05-10-2013, 12:06 AM
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition Player Editor released
Creator: JCE3000GT
Current Version: 0.36
Release Date: 5/10/2013
Updated Last: 12/15/2014
System: Super Nintendo

Description:
Feel the need to edit the players and team rosters in NBA Jam: TE? Well you're in luck because this little program allows exactly that. You can also edit the cheat codes to start with, and you can use more than one at a time! The only thing left for me to code really is for you to choose which head the players can use and maybe a player data relocation routine.

Features:
-Edits the players' stats both "visual" and actual "in-game"
-Edits the players' height and skin tone
-Edits the players' in-game AI
-Displays the HEX and Decimal offsets of each player's visual and in-game stats (can also be copied to the clipboard by clicking on the offset)
-Allows you to change each of the teams' roster data
-Displays the HEX and Deciman offsets of each teams'roster data block (can also be copied to the clipboard by clicking on the offset)
-Also allows you to edit the starting cheat codes.
-Allows you to relocate the players' visual stat data to an empty part of the ROM so you can properly edit/show the correct stats for the secret players.

Future plans:
-Changes which head the players use (not coded yet)

NOTE: This program works on the following ROMs...

NBA Jam - Tournament Edition (Beta):
-Player stat data cannot be edited
-Roster data can be edited
-Cheat codes cannot be edited (yet)

NBA Jam - Tournament Edition (E):
-Cheat codes cannot be edited (yet)

NBA Jam - Tournament Edition (J) & NBA Jam - Tournament Edition (U)
-Player stat data can be edited
-Cheat codes can be edited

NBA Jam - Tournament Edition (U) Mattrizzle's Old School Edition
-Cheat codes can be edited

BUGFIX:
-Fixed a bug that prevented the user from saving player height.

Download: http://www.jce3000gt.com/njtepe.php

[Image: main.gif]

[Image: roster_editor.gif]

[Image: cheats.gif]

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2013, 03:01 PM
RE: NBA Jam: Tournament Edition Player Editor released
Oh, small "bug". Need to increase the size of the offset numbers displayed or reduce the font size. Otherwise haven't had any complaints so far. Any feedback from those who've used it?

05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Bugs fixed and added the ability to edit cheat codes and relocate the players' visual data so the "secret" characters can display the correct visual stats.

05-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks, is this fixed update already uploaded for download?
Find all posts by this user
05-27-2013, 09:04 PM
What's uploaded and linked should be the latest version. The rar file should have 036 in the filename. :)

Link to page: http://www.jce3000gt.com/njtepe.php

06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Will there be plans to implement editing the player names (and change what their call name is) as well as get portraits from outside the game? (Basically the other important features used in Old School Edition.)
06-19-2013, 09:41 PM
(06-12-2013 10:11 PM)DaiAndOh Wrote:  Will there be plans to implement editing the player names (and change what their call name is) as well as get portraits from outside the game? (Basically the other important features used in Old School Edition.)

I haven't worked or even thought about implementing graphic editing capabilities. I know someone else is coding an editor that allows some graphic changes but I'm not sure the progress or what all it will do.

Wish I had better news for you but I think those features will for the time being will have to be done the old fashioned way...with a hex editor and tile editor. Grin Thanks for posting!

06-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Are the player names done through graphics rather than text?
06-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Yes they are. Odd waste or space if you ask me. :)

07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
(06-12-2013 10:11 PM)DaiAndOh Wrote:  their call name
Players don't have call names in the Super Nintendo version of NBA Jam T.E.. I believe those only exist in the Arcade, Playstation, Saturn, Jaguar, and PC versions.
07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Mattrizzle! Grin

07-04-2013, 02:29 PM
(07-01-2013 11:24 AM)Mattrizzle Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 10:11 PM)DaiAndOh Wrote:  their call name
Players don't have call names in the Super Nintendo version of NBA Jam T.E.. I believe those only exist in the Arcade, Playstation, Saturn, Jaguar, and PC versions.

Ah ok...oddly enough Arcade version was the last version I played (as in a week ago).
07-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Wow the two best Nba Jam editors together :) you two should work together somehow! on another topic I am still waiting for that that hard-type mod :)
07-14-2013, 11:24 PM
(07-14-2013 11:14 PM)law56ker Wrote:  Wow the two best Nba Jam editors together :) you two should work together somehow! on another topic I am still waiting for that that hard-type mod :)

Heh, trust me Matt is far superior to me with NBA Jam. :)

I'm in California on vacation right now but I hope to work on it when we get home and finish it sometime before September. :)

09-16-2014, 06:25 PM
I was wondering if there is any update on the editor or any new game mods like "hardtype" etc.. hope you keep working on this.
09-17-2014, 04:51 PM
(09-16-2014 06:25 PM)law56ker Wrote:  I was wondering if there is any update on the editor or any new game mods like "hardtype" etc.. hope you keep working on this.

Unfortunately since I have retired there won't be any updates to this or other programs. There is someone else coding an editor for NBA Jam/TE so it is possibly going to have more features than mine at some point. Sorry about that. Sad

12-13-2014, 03:18 PM
(09-17-2014 04:51 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Unfortunately since I have retired there won't be any updates to this or other programs. There is someone else coding an editor for NBA Jam/TE so it is possibly going to have more features than mine at some point. Sorry about that. Sad

Hello!

My name is Brad, and I'm on a quest this Holiday to blow my young 6-year-old nephew's mind at Christmas by placing he and myself on the Chicago Bulls in NBA Jam TE and giving him a taste of my childhood. Your player editor in tandem with mattrizzle's documentation and an additional player editor from github user dext3r has made nearly everything doable for me, without touching a line of code. I have updated portraits, altered names, stats, etc.

The last frontier is in editing the player sprites, specifically the heads used in-game.

I'm more than willing to dive in and have a hex and tile editor installed and ready to go. I've explored NBA Jam's rom in a tile editor and the graphic assets appear to be compressed, jumbled, oddly colored and generally all over the place.

I'm reaching out in hopes that you might be able to provide some idea of how to begin this process of changing the graphics manually. I know, for instance, that bj armstrong's decimal location is at 2079265, and his head pointer is B7B3. Do you have some inclination of how I would translate that into a tile editor that I might be able to find that location and begin the process of updating the sprite? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
12-13-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm not too sure about the heads, I wasn't able to dive in to editing those. What I can tell you is you'll need a tile editor that can be resized to various sizes. Once you locate the head graphics you can resize the window in the tile editor to be the exact width of the head graphics. If you use a tile editor such as (horrible name) Tile Molestor you can accomplish what you are wanting to do.

I might recommend posting on http://www.romhacking.net to see if anyone has more info on this data. I know mattrizzle is also on this site as well. If you don't get anywhere on that forum maybe shooting an email Matt's way may be another option. I wish I could help more, it sounds like a great project. Grin

12-15-2014, 05:16 PM
(12-13-2014 09:00 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  I'm not too sure about the heads, I wasn't able to dive in to editing those. What I can tell you is you'll need a tile editor that can be resized to various sizes. Once you locate the head graphics you can resize the window in the tile editor to be the exact width of the head graphics. If you use a tile editor such as (horrible name) Tile Molestor you can accomplish what you are wanting to do.

I might recommend posting on http://www.romhacking.net to see if anyone has more info on this data. I know mattrizzle is also on this site as well. If you don't get anywhere on that forum maybe shooting an email Matt's way may be another option. I wish I could help more, it sounds like a great project. Grin

Thanks for the quick response! I've been trying to get ahold of mattrizzle for the last week or so but have been unsuccessful. I tried sending him an email through this forum, so we'll see.

Through these editors, however, I've noticed that several character models closely enough resemble the people I'm after that I've been able to replace members of the Bulls roster with these characters and the results are great.

One additional question I had: everything in the editor is working for me except the player height adjustment. I'd really like to be able to set the character "Kabuki" height from 'Normal' to 'Small'. If I hit 'Apply' after making that change, it doesn't seem to be saving. The player height adjustment isn't working on any other player with the ROM I'm using, either.

Would you be able to point the line of code to me where Kabuki's height might be adjusted and what that value might be? Or is there a way I can devise this from the hex values that are displayed in the editor for each player?

Thanks!
12-15-2014, 05:52 PM
(12-15-2014 05:16 PM)pianoBrad Wrote:  
(12-13-2014 09:00 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  I'm not too sure about the heads, I wasn't able to dive in to editing those. What I can tell you is you'll need a tile editor that can be resized to various sizes. Once you locate the head graphics you can resize the window in the tile editor to be the exact width of the head graphics. If you use a tile editor such as (horrible name) Tile Molestor you can accomplish what you are wanting to do.

Thanks for the quick response! I've been trying to get ahold of mattrizzle for the last week or so but have been unsuccessful. I tried sending him an email through this forum, so we'll see.

Through these editors, however, I've noticed that several character models closely enough resemble the people I'm after that I've been able to replace members of the Bulls roster with these characters and the results are great.

One additional question I had: everything in the editor is working for me except the player height adjustment. I'd really like to be able to set the character "Kabuki" height from 'Normal' to 'Small'. If I hit 'Apply' after making that change, it doesn't seem to be saving. The player height adjustment isn't working on any other player with the ROM I'm using, either.

Would you be able to point the line of code to me where Kabuki's height might be adjusted and what that value might be? Or is there a way I can devise this from the hex values that are displayed in the editor for each player?

Thanks!

I'm glad you were able to work out at least a backup plan in case you haven't heard from Mattrizzle. As for the height saving in the editor I have fixed that bug thank you for letting me know. Below is the hex/decimal offset for Kabuki's height.

Updated editor:
http://www.jce3000gt.com/projects/progra...epe036.rar

Byte value of "00" is for normal height and byte value of "01" is for short.
Kabuki Decimal offset = 2083012
Kabuki Hex offset = 1FC8C4

*edit*
Feel free to post some screenshots of your work if you feel up to it. Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  final fantasy mystic quest save editor problem Clouds67 1 1,229 10-16-2015 12:44 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Lufia & the Fortress of Doom Multi Editor v1.0b JCE3000GT 15 2,229 04-24-2014 08:39 PM
  Lufia & the Fortress of Doom Multi Editor v1.0b Released JCE3000GT 5 485 04-09-2014 12:24 AM
  New utility and easy/challenge mods released JCE3000GT 6 1,014 02-12-2014 08:41 PM
  Having Trouble with the NBA Jam TE Editor Megafield81 1 1,917 01-24-2014 07:48 PM
  FF4 Map Properties Editor error xcmn 3 2,404 09-03-2013 02:19 PM
  NBA Jam Tournament Edition EasyType re-released. JCE3000GT 8 2,060 06-05-2013 10:17 PM
  SPC Editor (FFIV/IIUS) chillyfeez 1 2,527 12-15-2012 07:25 PM
  Mystic Quest Multi-Editor JCE3000GT 0 1,541 05-08-2012 10:34 PM