I hate social media ... and now completely the internet
03-31-2014, 05:47 PM
I hate social media ... and now completely the internet
I do not like social media and what it is doing to the human culture. I'm sick of social media being shoved down everyone's throats whether or not you want it and most people being so self absorbed with it. If I want to watch a TV show or the local news I do not care what social media or any person has to say that is on said show. I just want to watch the show I'm watching without social media scumming it up. I do not want to see your pictures and just the terms; "tweet", "hashtag", and "selfie" need to be purged from the world's languages. Oh, and by the way its a damn pound sign and NOT a "hashtag". The irony is social media is actually stunting not only young adults' but childrens' social development. I see my nephews talk to their peers with social media and text messages with the said peers sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THEM. Is verbal communication being swept under a rug?

Google and Yahoo are so absorbed by it that I cannot even get in to my accounts without being reminded to "start a profile'. Screw you, I just want email! Leave me the hell alone! The only way I find acceptable to use my email is actually through my iPhone...clean, crisp, and no ads. That's how email used to be...just email.

The internet granted has been bad for a long time--maybe +/- 10 years-- but now it is to the point where honestly I just want to stop using it. Just trying to navigate a website to look for useful information has turned in to an ad fest with malware all over the place. Try it, go to a normal news site like abc.com, cnn.com, or foxnews.com. Now that you're there just look at how much visible space is stuffed with ads. You get what, 30-40% visible space with actual content you wanted to view with the rest being ads? Plus the 3rd party ads aren't monitored by these companies like abc or etc so they really don't care if your computer gets infected with malware and or viruses. At least Wiki still has a clean and crisp site. Only a matter of time before Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft buys them out and bloats them up with useless crap. I find it ironic also that Google used to be the anti-establishment and it was their goal to be low impact and ad-free. My my my how things have changed.

I realize I may not need the internet any more. I no longer do multiplayer gaming because that's a cesspool now full of foul mouth improperly raised kids and the anonymous young twenty-something who feels like he is better than you and decides to harass you. So beyond checking my email, managing my website, and posting on less than a half dozen forums I don't even USE the internet. I no longer download anything and the thought of "surfing" now disgusts me. I told my wife last night that I could honestly care less if we cancelled our internet service. Too bad she needs it for her job or I really would cut it off. At least so far I can use my iPhone to accomplish my email and forum usage. I would still continue to do my projects but honestly if my website disappeared and I stopped publishing my projects publicly I seriously doubt anyone would notice. I mainly do projects for myself and put them up on my site just in case there's one person out there who would benefit from it. I receive positive feedback on a monthly basis from random people about my projects so that's primarily why I keep my site up with a secondary reason of it being a journal of my projects of sorts.

I'm sure I'm in the ultra-minority here. Something has to give at some point, someone will have to do something to get back to the way the internet and email was pre-2002 or so. Maybe a Wiki approach of donations to run ad-less site(s)? I'd probably donate to that on a monthly basis. Hotmail used to be awesome to use with a small tight clean interface...then it turned in to crap. Yahoo mail came along and that was clean, tight, and had a light impact. Then Yahoo got insanely bloated for the longest time...that is before Google starting changing to "the one Google" and surpassing the bloating of Yahoo. Ugh, I don't even need to explain as I'm sure everyone here is aware of now bloated Google is now, but isn't it ridiculous?

P.S. Oh, and I do not want a mobile version of any website. Stupid idea.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 03:12 PM by ctophil.)
RE: I hate social media ... and now completely the internet
I'm with you there, bro. You can't even browse the internet anymore without a decent computer. The ads will freeze or corrupt your PC almost instantly without a gaming type rig. lol. I know this because I have a few PCs that have earlier Pentium CPUs. I recently sold a Pentium III PC on Ebay that came out over 10 years ago. The customer left me neutral feedback saying that the PC freezes up. She said it freezes up when running some programs and "surfing" the internet. Uh, come on now. Even on my Core i5, the system gets bogged down on certain sites. And I hope she is not running World of Warcraft or some nonsense like that on it.

As for e-mail, Gmail basic version on PC is awesome. It has no ads and runs at light speed, even on my older computers. It is very clean. You can enable the basic version by either clicking on the link while it's loading or just go to the very bottom of the main screen once you log in. It only has basic HTML, but that's how I like my web e-mail. Or you can just download your stuff straight to your favorite e-mail client via POP3 or IMAP. I haven't used an e-mail client for a long time. But last time I used something, Foxmail was my favorite one.

Some of the other social media mess like Facebook or Twitter I never even consider using them. Like you, I can care less about what I think or other people's thoughts or pictures/videos about their lives. Plus, the government use these things to spy on your life. I don't care if the government knows what kind of bedspread I use. But just the idea of them knowing that kind of stuff just for their selfish needs should let people know they shouldn't be using "social" media. Although Google, Yahoo, and the 10 thousand cookies web sites put on your hard drive is also a form of spying, the information is still not as exclusive as say Facebook.

I only play multiplayer with a friend of mine. Period. I'm playing Dragon Nest right now. It's a MMORPG I know. But it's free. lol. I don't ever play with people I don't know, unless they invade me or desperately need my help in games like Dark Souls. I find that really deep RPGs have more intelligent people on there. BTW, if you need a partner in a RPG, it would be an honor to play with you. I find that your rants are just like mine (in games, black friday thing you mentioned last year, etc.).
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I will definitely look for the Gmail basic! Thanks bro. And your points are spot-on. Social media is also a breeding ground for bad behavior I think. What's even more messed up is that employers now look at social media to determine if they want to hire you. And if you don't have social media you're frowned upon. I've been asked why I don't have one of these accounts and my response no doubt eliminated me from consideration to be employed at that company. What a crock. I just don't understand why people cannot just communicate and congregate in person or otherwise verbally. What's wrong with that? Also, used to be you were either a private person or a socialite. Both were with their pros and cons. Now if you're not on social media your chastised and looked down upon.

If I ever get a bug to play online I will definitely let you know!

LOL on my "rants". Maybe I'll post my rant about technology in automobiles and how I'm starting to dislike techno- gadgetry in my automobile. :)

I'm really not an angry person, though I do get annoyed when I see unnecessarily destructive behavior.

05-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Now this is an interesting result... A quarter of the poll voters voted no social media at all (as did I). I'm surprised given the average age of people that visit this site.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I hate autocorrect JCE3000GT 1 329 12-13-2016 06:37 PM
Last Post: ctophil