014, 05:35 PM
They raised the price and delayed it again! I doubt this will turn out positive. Guess building an emulation PC is still my best option.

04-19-2014, 09:03 PM
There's a Super Retro Trio that plays NES, SNES, and Genesis that was released in March for $69.00 USD. It didn't like the PAL Super Mario Kart but everything else played flawlessly. There is even an adaptor to play GBA games on it as well. For $70 (no GBA) I could get in to this to save my SNES and Genesis consoles wear and tear.

Guess I need to sell some stuff to get the $$ needed to buy this since the RetroN5 is probably smoke and mirrors.

04-20-2014, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 12:39 AM by ctophil.)
You could just get the Retron 3 that plays NES, SNES, and Genesis for $48.92 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Retron-Sy...rds=retron

It does save a lot of space if you have an all-in-one system like that. My game systems are still in perfect condition, and they were the original units bought during their launch years. But I do want to preserve their looks.

I'm sure the Retron 5 will come out eventually. They are probably just having manufacturing issues at this moment like most console launches.
Find all posts by this user
04-20-2014, 12:54 AM
I managed to keep my personal 1st generation SNES unit in great shape but my brothers SNES that I use to play carts on has the discoloring. Sad

I traded my NES and Genesis units a long time ago (Funcoland days!). I managed to get a reasonably priced 1st gen Genesis that runs great. But I need to store my systems and keep them functioning and in good shape.

My problem with the RetroN3 and other previous clones is the game compatibility and audio quality. That's why I am/was excited about the RetroN5's release. The Super Retro Trio looks promising but no where as feature rich as the RetroN5. I'm also tempted to get an Ouya but that does not solve my need to use physical media. I have hundreds of vintage games and playing them the old fashioned way is preferable as I'm sure you'd agree. Grin

05-22-2014, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 03:49 PM by ctophil.)
Hi everybody,

The Retron 5 has been released today. But you might want to wait a while before getting one, since it's sold out everywhere. It's now available for $140.00, but might take a while to ship. Don't even bother going to their web site though. It's overloaded with visitors today and will not open, not surprisingly.

In the meantime, read the article about its release: http://arcadesushi.com/10-in-1-retro-con...hes-today/
05-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I cannot wait to hear actual ownership reviews on compatibility and audio quality. I'm still about 10% skeptical about the "complete" compatibility claim. That and I'd love to know if using Bluetooth compatible controllers (PS3?) have any lag.

Though $139 is a bunch of money to spend for me I would be inclined to buy it if the quality and compatibility is good. Save me a ton of wires and space!

*edit*
I'm selling some of my more valuable PC and disc based games to maybe fund buying this or more SNES/Genesis games.

05-24-2014, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 05:21 PM by ctophil.)
Gamespot just did an in-depth review of Retron 5. It seems there are some problems Hyperkin still need to work on, especially where it still have problems running certain games. It's not 100% compatible just yet. So to me, it's best to wait a while before getting this system, just like any console launches. You can perform firmware updates and cheat codes via a SD Card. So I'm sure Hyperkin can fix issues with updates. You can read it for yourself here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hyperki...0-6419841/
05-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Good review, albeit somewhat incomplete I thought. No word on the audio quality or video quality across all the systems vs original hardware. Still, good to see it running finally. :)

05-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Anyone else planning to get one of these consoles?

If I get enough $$ from my eBay auctions I might be able to pick one up. I'm still debating if I should wait or get one. I know there may be issues but I've got a stack of games is like to play with my wife on other systems besides Super Nintendo.

05-28-2014, 08:28 PM
It looks like people are posting their Retron 5 systems on Ebay now. You can get it for a cool $299. lol. Check it out here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Stock-New-Ret...5d4c9dfaf0

Apparently, last week's Retron 5 release was the first shipment for people who pre-ordered ages ago. Their next shipment will be June 6. So check around that date for availability. Amazon said they are getting some this week, but will mostly just ship them out to people who pre-ordered before.

I am in no hurry to pick up a Retron 5, since I have a system selector hooked up to a CRT TV with a NES, SNES, Turbografx-16, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, and Neo Geo plugged into it. But I will get it eventually for the Famicom/Super Famicom compatibility.
05-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Wow, $300? No thanks LOL!

I haven't built my video game kiosk yet so I'm stuck with a 4-input a/v switch and a rather archaic Emerson 32" LCD HDTV. I cannot wait to build my kiosk but in the meantime I'm stuck. Unless you know where I can find an 8-input or larger a/v switch with s-video and component support for a reasonable price? :)

05-29-2014, 01:10 AM
(05-28-2014 08:51 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Wow, $300? No thanks LOL!

I haven't built my video game kiosk yet so I'm stuck with a 4-input a/v switch and a rather archaic Emerson 32" LCD HDTV. I cannot wait to build my kiosk but in the meantime I'm stuck. Unless you know where I can find an 8-input or larger a/v switch with s-video and component support for a reasonable price? :)

Pelican used to make an 8-input system selector with composite/component/s-video. They don't make it anymore, but you can find it on Craigslist or Ebay at times. It used to retail for $100 brand new. But it should be about $50-$70 these days. I found one for you below. It is hard to find though. So you should nab it asap if you can because getting an 8-input system selector at those prices is a bargain.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/vgm/4491287571.html
05-29-2014, 01:24 AM
Oh yes! I remember these. Fry's used to sell these and the 6-input version too. I'll keep on the lookout for one of these locally or on ebay with free shipping once I can afford it if this guy doesn't take anything I have for trade and or doesn't want to ship it.

At least you helped me remember who made this, I've been racking my brain for about 5 years trying to remember the brand. :)

05-29-2014, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 01:42 AM by ctophil.)
I found alternative places to get the Pelican System Selector Pro, but in more used conditions. The first one is a different model too. Looks like an older one.

1.) http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Pelican-.../121710723

2.) Another Craigslist entry: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/ele/4434643496.html
05-29-2014, 01:53 AM
Awesome, that $45 is a good price. If that's still available if I get some more auction sales I may pick it up. Got too many systems and not enough inputs. LOL

06-02-2014, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 06:29 PM by ctophil.)
Ebay prices for the Retron 5 is steadily going down. It is now about $200 on some auctions. I expect it to go down again later this weekend as the next shipment arrives.

Check it out here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyperkin-RetroN-...3f3745b0eb
06-02-2014, 06:01 PM
I cannot believe people pay such a higher percentage on items either shortly before or after a release. No patience?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  RetroN5 game conversion discussion topic JCE3000GT 9 2,926 03-09-2015 01:59 AM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  RetroN5 Game Conversion Guide JCE3000GT 2 9,288 01-14-2015 06:22 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT