I'm disappointed in retro gaming prices
02-13-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm disappointed in retro gaming prices
This is half observation and half rant. Sad I cannot believe how a large portion of vintage and or retro games are so expensive. Three/four years ago I sold about 300 games worth of my collection on ebay and after checking the prices versus what's currently being sold the prices have gone up 50%-1,000%.

For example, I sold a SoulBlazer cart for $17.95+shipping. Now you cannot even THINK about picking up a cart only auction for anything less than ~$30. I also sold a complete near mint SoulBlazer for $50...and now...yea just go look.

I sold DOOM for the 3DO complete and in good shape for $15 and now you will pay close to $50.

Resident Evil Code Veronica X for the GameCube? I sold this along with Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero for $19.95 and now just RE Code Veronica X is going for well over $30.

I sold all three of my Turbo Grafx 16 consoles--one complete in box with everything + 2 extra controllers, 2 extra arcade sticks, 1 Turbo Booster, 1 carry case, 1 Turbo Grafx 16 CD unit (just the unit) and 1 complete Turbo Grafx 16 CD system for $250. Now you are gong to be hard pressed to find JUST a TG16 console complete for less than $200 in the shape mine was in. Not to mention the CD systems are bloody expensive as is the Turbo Booster. I'd be looking at over $500-$600 to replace what I sold for $250.

I'm not even going to go on mentioning my other SNES RPG's...just know they are double, triple or more in price.

So unless my wife and I get better jobs (the wife will probably next week) I am SCREWED on replacing some of these vintage/retro games and consoles I unloaded. I'd like to have a decent collection of 3DO, Sega CD and Turbo Grafx CD games but it would appear I may be way down the road on that. Though, I did just sell 2 TGCD games (Monster's Lair & Last Alert)--thankfully they weren't very rare and I could get them back without trouble.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2014, 12:30 AM
RE: I'm disappointed in retro gaming prices
BTW, I'd like to add however PSX/PS1 games have got cheaper. I was able to replace all of my Square RPG's for next to nothing. Managed to find a near mint black label FF7 for $23, SaGa Frontier 2 (new and sealed) for $25 and a near mint black label Xenogears for $21 among others. I also managed to pickup three mint FF8's and 2 near mint FF9's for an average price of $14 each. :)

02-17-2014, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 03:32 PM by ctophil.)
Yeah, I know what you mean. I bought a mint condition copy of Soul Blazer last month for $100. I was quite lucky to even get that price as you can see the current inflation on Ebay for that game. From what I see, the longer you hold out on buying a high value retro game, the prices will continue to go up as time goes by on most of them.

I guess my biggest regret was selling the Lunar series for PS1 when I bought them on day one. These days, I figure I would just collect the series on Sega CD instead, since they are superior versions according to you. :-)

I used to own a few copies of Xenogears brand new, but I sold them all years ago. So, it's good to hear PS1 RPGs are getting lower prices. I might have to get me a Xenogears copy asap. But my biggest purchases I will make this year will probably be the Lufia series for SNES before they hit astronomical prices.

UPDATE: As with anything, a good tip with bidding on popular retro games is to find bundles rather than buying them individually (this is what I did with Soul Blazer). People tend to see the prices going so high that they will stop bidding sooner. But in actuality, the individual titles are worth even higher than people perceive. It's a psychological thing. Another tip is to buy from Canada. You won't find too many games being sold from Canada, but they are usually cheaper. It may be a little more expensive on shipping, but after you add up the math, it is still cheaper than in the U.S. Some Canadians will do free shipping too, even better. This is what I did for a mint copy of Final Fantasy III (SNES) for $30! Plus, American gamers will shy away from semi-international places like Canada so there are less bids.
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
I agree with the Canada thing, I try and pick stuff up from Canada when you are looking for something specific. Also, with the "lots" or bundles that is pretty much true...that is unless you get someone from NintendoAge or another such gaming forum selling their wares since they know exactly what they can get for it.

I think SoulBlazer will be one of those that I'm going to eternally regret selling my 3 copies not including my Japanese import.

Once the wife and I get new jobs and back in good shape financially I may start picking up one of the "expensive" complete boxed RPG's for the SNES about every quarter (minus birthday/xmas). At this point I'd almost rather find a good reproduction maker that has new NES/SNES boards and top quality boxes and just have them reproduced for half the cost (or less).

04-08-2014, 02:41 AM
I wanted to start my snes collection this year. buy an snes and collect all rpg's first etc.. but then i seen the market and was like... holy shit expensive hobby haha
Find all posts by this user