Poll: Is GameStop a ripoff?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
GameStop rant thread
05-11-2012, 02:05 PM
GameStop rant thread
A thread on another forum got me ranting about GameStop. So let me continue that here.

GameStop is a ripoff and has been for over 5 years. The stores that still carry PS2 games actually TRASH the case, manual, and insert artwork. They just sell the discs, at least the local ones here do. Absorbing with EBgames was the second worst thing GameStop ever did behind changing away from Funcoland's policies and values. I worked at both Funcoland and GameStop and I can tell you that Funcoland was a much better company with a much better atmosphere. You could literally walk in with $100 cash and walk out with over a dozen quality games. Plus, they usually offered a decent buying $$ for your games. Now, you'll lucky to get $20 on that $60 game you just bought new--even if it is a week out from release and in literally brand-new shape played once. And what do they do? They sell the game that you just got $20 store credit for and they sell it for $5 below the brand-new sealed price. WTF? Another ripoff...sure sports games are cheap but they don't care if the sports game sells at their stores for $1.99 or even $9.99 because they will pay you a whole QUARTER, that's right $0.25 for either. They profit way too much and most people don't even realize it. I think they've grown too quickly and will be destined to start closing stores once people stop trading there. I actually hope GameStop crumbles and goes back to it's roots (Funcoland) and stays there.

BONUS: As a game collector the stickers used at GameStop do not come off clean no matter how you use your heatgun/hairdryer and googone. You'll end up damaging the disc jewel case or box. EBgames and Funcoland used stickers that you could successfully pull off slowly without leaving residue or damaging the game. I literally had over 50 PS2, GC, XBOX and PSX cases that I threw in a dumpster because of those damned stickers. I paid $$ to order new cases off of eBay. That's another incurred cost that GameStop is responsible for. I didn't even mention the best part? At one of the GameStop's I worked at about 10 (?) years ago we shrink wrapped most of the games THEN put stickers on the outside of the shrink wrap. Why? Because all of us keyholders (managers) were game collectors and were irritated with stickers being put directly on (at that time) cartridge labels and cardboard boxes by the entire company. Many rare SNES and Genesis carts (including rare RPGs) had stickers right on their front labels rendering then WORTHLESS to collectors. We were the only store actually doing this at the time--and the district manager told us to stop doing it. Our customers were actually upset at this. Who knows how much in sales we lost because we had to stop doing it.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 04:05 PM
RE: GameStop rant thread
Not only are they a huge ripoff (That brand new game you just bought two days ago for $60 from here? We'll give you $20 cash or $25 in store credit for it), but they also don't give a shit about their customers or employees.

I used to work at a Gamestop too. The only important thing was numbers, numbers, numbers. How many Game Informer subscriptions you sold and how many game reservations you got. I put about a year into that company, and was a badass salesman. So much so that pretty much every week I had top numbers, and everyone in the store referred to me when a customer had questions. I once had a customer that came in with the old-style GBAs and wanted a few games. I talked him into a brand new GBA-SP AND a buncha games AND a reservation. He turned around and looked at my then manager and said "You should keep him. He just got me to empty my wallet and made me enjoy it."

They did just that: I got promoted soon because one of the managers was leaving. But the VERY DAY I closed the store for the first time on my own was one of the worst days of my life. It started out with simple shit: my pants split in the back and I had to keep running in the back of the store and stapling them together. But thirty minutes prior to closing, a group of four black guys robbed the store with guns. I had the barrel of a rifle put to my forehead for information. I was told that if I didn't cooperate with them 100% that they would kill the person I was working with that night (and it was a pretty bad night for him too. It wasn't even his store! He was covering someone else's shift!).

After all was said and done? I was guaranteed my position, but at another store. I was told they would pay for me to get counseling. I was told "take all the time off you need to get better, and when you do, call me" by my district manager.

After 30 days? I got a big FU letter from corporate saying I didn't qualify for the manager's health/emergency leave. And I had to come back to work the very next day, or be fired. Sure enough, the next day was 4th of July weekend, and my store manager had been out for maternity leave. I call the store and ask the guy taking her spot to come in for a 4 hour shift or something to save my job, he tells me no and hangs up the phone.

I lost a job that I was incredibly good at and loved to death.

Hah, but I guess I won in the end. I sued them for workman's compensation they denied me, and got $5000 for it. My lawyer took $1k, and I got the rest. Got my best guitar and my first car out of it.

But still, Gamestop is nothing but a bunch of scum.

~DS
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
RE: GameStop rant thread
Wow, what a story. I've been robbed at gun point too and it isn't fun. I'm not surprised GameStop did this to you, they are incredibly narrow-minded and biased. Do a great job and get noticed. Kiss ass and do a shitty job and you get promoted.

This is what is going on currently at my old job and my current job. I'm desperately trying to get back into an office environment and say fuck you once and for all to retail. If this county's wasn't shitty since 2009 (thanks Obama) I wouldn't be in this job situation. But I digress...

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user