RIP Windows XP
04-08-2014, 02:00 AM
RIP Windows XP
I'm officially in mourning. Windows XP started out rocky and inferior to Windows 2000 on stability but after a couple of years the stability increased and XP became a great OS. Now the Windows OS world has turned to shit starting with Vista. With ending XP support Microsoft has officially alienated businesses and end users that DO NOT WANT what they are peddling as an operating system now.

With the status of the Windows OS world being what it is now I'm thinking about running an OSX machine for the internet and XP for everything else at some point. This is assuming I just don't use the internet altogether beyond my iOS device. This also means the end of new PC gaming since hardware and software support will end for XP. If I need a computer upgrade or part replacement I will have to buy my PC components from eBay or amazon.

Technology and computers are starting to become annoying and less desirable for me.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:26 AM
RE: RIP Windows XP
Yeah, I'm still using Windows XP and dislike that I'll be forced to upgrade sooner than later. I purchased a new computer semi-recently and stubbornly refused to get a newer Windows. I'm worried about compatibility with older games and programs, especially those used to edit old games and whatnot which you know won't work on newer versions. I suppose one day I could get a second computer with the latest Windows, but there's no chance of that happening until there's something I really need to use which XP can't handle; I use consoles for newer games so I think I'll be safe for another year or two!

Still, I guess all good things must come to an end.
04-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Well, I'm running Linux on one machine (I used to have Linux on 3 systems) and had to use Windows 7 and Vista for gaming. Vista is definitely bloated and slow like snails. But Windows 7 is not too bad as long as you disable about 30% of the stuff running in the background. :-) In fact, I did some customizations that make my Win 7 system look like Win XP. Hehe. You couldn't tell the difference until you look under the hood.

I wouldn't touch Win 8 with a 10 foot pole, since it's all about touch screen, tablet mess. But if I ever use it, I'll customize it to look like Win XP too. I have PCs that go back to the 1990s that could run Windows 3.1 and DOS like a champ, as well as one that runs Win 98 exclusively. I do like older stuff. They are simple and clean. These days Windows seem to run stuff without your permission. I like TOTAL control. So when I first install any OS, my first mission is to disable everything, except for the Core Windows. Then, I'll enable services that I need as I go. This speeds up the system by 40-50%.

Linux is much better at not running stuff unless you need it. So it doesn't require much attention. Plus, when it comes to security and networking, it's rock solid compared to Windows. Even OS X is based on Unix, which is also the core engine of Linux. No wonder people like it so much.
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2014, 04:46 PM
(04-08-2014 04:26 AM)Jarlaxle Wrote:  Yeah, I'm still using Windows XP and dislike that I'll be forced to upgrade sooner than later. I purchased a new computer semi-recently and stubbornly refused to get a newer Windows. I'm worried about compatibility with older games and programs, especially those used to edit old games and whatnot which you know won't work on newer versions. I suppose one day I could get a second computer with the latest Windows, but there's no chance of that happening until there's something I really need to use which XP can't handle; I use consoles for newer games so I think I'll be safe for another year or two!

Still, I guess all good things must come to an end.

I'm with you on compatibility, I don't know if my programs even RUN on Windows 8.

Thankfully those users on Windows 7 machines can run XP compatibility mode which I believe will allow the programs to run. I refuse to test any of my programs on Windows 8.

(04-08-2014 03:48 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Well, I'm running Linux on one machine (I used to have Linux on 3 systems) and had to use Windows 7 and Vista for gaming. Vista is definitely bloated and slow like snails. But Windows 7 is not too bad as long as you disable about 30% of the stuff running in the background. :-) In fact, I did some customizations that make my Win 7 system look like Win XP. Hehe. You couldn't tell the difference until you look under the hood.

I wouldn't touch Win 8 with a 10 foot pole, since it's all about touch screen, tablet mess. But if I ever use it, I'll customize it to look like Win XP too. I have PCs that go back to the 1990s that could run Windows 3.1 and DOS like a champ, as well as one that runs Win 98 exclusively. I do like older stuff. They are simple and clean. These days Windows seem to run stuff without your permission. I like TOTAL control. So when I first install any OS, my first mission is to disable everything, except for the Core Windows. Then, I'll enable services that I need as I go. This speeds up the system by 40-50%.

Linux is much better at not running stuff unless you need it. So it doesn't require much attention. Plus, when it comes to security and networking, it's rock solid compared to Windows. Even OS X is based on Unix, which is also the core engine of Linux. No wonder people like it so much.

I like OSX, and knew it was unix based. I'm just concerned about compatibility and I am not sure the games released in the 2005-2010 year range were all as compatible and or buggy vs Windows platforms.

I have an HP desktop with a quad core 64-bit Athlon CPU with a Windows 7 pro COA so I could run stuff for Windows 7 if I needed it. But I don't care about it much really. I refurbished the machine for my wife and installed XP on it. :)

My main machine will live and die with XP Media Center 2005 on it. Even though you can have it look similar to XP Windows 7 still sucks. The start menu layout is retarded. And just having to actually disable all of the services, background, and nanny BS is both time consuming and aggravating. It's aggravating because I shouldn't HAVE to do it. Vista started the trend of assuming people are stupid and wants to hold their hand every time something is clicked on in the OS. Windows 7 is almost as bad if not the same. I'm 100% like you in the control frame of mind. I am a regular visitor for the registry and services.msc.

Sadly I doubt I will ever like Windows 7. In more closed minded about the Windows architecture than I was in the last decade when I came around to XP. I hope Microsoft crashes and burns for their treason for Windows Vista and 8. OSX is appealing to me but the only machine I have to run it is a really nice G4 machine. Sad

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
06-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Well i really liked Windows XP back in the days, but I think Windows 7 is a good replacement. It's enough to please the normal customer and if you really want or need you can customize some things and make it work in a way you mostly like.
I never experienced a problem with an older game to be honest, everything ran pretty smooth, even old games like the Diablo 1 or the first Splinter Cell game.
I might have been lucky with the games, but I'd say there are only minor tweaks to be done to make everything work, especially if you know what you're doing.
Find all posts by this user