Tales of Phantasia
04-11-2013, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 04:21 PM by ctophil.)
Tales of Phantasia
Hey everyone, I was looking into buying an English translated, SNES version of Tales of Phantasia. Does anybody know any web sites that sell a reproduction cart of this game besides Ebay? I saw a copy on Ebay but hate to compete with other buyers. I also checked Time Walk Games and Lost Classics; but they don't seem to have it. I'm looking into collecting the Tales series from the beginning. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2013, 07:01 PM
RE: Tales of Phantasia
Check the Nintendo Age forums to see if you can locate a Reproduction site selling them. If not you could MSG one of them to offer to send a donor cart and some cash to see if they can just make you one. Most do requests...just not sure about ToP since its so massive.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/categories.cfm?catid=6

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks, bro. Looks like a really good site. Yeah, I believe Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean were the largest games on the SNES, pushing at 48 Megabits each. It was mind blowing at the time! Except for them massive Neo Geo games though.
04-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Yea, they were definitely massive. Not to mention Star Ocean's insane compression. Imagine how large it would of been had it not had that compression. Probably 84-96Mbit. I believe the ROMs with the extra SDD1 (or whatever) chip dumped the game ROM is 9MByte total.

Someday I would love both of these two reproduced myself. That is when I have the cash and can locate a donor cart or two.

04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
(04-13-2013 11:59 AM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Yea, they were definitely massive. Not to mention Star Ocean's insane compression. Imagine how large it would of been had it not had that compression. Probably 84-96Mbit. I believe the ROMs with the extra SDD1 (or whatever) chip dumped the game ROM is 9MByte total.

Someday I would love both of these two reproduced myself. That is when I have the cash and can locate a donor cart or two.

Do you need a specific cart for that or would any cart do?
04-15-2013, 06:01 PM
For Star Ocean you pretty much have to use an original Star Ocean Japanese cart because of the special chips that are used to decompress the graphics. You can find them fairly cheap in eBay for cart only auctions. Just don't discriminate on label and cart yellowing on the back of the cart shell. You can always reprint labels and get nice donor cart shells or brand new US store cart shells.

01-14-2014, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 04:37 PM by ctophil.)
Just to update, I finally got Tales of Phantasia from TimeWalk Games. You can also read my review of the reproduction cart packaging on their web site.

I'm about 30 hours into the game, and it's quite good. The storyline is not comparable to the Final Fantasy series, but can definitely hold its own. However, the characters are quirky, and the translated dialog can be quite "adult-themed." So watch those virgin eyes of yours when reading the text. Haha. The graphics and sound can't match Final Fantasy VI, although Tales of Phantasia came out after. But the game does have full vocals in the opening song, which is quite impressive for a SNES cart. It also has voices during battles as well.

The game is more challenging than most SNES RPGs though. I got lost in dungeons at times, especially the upper Ymir Forest. The puzzles do require some thought. I wouldn't call it rocket science though. lol. Those who played it know what I mean. The soundtrack is good but not fantastic like in Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Final Fantasy VI. This is odd considering that it was also composed by famed Final Fantasy composer, Nobuo Uematsu.

In either case, this was the first time I ever played Tales of Phantasia, since I never care to play stuff on emulator and it never came to the states. As JCE would tell me some years ago, I am a "Purist" at heart. I am quite happy that I was finally able to play it after all.
01-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Glad you got that game from TimeWalk. They certainly have a good quality product...*cough* as I would know.

I need to grab a Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia translated cart so I can enjoy them on real hardware. There are more Japanese->English RPG's to get but that's another discussion. :)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Duck Tales Remake Thalack 4 2,900 03-24-2013 06:05 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT